PDA

View Full Version : Any News on 2009 lawnboy/toro 21" unit?

joed
07-12-2009, 04:18 PM
As I was told in the spring, toro has discontinued the production of the lawnboy commercial 21" mower in favour of redesigned toro version. As that redesigned toro been created? Is it available in Canada? What are the specs on this unit?

The Toro Company
07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
As I was told in the spring, toro has discontinued the production of the lawnboy commercial 21" mower in favour of redesigned toro version. As that redesigned toro been created? Is it available in Canada? What are the specs on this unit?

joed -

Yes, LawnBoy Commercial 21" walk behinds have been discontinued. Toro Commercial 21" walk behind replacement models 22155 (hand push) and 22156 (self propelled)are now available for Toro Canadian dealers to purchase from Toro. Here is the spec sheet.

The Toro Company

joed
07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, LawnBoy Commercial 21" walk behinds have been discontinued. Toro Commercial 21" walk behind replacement models 22155 (hand push) and 22156 (self propelled)are now available for Toro Canadian dealers to purchase from Toro. Here is the spec sheet.

The Toro Company

Thanks for the info. This is the exact same system has the lawnboy commercial. It appears to be a good mower but one thing that is troublesome...speed. 3.1 mph for a commercial unit is slow plus what is this variable transmission? Is it the same as the personal pace?

The Toro Company
08-05-2009, 08:49 AM

The Toro Company

Thanks for the info. This is the exact same system has the lawnboy commercial. It appears to be a good mower but one thing that is troublesome...speed. 3.1 mph for a commercial unit is slow plus what is this variable transmission? Is it the same as the personal pace?

Joed - You are correct, it's the same mower including transmission as the former Lawn-Boy commercial, only branded Toro. A company decision was made to discontinue the Lawn-Boy brand and it made good sense to keep these models alive under the Toro brand. No change is planned to increase the groundspeed.

-The Toro Company

joed
08-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by The Toro Company:
Joed - You are correct, it's the same mower including transmission as the former Lawn-Boy commercial, only branded Toro. A company decision was made to discontinue the Lawn-Boy brand and it made good sense to keep these models alive under the Toro brand. No change is planned to increase the groundspeed.

-The Toro Company

Thanks for the update. This is disappointing news since lawnboy has a big following up here in Canada. Sticking it under the red toro brand name will only serve to confuse the buyer. When we think of toro for commercial 21" units, we think of the proline series, when we think of lawnboy, we think of this unit. I've spoken to several fellow lawncare operators regarding the lawnboy commercial unit with the honda engine and variable transmission. From their perspective, the machine side discharges well but it doesn't mulch well, the bag is too small, and the transmission is too slow and too weak. The majority of them actually preferred the staggered wheel commercial lawnboys. I own several of these units and like them but their ground speed of 3.6 mph is too slow. Toro really needs to bump up the speed of these units to at least 3.8 mph and replace that variable transmission with the 3 speed transmission found on the lawnboy staggered wheel design. Toro's attempts to fit this niche market first with the pt21 in 2007 and then with the lawnboy commercial in 2008 are good attempts but fall short. I wish you would take the pt21's deck (based on the super recycler model), combine it with the Kawasaki FJV180 (also on the pt21) or the honda gsv (on the lawnboy) and combine it with the 3 speed transmission found on the old staqggered wheel lawnboys. That would make an ideal commercial mower. As it stands now, I will likely look at replacing my commercial lawnboys with the honda hrx217 series.

Last, Toro should really look at making a 26-28" mower. There's a real need for that type of mower. However, it should not be based on the exmark 26". I've had that mower and it was a disaster. An 8-9 hp engine on such a unit would work much better.

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-05-2009, 10:18 AM
That is NOT a commercial mower.

bare spot
08-21-2009, 12:09 AM

-The Toro Company
is it available in the northeast? have one of the lawnboys u mention and it's been a great mower for me(2 seasons in), thought i'd ask for myself, thanks

brucec32
08-22-2009, 06:59 PM
What this guy said! We basically need:

1. lightweight deck so it's 85 lbs, not 120.
2. reasonable top speed (3.1 sounds too low)
3. 3 speed "squeeze to go" drive system, NOT personal pace.
4. Priced $1,000 or below.

You guys are coming close but keep hamstringing each machine for some odd reason. We get get several of the above attributes but always one is missing. To get a strong easy to use fast transmission I have to get a 115 lb machine and pay $1200. I can get a lighter unit but I lose the transmission.

Take what used to be a $500 zone start superrecyler residential mower, put a 3 speed transmission with decent top speed on it ($100 extra?), beef up the wheels (maybe ($100) and sell it for $900 and your margins will be huge. Yet you're still coming in $300 below your heavier commercial units and giving up nothing in performance.

Originally Posted by The Toro Company:

Thanks for the update. This is disappointing news since lawnboy has a big following up here in Canada. Sticking it under the red toro brand name will only serve to confuse the buyer. When we think of toro for commercial 21" units, we think of the proline series, when we think of lawnboy, we think of this unit. I've spoken to several fellow lawncare operators regarding the lawnboy commercial unit with the honda engine and variable transmission. From their perspective, the machine side discharges well but it doesn't mulch well, the bag is too small, and the transmission is too slow and too weak. The majority of them actually preferred the staggered wheel commercial lawnboys. I own several of these units and like them but their ground speed of 3.6 mph is too slow. Toro really needs to bump up the speed of these units to at least 3.8 mph and replace that variable transmission with the 3 speed transmission found on the lawnboy staggered wheel design. Toro's attempts to fit this niche market first with the pt21 in 2007 and then with the lawnboy commercial in 2008 are good attempts but fall short. I wish you would take the pt21's deck (based on the super recycler model), combine it with the Kawasaki FJV180 (also on the pt21) or the honda gsv (on the lawnboy) and combine it with the 3 speed transmission found on the old staqggered wheel lawnboys. That would make an ideal commercial mower. As it stands now, I will likely look at replacing my commercial lawnboys with the honda hrx217 series.

Last, Toro should really look at making a 26-28" mower. There's a real need for that type of mower. However, it should not be based on the exmark 26". I've had that mower and it was a disaster. An 8-9 hp engine on such a unit would work much better.

bare spot
08-22-2009, 09:10 PM
does sound good, what i really like bout the lawnboy model (toro now) besides being ltwt,. is how well it bags, it don't miss much and hardly ever clogs, thought i'd add.

The Toro Company
08-24-2009, 12:03 PM
is it available in the northeast? have one of the lawnboys u mention and it's been a great mower for me(2 seasons in), thought i'd ask for myself, thanks
These models are available in the United States and Canada. However, some dealers may not elect to stock these models. If that is the case with your local Toro dealer, you can request that he/special order this product on your behalf.
Thank you,
The Toro Company

PLM-1
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
My Toro dealer wants nothing to do with Toro Commercial. I have begged for a Proline several times after my 2-stroke Lawnboy's sadly died.

hate2work
08-26-2009, 11:35 AM
joed -

The Toro Company

The 22156 is not listed on the Toro website. Did the number change?

brucec32
09-04-2009, 06:59 PM
The 22156 is not listed on the Toro website. Did the number change?

Toro's not alone here, but man, some of these rather substantial sized businesses do a terrible job of updating their websites. That should be the FIRST place to find out about new products and models. Instead we get year old information posted there, goofs (brochures for Z300 mowers that list Z400 series accessories), etc.

I'm thinking that they just don't realize how the internet has become THE place to shop and learn about equipment. If they stopped to think about it, it would be hugely advantageous of them to invest more in this, as it would save them tons of labor costs, from their customer service dept, through distributors, down to dealers, all having to field phone calls about silly stuff one could easily just look up.

I spent 15 minutes the other day at a small dealer while another potential customer had to just cool his jets waiting for the guy's time. I had a list of questions I had to ask, as the information was just not on the web.

By the way, I found out my old 3 speed 21" superrecycler's 2nd gear is also 3.1mph like this new model mentioned (22156) and I tried it in 2nd gear. It actually probably is adequate speed for most situations. So Toro may have backed into a sale here. But they owe it to lawnsite, not their own advertising, which is non-existent for this model. You can't even find it on their website, the two dealers I hit didn't have them or know about them, and I'll likely have to find one on the web to even buy one! They sure are making it hard to spend money with them.

Jason Rose
09-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Just looking at this toro, I believe it would suit me well. Good wheels and a good engine, and not costing a fortune. I only use the 21" maybe 45 minutes a week, but some day my old John Deere is going to crap out... Or I really need to give it to my dad who needs a new mower (self propelled) but refuses to buy one.

hate2work
09-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Well said, Bruce, and I agree completely.

When you check out websites these days it's kind of a crapshoot. The way I look at it is that your website is an extension of your business, and whether or not your site is well constructed and updated frequently says something about you. Sometimes it seems that some of these companies (especially the older, set-in-their ways companies) are almost resentful about having a website, almost like they'd rather not even have one, but only do just for appearances.

The Toro Company PM'd me and told me the website should be updated soon, that would be a good thing :)

brucec32
09-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Yep, the 22156 is on the website now. I saw them advertised at $850 on the web. Unfortunately according to the toro site that is without the bagger kit. I'm hoping the bagger from the super reyclers will fit, as I have some of those already.

bare spot
09-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Yep, the 22156 is on the website now. I saw them advertised at $850 on the web. Unfortunately according to the toro site that is without the bagger kit. I'm hoping the bagger from the super reyclers will fit, as I have some of those already.
idk on the bag it hangs off the back (lawnboy/now toro mower), really nothing holds it down, could try and get a picture up if that could help.

bare spot
09-20-2009, 08:08 PM

here they are:

brucec32
09-23-2009, 12:47 AM
It's very similar but different, as the current superrecycler type bag clips to the mower at the corners of the bag by hanging on a thin bar on the mower. And the older superrecycler bags are completely different.

I guess that adds $75-$100 to that $850, making it yet another commercial mower that crests $1,000 to get out of a dealership with.

I don't use 21" mowers much and at some point I'd rather the money go into a really small 32-36" machine and skip the 21's altogether. I can buy a super recycler that bags, mulches, and discharges for $499 shipped on the web. This 22156 adds a better engine ($150), slightly beefed up wheels and height adjusters ($50), and a different but similar drive system (personal pace vs 1 speed).

It should cost about $700-$750, not the $950 plus tax with the bag kit. So once again the words "commercial" seem to add cost to a 21" unit. It's improved enough to be worth it for heavy users, but to pull it out and mow a small spot for 5 or 10 minutes a couple times a day, those cheaper units make more sense. My 5 year old super recycler I paid $450 for still cranks first pull, cuts nicely, etc. I just don't like to work w/o a backup machine and was going to put that one in reserve.

I had to chuckle at the dealer the other day. Their "sale" price on a heavy duty commercial 21" toro with bbc, honda engine, etc was $1400. And it weighs about 40 lbs more. No thanks.

bare spot
04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
looking at the parts breakdown of these mowers and there's a 22156te and a 22156. anyone know what's up with the te? the price?

The Toro Company
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Bare Spot -

The TE designation represents an international model - not available for sale domestically. These units must meet CE standards for noise, guarding, decals, etc.

-The Toro Company

Dan_DeSantis
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I miss the old lawn boys, it is really a shame that there is no real side discharge commercial 21 anymore that hole in the side gets blocked up quickly in wet grass. Even my 21 proline performs very poorly in wet grass! for 1300$ I need a machine that works in all conditions.

When its wet out the proline stays on the truck and this machine goes to work! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=321059

joed
07-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I miss the old lawn boys, it is really a shame that there is no real side discharge commercial 21 anymore that hole in the side gets blocked up quickly in wet grass. Even my 21 proline performs very poorly in wet grass! for 1300$ I need a machine that works in all conditions.

When its wet out the proline stays on the truck and this machine goes to work! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=321059

Excellent point Dan. The old lawnboys (staggered wheel) are excellent. I have a 2006 model with the briggs engine on it and it is one of the best mowers I have. Side discharge is terrific. Even when the grass is wet and tall, it shoots it out, sometimes in clumps but a second pass takes care of all of it. I won't part with this unit for a long time. If you look at craiglist.ca or kijji.ca, you might be able to find some decent used ones.

balreadysaid
07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
i just ordered a toro 22155. but i didnt know it wont come with the bagger lol i guess ill be ordering more tomorow. i bought it just a push thats what i have had most my life and after i read they walkk to slow anyway i figure screw it it will be lighter this way anyhow, i pick them off the side of my trailer anyway so i dont need to start my bigger moweers up and screw arround. anyone have anything to say about it id like to hear!:drinkup: