PDA

View Full Version : New member

jramsey24
07-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey all, I'm Scott from Tuscaloosa,AL. Just got on website three days ago and have learned alot already. I have a full time job, with the equipment to make extra cash. So far I only cut my neighbor's yard. Have had several odd yards in the past, once with a real estate company which in my first summer paid for all of my equipment, and then a little. Have been interested in getting back into the business more for extra cash, and then possibly moving forward from there. My goals aren't super high, but would love to see it take off!! I started cutting and landscaping in high school (long ago). I am one that just loves cutting grass and truly seeing the instant result when finished, a clean, crisp looking yard. Anyway, I ordered cards and created a flyer to hopefully help me get it off the ground. Any more advice would be appreciated and I'll continue reading the fine posts you guys have already posted. Thanks, just wanted to introduce myself!!

bohiaa
07-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Welcome aboard Scott, like you I cut grass through high school, learned the inportance of, instant gradifaction. nothing like it.
left the landscaping business for about 15 yrs, "computer engneering" but due to the attacks on America I'm backkkkk.
We are moving into sprinkler systems next year. It looks like that the customers dictate a lot of what services to offer. here in Bellville there are only 2 companys that do sprinkler systems and after they get finished I came along and fix'em.
we cut large areas, we have NO 1/4 acer lots where I live. so this made us purchase only ZTR's.

one way to keep up is to listen to customers, find out there needs, " it will change from area to area" then provide that service. it's been my experance to crush the comp.
Just too many doing poor quality work out there.

the landscaping field can be quite rewarding, And I wish you the Best in everything that you do.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
07-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Are you licensed and insured?

jramsey24
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Are you licensed and insured?

no, not yet.

SangerLawn
07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Welcome scott!!!!

Get license if required by your state and defiantly get insurance. Nether are that expensive but you will be in a world of hurt if you need them and donít have them.

lifetree
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
... we have NO 1/4 acer lots where I live. so this made us purchase only ZTR's. ...

Isn't that unusual for the Houston area ... no 1/4 acre lots in your area ??

WGLandscapeMaintenance
07-13-2009, 11:43 PM
no, not yet.

I, as Sanger already stated, highly recommend getting licensed and insured for whatever work you do.

jramsey24
07-14-2009, 07:43 PM
passed out more flyers yesterday totaling +/-220. got 4 calls today for bids. 2 nice homes, well maintained lawns. 2 freaking JUNGLES!!! i bid on all four, with serious cleanup/ startup fees on the JUNGLES!!! the last one told me he's called 4 crews out and none have shown!! i'm willing to get my foot in the door not just out the house but in the neighborhood. truly nice homes minus this eye-sore. hopefully i can make an impact, provided they except, and other neighbors will take notice the work i did!! good day!

tinman
07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Good luck!