PDA

View Full Version : Right of way (How do they do it?)

mross350
07-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Our company had a chance to bid on spraying a local railroad. They got a price from the company that has done it in the past, and our price. Long story short, we were way to high. How in the world do these companies do this so cheap? The only thing i can think is that they are not pricing the same chemicals. We priced it using hyvar, which i know is not cheap. Surely they aren't using round-up. What esle could they be using to keep it controlled for several months? By the way we are licensed Cat. 6 ROW Any ideas?

Thanks, Marc
R&M Outdoors LLC

bug-guy
07-12-2009, 11:32 PM
look at sahara

Stillwater
07-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Our company had a chance to bid on spraying a local railroad. They got a price from the company that has done it in the past, and our price. Long story short, we were way to high. How in the world do these companies do this so cheap? The only thing i can think is that they are not pricing the same chemicals. We priced it using hyvar, which i know is not cheap. Surely they aren't using round-up. What esle could they be using to keep it controlled for several months? By the way we are licensed Cat. 6 ROW Any ideas?

Thanks, Marc
R&M Outdoors LLC

What was your rational for hyvar? did you list alternatives with your bid with corresponding prices?

mross350
07-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Sahara is more expensive than hyvar and does not work as well. Supposively the other company priced hyvar or some kind of sterilant. I don't think they used hyvar or sahara.

turf hokie
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Agent Orange

grandview (2006)
07-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Even if you both used the same stuff they maybe playing with the labor rate to get the bid. Or thinning the product out to cut price.

Runner
07-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Is prometon (like the brand name Pramitol) any cheaper than Hyvar?

Horizon Lawn
07-14-2009, 06:24 PM
They probably used spike 80 D this is what the railroads around here have used for years. It kills everything for atleast a year so they wouldnt have to spray but one time so cutting there cost for labor. I have seen spike work for as much as 2 years but you cant put it near anything that you want to live including trees.

Heidi J.
07-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Thanks, Marc
R&M Outdoors LLC

It also depends who you bid against. We have a Veg, division, and have for years.. Because it something I do alot of, I get better deals on products then you might. There are companies out there that may be crooked, but most times, veg. control contracts come with a guarantee of some sort. Watering down the products sure done help..:laugh:

Heidi J.

Grandview
07-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Maybe they have some specialized equipment or application methods that reduce their labor.

garydale
07-15-2009, 09:16 AM
What did the spec's call for:
Type of control expected?
Was a product list provided?
Method of application?
Were you trying to make a profit or a killing?

mross350
07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
I have never heard of spike 80 D I am going to check the prie on it. I want to thank everyone for all there help. I would also agree that other companies propably have equipment that can spray railroads faster than us.

mross350
07-15-2009, 05:17 PM
The specs said 150 acres, kill for as long as possible, no product specs. we are going to build the sprayer.

Heidi J.
07-15-2009, 08:01 PM
The specs said 150 acres, kill for as long as possible, no product specs. we are going to build the sprayer.

Major Vegetation is a hard business to get into. The bids are usually really precise, listing the chemicals to be used, the times to spray and all the no no's..lol Usually, the customers know the chemicals already, because of the FOIA. It's a good business though.. don't let me scare you:laugh:

Horizon Lawn
07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
The spike 80 D is a total veg. killer. I can get around here at a local co-op and its about 90 for a 5 lb bag that you disolve to spray. It does work awesome for areas where there is no chance of leaching into water. I spray alot of fence lines with it so that i dont have to worry about them for atleast a year.

Toy2
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Looking at some of the bids for ROW blow my mind, $12.00 to $15.00 an acre????????

But they come in with Bat-wings and Mexi's, paying the mower driver $8.00 an hour and the guy walking with the trimmer $6.50, 12 hour days..........

That's how alot of these guys get the work.....

Heidi J.
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Looking at some of the bids for ROW blow my mind, $12.00 to $15.00 an acre????????

But they come in with Bat-wings and Mexi's, paying the mower driver $8.00 an hour and the guy walking with the trimmer $6.50, 12 hour days..........

That's how alot of these guys get the work.....

Lol.. Not around here. But I do have an idea who he was bidding against. They come up here and bid against us.. low ballers:rolleyes: