PDA

View Full Version : Blowers - what's your general technique?

yard girl
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Ok I do feel dumb about asking this, but it seems to be the most inefficient part of my work! :) say for instance your blowing off a corner lot - drive, sidewalks & the street. I'll tell you what I do & pls tell me if you have any tips.

I start at the front door & blow away down to sidewalk, then go to closest end of sidewalk & blow toward corner of lot. 1 trip down each sidewalk "gutter" ( I like to blow clippings out of little trench made by edger) & then one more trip to corner blowing loose stuff into pile. Then go to driveway side of house & start at garage door blowing down driveway, first clearing each trench along driveway & then blow down to sidewalk taking time to make sure each drive section trench is blown out. Now all debris is at sidewalk level so I start at far right side of sidewalk, blow out trenches & walk across driveway and onto the walk heading for the first pile I made. Then go baaack to far right side & rustle the street stuff toward the mid corner & across the drive. Then finally blow that walk down to my pile. THEN go to each far corner & blow the street toward the corner. First I make a wide sweep to get stuff close to curb then blow down to the pile once it's all right on the curb. Then on low blower speed I attempt to get 1 semi neat pile together, rake it in tight & put it in a bag.

It seems to take forever to me. I need to time it I guess. But plz any tips would be awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

4.3mudder
07-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Start at one point and work your way to another. I do't go back to a spot to do something, one pass thats all. Another tip I always tell me guys. Blow with the wind, not against. You can't fight mother nature.

And keep that grass out of the flower beds.

SangerLawn
07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Start at one point and work your way to another. I do't go back to a spot to do something, one pass thats all. Another tip I always tell me guys. Blow with the wind, not against. You can't fight mother nature.

And keep that grass out of the flower beds.

I agree 100 percent. It seems like your walking WAY too much. Start at the driveway in the street. Walk to the right blowing stuff into the lawn and sidewalk. When you’re at the end of the property get on the sidewalk and start walking to the driveway cleaning blowing the side walk off. Hit any flower beds or anything else close to you on your way to the driveway. Once at the drive walk to the house while blowing half of the drive off into the lawn, again cleaning anything close to you like flower beds. Next go around the house to the right blowing. When you make it all the way around the house come back down the driveway blowing the left side off. Then the side walks on the left and then the street. As I kept saying….blow things off that are close to where you are walking instead of keep making trips across the lawn.

Lets say you do 15 lawns a day and each one takes 15 minutes. By not walking as much you can save several minutes each lawn even if it is only 1 minute. Saving 1 minute per lawn, 15 lawns, you are now able to make and extra $xx.xx simply by not making extra trips.

SangerLawn
07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
and...use the same path when trimming :walking:

4.3mudder
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
and...use the same path when trimming :walking:

Yes, I think of it as a circle, instead of lines. In a circle you don't start and stop, you go non stop. Lines, you start and stop and start and stop. One point to another. Very simple.

Bob_n_weave
07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
I edge all driveways / side walks everytime, when you blow off side walks
I hate how the clippings love to fill up the edge you just put down. Blow the clippings out of edge and it's back on side walk :angry:

SangerLawn
07-14-2009, 07:26 AM
I edge all driveways / side walks everytime, when you blow off side walks
I hate how the clippings love to fill up the edge you just put down. Blow the clippings out of edge and it's back on side walk :angry:

Lol…don’t just hold your blower without moving it. this is extremely hard to explain in words without showing. Kinda make circles with your blower.

93Chevy
07-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I use two handheld blowers and a backpack. Each handheld gets the clippings out of the edging "trench" on each side of the sidewalk. The backpack, tube tucked under arm, gets the middle of the sidewalk.

mdlwn1
07-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Edge 1st trim second then blow going with the wind starting in the street 1st. Blow all debris up onto the lawn and it will magically disapear.....cut. Kind funny ...seems like most people out there still blow debris into the street.

bohiaa
07-14-2009, 07:05 PM
It's AMAZING, I have a guy, that will blow against the wind at a LARGE hotel we service.

the 1st time he did this I jumped him, WHAT R U DOING? he told me blowing off the parking lot. I told him to turn around and look.... most of the debree was behind him.

from time to time he still does this. I just cant under stand it .....

maybe I'm getting older