PDA

View Full Version : Share links page, policy and ideas

mdvaden
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Feel free to share about your links page and links exchange ideas. LIkey whether or not you have a links page. How visible you make it. What you put on it. Etc..

My links page is:

http://www.mdvaden.com/links.shtml

The home page link places it one step away from the home page. Although I have a few non-landscape sites on it, anything new is expected to be tree or landscape garden related.

There is a page anchor link at the top of it, which jumps to the rest of the link policy.

One part I have never researched yet, is whether a link page can have too many links, or if there is an optiumum proportion of links to volume of text.

mikey.hill
07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Feel free to share about your links page and links exchange ideas. LIkey whether or not you have a links page. How visible you make it. What you put on it. Etc..

My links page is:

The home page link places it one step away from the home page. Although I have a few non-landscape sites on it, anything new is expected to be tree or landscape garden related.

There is a page anchor link at the top of it, which jumps to the rest of the link policy.

One part I have never researched yet, is whether a link page can have too many links, or if there is an optiumum proportion of links to volume of text.

1. Your page is in tables. Please use up to date standards so that my web browser can piece together your site accurately(i.e. CSS for you layout).
2. Your header images can be reduced to png-8's probably saving you a massive amount of download time on your page. This goes for other images as well. JPEG's are good sometime but if you use a decent tool you'll be able to see the output size after compression and make a decision based on that.
3. It is not necessary to put 50 images on 1 page. Paginate them. Also, if you want a popup for images be aware that some users may not allow popups for your site. I cannot view any of them without disabling my popup blocker. Use lightbox or something eqiv.
4. why are you using ftp? are you even using 443? what ssl data are you serving up. I looked and could not find any unless you are running another site off this server.
5. Apache? Try nginx or lighttpd at least - you'll get better response times as well as more security. Apache's a bloated pig and has no place in a production env these days. If you've made your decision based on alexa or something else keep in mind these sites have legacy code that relies on the apache project, doesn't mean your site has to.
6. .shtml? I haven't seen .shtml in years, not that it's bad.. I guess it's still good to see some reminants of pre 'we have this web thing figured out' still surviving.
7. links page, that's the worst f-ing idea ever. Why would I ever put links on my site to another site? Thats like turning on call forwarding for your business phone. If your thinking this is link building, think again ... this is poor SEO and even worse advice.

mdvaden
07-15-2009, 07:54 PM
So you are suggesting dropping links pages, and then losing half the reciprocal links of the sites on it which list my site via exchange only?

In my case, nobody on the links page is a competitor for sevices. And hardly anybody seeking specifically for landscape estimates or tree service estimates takes a path to the links page. The almost always go to background, services, estimates or contact.

mikey.hill
07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
So you are suggesting dropping links pages, and then losing half the reciprocal links of the sites on it which list my site via exchange only?

In my case, nobody on the links page is a competitor for sevices. And hardly anybody seeking specifically for landscape estimates or tree service estimates takes a path to the links page. The almost always go to background, services, estimates or contact.

Do whatever you want, it's your site. Reciprocal links are irrelevant not to mention they are frowned upon in SEO practices(aka link doping or link whoring). Links into your site should be organic not falsified to give the impression that your site is more relevant to a particular topic.

topsites
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Do whatever you want, it's your site. Reciprocal links are irrelevant not to mention they are frowned upon in SEO practices(aka link doping or link whoring). Links into your site should be organic not falsified to give the impression that your site is more relevant to a particular topic.

No...
I understand what you are saying but I also think this guy has went through the
trouble of actually finding good Web sites to trade links with, and not just anybody.

tinman
07-29-2009, 08:22 PM

My links page is:

Any local websites that would benefit other businesses in your town that you like. And a news feed for local news. Having content that benefits your immediate "tribe" helps you.