PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Just starting out....

stock04srt4
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Don't know if this is the right section but...

I have recently started a lawn care company in my area. A friend calls me up and say "I did't know u started to do lawns". Well he then goes on and says that the company that is doing his now hasn't been in 3 weeks and they can't get to him for another 2 weeks becasue of equipment troubles. Any ways I go to cut his grass last weekend and the other guy shows ups without any equipment just himself and ask what im doing that, this is his yard. I'm tring to be friendly and things but. I finally start and mow, the guy keeps calling and messing with me. How much is too much and what is the best thing to do? Im just starting out and don't want a bad name or anything.
Just trying to help a friend and get some more work. Just looking for some input from people just starting out and ones that have been at it for a while.

Ps....This guy charges $40 to cut a half acre. no blowing or edging.....

SangerLawn
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
It doesnít matter what he charges, if he cant do the job he doesnít need to be holding you up. personally id laugh at him and thank him for doing such a crappy job that it boosted your name.

Im not big into fighting but I donít wear panties ether. If he keeps it up id knock him out. I donít recommend doing that but more then likely thatís how id end it

dwight1moore
07-13-2009, 09:55 PM
the heck with him, mow it

TimsLawnCareVA
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Tell him you have been contacted by the property owner and it is your lawn now, and if he has any questions speak to the property owner. By the way, what part of VA are you from?

esnipe8
07-13-2009, 10:54 PM
It doesnít matter what he charges, if he cant do the job he doesnít need to be holding you up. personally id laugh at him and thank him for doing such a crappy job that it boosted your name.

Im not big into fighting but I donít wear panties ether. If he keeps it up id knock him out. I donít recommend doing that but more then likely thatís how id end it

Adding assault to your portfolio is not a good way to earn business. Just keep doing what is right and people will trust you to take care of their property. Also, nobody owns the right to a homeowners property.
Their is a civil way to earn business. You do not want to step on anyones toes, but their is only one way to gain more accounts, and that is more than likely taking work away from other companies.
Just do whats right and you will succeed!

SangerLawn
07-13-2009, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=esnipe8;3091250]Adding assault to your portfolio is not a good way to earn business [QUOTE]

Buddy…you do what you want to but when someone starts calling me and harassing like that it is getting to close to family. When someone starts messing with family I have to draw the line at that point.

And by the way, you don’t owe any one an explanation much less him.

stock04srt4
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Tell him you have been contacted by the property owner and it is your lawn now, and if he has any questions speak to the property owner. By the way, what part of VA are you from?

from the hampton roads area...

Thanks for all the input. I guess I will let it go on for about a few more days and then will have to take my own action. But I dont think I knock him out.

esnipe8
07-14-2009, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=esnipe8;3091250]Adding assault to your portfolio is not a good way to earn business [QUOTE]

BuddyÖyou do what you want to but when someone starts calling me and harassing like that it is getting to close to family. When someone starts messing with family I have to draw the line at that point.

And by the way, you donít owe any one an explanation much less him.

Maybe I should have been more clear. Here is what I would do...
1. If it is serious enough, file a police report to cover your butt.
2. Tell the guy that he needs to back off.
3. Protect you and your crew with whatever means necessary.

That falls under my umbrella of "doing what is right"

And I am not sure what you mean by "you don't owe any one an explanation much less him"
Not sure if you're just trying to be a tough guy or what....:laugh:
Remember when people post on this forum, they are asking for an opinion from others.

Allens LawnCare
07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=SangerLawn;3091315][QUOTE=esnipe8;3091250]Adding assault to your portfolio is not a good way to earn business

Maybe I should have been more clear. Here is what I would do...
1. If it is serious enough, file a police report to cover your butt.
2. Tell the guy that he needs to back off.
3. Protect you and your crew with whatever means necessary.

That falls under my umbrella of "doing what is right"

And I am not sure what you mean by "you don't owe any one an explanation much less him"
Not sure if you're just trying to be a tough guy or what....:laugh:
Remember when people post on this forum, they are asking for an opinion from others.

I agree with every point except making contact with him, that's the police responsibility. Make sure that a report is filed incase something does happen.

topsites
07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Please know my anger's not directed at you, but if that happened to me, which it has, I would've been mad as hell too.
Except I'm smart enough to realize it's not your fault, usually, assuming certain things...

But it's like what happens when someone switches from Cable TV to Satellite, and forgets to call the Cable company to tell them?
What happens, the cable company keeps sending the bill, don't they?
And why is that?

Because it's one thing that the customer got someone else, I can tolerate as much, and I may not like it but I accept it.
But they could have CALLED to let me know!

So how about when I show up and the grass is already cut, I just bill them anyhow?
I've gone so far as to see the grass has been cut, and gone right ahead and cut it, too.
That's how mad that *%&^ makes me.
All right, rant over :laugh:

But tell your friend, the next time he plans to cancel services to at least call the other company.

Lessons learned:
BEFORE taking on a service where the customer is not satisfied with their current?
I make sure they have called to inform them of that, well...
I at least ask them if they have, and if they say no I suggest, would you please?

Yes, to avoid this very BS situation.

THC
07-15-2009, 12:49 AM

Lessons learned:
BEFORE taking on a service where the customer is not satisfied with their current?
I make sure they have called to inform them of that, well...
I at least ask them if they have, and if they say no I suggest, would you please?

Yes, to avoid this very BS situation.

I'll have to make sure about that too. Just this spring I lost a weed/feed job because another company just showed up and sprayed without notice (one of those self renewing contracts)

On the other hand, it has also worked in my favour. One time the previous company cleared my driveway for half month before realizing they didn't have the job. I still got paid for the full month.

tinman
07-15-2009, 08:37 PM
It is not "his yard" it is the property owners and he hired you. I hate it when a contractor says someone stole "his work". The work or job only belongs to the person signing the checks. That person is in charge of deciding who works there