PDA

View Full Version : ride-on motor oil

americanlawn
07-13-2009, 08:33 PM
After seeing Amsoil getting beat up on another thread, I still had many questions, so I thought I'd ask what you guys use regarding crankcase oil for your ride-on's as well as the trucks used to transport them (gas & diesel). I searched, but could not find a previous thread...hence this post. (I have my preferrences, but I'd like to learn from your experiences).

1) Synthetic vs conventional.

2) 5W vs 10 W and what time of year to switch (if you do).

3) Is changing oil & filter on a regular basis a good idea -- even if you use products such as Amsoil, etc that offer extended oil changes ?

4) How important is it to change oil on a regular basis due to dirt & debris?

5) Any difference in oil pressure with full synthetic vs semi-synthetic or conventional oil?

6) Which brand of motor oil do you prefer?

7) Do you use different motor oil in your small engines vs your trucks?

8) What is your favorite brand of motor oil?

9) Do you use synthetic or conventional products regarding tranny, transaxle, grease, etc)?

Thanks, rscvp. :usflag:

RigglePLC
07-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Briggs pump and Ride-on--30w non-detergent oil--$2.50 at Family Dollar. Change about 3 times per year. Ultra.

Truck 5W-30 Quacker State. Conventional. Change twice per year.

gregory
07-13-2009, 10:12 PM
larry i am a heavy duty service manger been in that line of work for over 15years. i can tell you i can look at a manual transmission and tell you what kind of oil it has been ran with.syn oil is alot cleaner..you really don't have a problem with dirt and debris in your oil thats what your filter is for but oil breaks down and syn does not do that it seems has fast.. also the new diesels use high pressure oil pumps to fire the injectors.that is the first thing i ask customers who come into my shop that have a running problem cheap oil and or prolonged oil changes make a truck run like crap b/c the injectors will not get the pressure they need to fire right........i run amsoil in all of my equipment along in my powerstroke..don't get me wrong if your engine is going to take a dump it will and no oil will stop that..but i believe in syn oil never had any type of engine problems related to oil........

Terraformer
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I run Shell Rotella Synthetic in all diesel engines and Mobil 1 all gas engines (auto, truck, equipment, etc.). Fresh oil and filter every spring and I don't change it again until next spring. The only exception is if equipment has been subjected to unusually harsh conditions. Been doing it for years.

FdLLawnMan
07-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I use 14w-40 Amsoil in my Chevy 3500 Duramax and change at 10,000 miles. I run Amsoil 10w-30 small engine oil in my small engines, B & S 9hp Intek, 6 hp Kawasaki, 8 hp B & S Intek, 6 Hp Honda. I run Amsoil 20w-50 in my Kohler 27 hp. I change oil in all the small engines without filters at 50 hrs and anything with a filter at 100 hrs. No oil issues at all.
I run European blend 5w-40 in my 06 Passat and change at 10,000 miles. Whenever I change the oil I change the filter, and I use a good one.

lawn king
07-14-2009, 05:43 AM
I run shell rotella 15 40 in the diesels, valvoline & casteroil 10 30 in the honda,briggs and kawasakis. I change oil and filters on the ride ons after each round.

CHARLES CUE
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM
After seeing Amsoil getting beat up on another thread, I still had many questions, so I thought I'd ask what you guys use regarding crankcase oil for your ride-on's as well as the trucks used to transport them (gas & diesel). I searched, but could not find a previous thread...hence this post. (I have my preferrences, but I'd like to learn from your experiences).

1) Synthetic vs conventional.

2) 5W vs 10 W and what time of year to switch (if you do).

3) Is changing oil & filter on a regular basis a good idea -- even if you use products such as Amsoil, etc that offer extended oil changes ?

4) How important is it to change oil on a regular basis due to dirt & debris?

5) Any difference in oil pressure with full synthetic vs semi-synthetic or conventional oil?

6) Which brand of motor oil do you prefer?

7) Do you use different motor oil in your small engines vs your trucks?

8) What is your favorite brand of motor oil?

9) Do you use synthetic or conventional products regarding tranny, transaxle, grease, etc)?

Larry
we use conventional synthetic mix oil the best of both worlds 10 w 30 in sprayer and pick up 15 w 40 in 2 diesels use additives in tranny and rear end. change oil in truck at every 15 k equipment once a year
Charles CUE

Ridin' Around
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
1) Synthetic vs conventional. Synthetic

2) 5W vs 10 W and what time of year to switch (if you do)? Amsoil's 10W- ASE small engine oil has a cold flow pour point that goes down to -39. For most applications this is going to be sufficient. In some automotive applications if colder temps are encountered then a lighter oil may be needed, but this thread is based on ride-on stuff as the title goes.

3) Is changing oil & filter on a regular basis a good idea -- even if you use products such as Amsoil, etc that offer extended oil changes? If you can extend drain intervals safely (without causing harm to the engine, which through analysis we can prove) then you are doing several things. Money savings, less oil used, less oil disposed of, synthetics reduce wear in the engine, cooler components can last longer, the list goes on.

4) How important is it to change oil on a regular basis due to dirt & debris? Proper filtration, both air & oil are extremely key in an extended drain program and are needed to maximize the life of your oil.

5) Any difference in oil pressure with full synthetic vs semi-synthetic or conventional oil? As long as your oil pressure stays above a minimum level at idle and icreases with increased rpms, small changes are nothing to be concerned about.

6) Which brand of motor oil do you prefer? I Use Amsoil products.

7) Do you use different motor oil in your small engines vs your trucks? Yes the engines are built and operate under different conditions, including RPM's, cooling type (Air cooled, oil cooled, water cooled), compression ratios, possibly fuel types (Yes Diesel is different from gas!), and different additives may be needed based on internal engine parts and or emmision components. If only one oil tye was needed oil companies would not need to produce all of the variations. Just like you can't pour engine oil in your 2 cycle trimmer & expect it to last!

8) What is your favorite brand of motor oil? See #6

9) Do you use synthetic or conventional products regarding tranny, transaxle, grease, etc)? Use synthetic everywhere to maximize the positive results, like fuel economy gains

americanlawn
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
When we switched from conventional motor oil a few years ago in our trucks, we noticed an increase of about 10 psi on the oil pressure gages immediately. From that point on, I have been sold on anything synthetic (oil, grease, etc). We also found that synthetic blend shows the same psi as full synthetic. (save a little money that way)

We run synthetic blend in our trucks (10W-30, except in winter - then we run 5W-30). In our ride-on's, we run Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 5W-30. We also use synthetic blend 10W-30 in our small engines. We've never had an engine shell out. (it's always something else) :cry:

Mechanics tell me this:
1) all oils get dirty at some point, so oil changes are important. I know with Amsoil you can re-use the oil. (Amsoil is good stuff)
2) stay away from Quaker State & Penzoil cuz they cause a build up of wax.

I should mention that we sold a Dodge pickup (Cummins diesel) with over 340,000 miles, and the motor still ran great (Rotella 15W-40). Now there are synthetic motor oils for diesels too.

Looks like I repeated myself with Q's # 6 & 8. :hammerhead: