PDA

View Full Version : Stone wall production rates

JimmyStew
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Just curious as to what you generally use for production rates when figuring a dry stack stone wall. I'm working on my third wall project this summer (seems like everything happens in clumps) and I'm starting to wonder if I'm taking too long. All of the walls have been using Pennsylvania, Maine and/or New England Fieldstone. For those of you unfamiliar with these, they are generally flat stone with some odd or crusty shaped ones included. Fairly easy to work with. The wall I'm working on right now is about 16" tall, 24" wide and double faced. It seems like I'm poking along at a good clip, not stopping to fiddle with small fittings too long, but it still seems like I'm not making the progress I should.

JimmyStew
07-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Nobody wants to share???

mdlwn1
07-14-2009, 12:25 PM
I used to charge around $1200 per pallette. All depends on difficulty level and how nice you want it to look. We once did a 7 tier 30 foot drop in elevation for quite a bit more than that. Kinda depends on what the customer is looking for. Ive never tried this, but have you ever thought of running a bead of morter on each course and not be too concerned with how perfect the fit was underneith?...Always wanted to try that.

JimmyStew
07-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Not really interested in cost or pricing, just how long it takes to lay the stone.

Bru75
07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Lay stone at your own pace, everybody is different.
If it seems to be taking a long time, it is probably because you are putting in the time needed to do it right.

4Russl5
07-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Are you putting in foundation stones, through stones, caps, and maybe even coping? Every site is so different for us with staging and materials. If you are working with someone experianced youu can accomplish more square footage per day.

With all that said I am happy when I can build 10 -12 square feet per day of retaining wall. We don't often sell fences here in the NWest. My assistant & I are both dry stone masons trained through the Dry Stone Conservancy in Kentucky.

2low4NH
07-20-2009, 12:09 AM
we try and do atleast 35 sq a day per mason when doing walls regardless of type of stone. doing field stone walls we can do about 100 sq a day with 2 masons

tthomass
07-20-2009, 02:39 AM
Dry stack wall, single side........(2) pallets in one day, (2) guys.

Mortared veneer 50 SF+ pending stone.

Flat work, 100 SF.

Stillwater
07-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Not really interested in cost or pricing, just how long it takes to lay the stone.

Jimmy every wall is different, 2 walls at different locations using the same stone same style of layment can take different times, I have spent allot of time on one wall but only to blow through the second, I do not use production rates due to to many variables from job to job and I have found them to be inconsistent and unreliable

4Russl5
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
This is a great discussion in that there is such a huge range of production rates based on variables not defined in the original question.

Are you building in a 'random rubble' style, or 'coursed'?

How thick is your material?

Palletized or are you quarrying your own material?

Foundation, throughs, caps and coping stones?

We do quite a bit of tool work, work with thiner- material which means more courses, and rarely do we get to pull up to a site in front of the house with a perfect staging area to work and sort stone. We always bring in two pallets at a time and sort our material before we start.