PDA

View Full Version : 14 Year-Old Mower: Have A Look At My Poster?

Logan Graham
07-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm Logan. I'm 14 and I'm looking to make some extra cash this summer. Would you mind looking over the poster that I made to advertise my mowing/landscaping/yard work business? Is it effective? What should I change?

This is my first post :) Hope lawn site works out!

http://h.imagehost.org/0699/loganslawnslawnsitepreview.gif

youngmowin
07-13-2009, 11:41 PM
looks good dude
im 14 too
what equipment do you have

MowingMowingMowing
07-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but it is kind of late to be just starting advertising (I guess it is better than nothing though).

"Wacking" needs to be removed, that is not professional terminology.

IMO you shouldn't include your age in the ad, this will only work against you as the majority of people that will look at this will not want a young person that probably doesn't have insurance (I'm assuming this, correct me if I'm wrong), a license, experience, equipment, and so on working at their home. You might think your age can be a benefit, which at times is possible, but for this type of ad your age is only working against you.

Another thing that HAS to be changed is instead of having email me at ......., put CALL ME at ...... because I can guarantee nobody is going to email you, that is too much of a hassle for the person, they just need a telephone #.

Also, out of curiousity, how much $$$ do you expect to make from watering the yard and plants (Nobody is going to pay for this, and in the rare event they do it won't be worth your time).

Don't take any of this the wrong way, I'm trying to provide some constructive criticism for you. Good luck...

Logan Graham
07-14-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but it is kind of late to be just starting advertising (I guess it is better than nothing though).

"Wacking" needs to be removed, that is not professional terminology.

IMO you shouldn't include your age in the ad, this will only work against you as the majority of people that will look at this will not want a young person that probably doesn't have insurance (I'm assuming this, correct me if I'm wrong), a license, experience, equipment, and so on working at their home. You might think your age can be a benefit, which at times is possible, but for this type of ad your age is only working against you.

Another thing that HAS to be changed is instead of having email me at ......., put CALL ME at ...... because I can guarantee nobody is going to email you, that is too much of a hassle for the person, they just need a telephone #.

Also, out of curiousity, how much $$$ do you expect to make from watering the yard and plants (Nobody is going to pay for this, and in the rare event they do it won't be worth your time).

Don't take any of this the wrong way, I'm trying to provide some constructive criticism for you. Good luck...

That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks for all the advice. I'll certainly use your suggestions, and re-do my flyer; but I won't see you guys until next week (I'm at a camp).

I have a standard toro bagging lawn mower, a standard weed whacker (no, wait, "eater"), manpower, a rake, garden tools, gloves, an electric blower, and a hose head. Where I am, a lot of people go on vacation, and are constantly looking for people to water their plants.

I'm still debating the age thing; because someone may call and find out that I'm a 14 year-old, and be disappointed.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Hey kid. You may get criticized by some here, but not me. If you have some ambition you will go far.

I will agree, mid-July will be tough to pick up some lawns to mow, but it still can be done (vacations, etc). If you have a money goal in mind for the summer, target that, then see how many lawns you need to pick up to meet that goal.

I like your poster. Like the last guy said, trade 'wacking' for 'trimming''. And I will agree, you will probably get way more phone calls than e-mails, so focus on the phone.
I think your flower/plant watering idea is neat. I know that when I go away from home for a few days in the summer, I worry about my outdoor flowers/plants getting burnt to a crisp in the sun because I am not there to water. If I knew of someone reliable like you to come and fill the watering gap, I would give you a call and not have a problem giving you some bucks. The type of people you are looking for here are not cheapskates, but people who really care about what they have planted outside.

Best of luck kid!

Logan Graham
07-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks, I am going to go forward with it. My goal is $300 by the end of summer, but that may be unreachable, as I'm doing summer school (not because I failed). I'm a dedicated, smart, and mature worker, and I think that I will be able provide a great quality service. I don't mind being criticized. Any criticism helps.

youngmowin
07-14-2009, 12:13 AM
if i were you i would get a better blower than a electric and try a used ztr instead of a rider for productivity

Hawkshot99
07-14-2009, 12:20 AM
if i were you i would get a better blower than a electric and try a used ztr instead of a rider for productivity

His goal is to make $300 by end of summer. Slight overkill you think?

youngmowin
07-14-2009, 12:28 AM
true
if his goal is 300 then he doesnt need quality stuff
if he rely wants to make some money then go for it

lyube
07-14-2009, 12:47 AM
Skip the 14 year old part

300$ is easy, you could make that in a week if you put your mind to it.

Good luck kid! I started out small, doing what you are doing. Diversify.

Bennito, 23

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 01:22 AM
Don't put your age, that will attract the crappy cheap customers.

lyube
07-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Don't put your age, that will attract the crappy cheap customers.

It's not really that..

Pedophiles.

Watch out for your safety Kid! There is a lot of danger doing work by yourself for someone who you do not know but knows you are 14 years old.

budman163
07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Putting your age on the flyer could be a real benefit with picking up the "little old lady" customers, they LOVE to hire young people. But, you could also pick up the pedophile as well. I would probably advise you to leave it off if you aren't going to have an adult with you.

It's great to hear about a young person looking to make some money with good hard work and not just rely on their parents to give it to them for nothing. Good luck.

Heck, I wish you lived in my town so I could hire you to work for me, or even mow my yard to prove a point to my 12 year old!

Again, great job and good luck.

mowisme
07-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I agree with others..Do have one eye on possible Child molester (other eye on your mowing). I could tell you a long story when I was your age (42 years ago) that happened to me.. member of our Church too - they are out there! Also I think as others mentioned about the age thing- trimming sounds much better- phone number better- I also think the 'years of experience' kind of sounds like your trying to buffalo someone as they know your only 14. (even thou you may very well been doing it since 9-10) In their eyes 14 years of lawncare is 'years'..not 14 years old. But by eliminating your age in ad will cover that part. Maybe hit rather on dependable..and state 'good' references? my 2-cents..Geno I wish you well guy- (You put to shame two teens I know ..not mine.. who watch TV 12 hours a day and just sit around-eat- get fat)

boomer08
07-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I like your poster but I would leave out the part telling them about your age.

Yater
07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I like your poster but I would leave out the part telling them about your age.

The "mature" and 14 y/o stuff needs to go. Maybe replace it with "student" or similar. You'll still pull the old people this way.

Hell on Blades
07-14-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree!! Take off your age, change a few words.

Or leave your age and paper all the Catholic churches

Jason Rose
07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I agree, leave out the age, put "teen" or "student". As well as the other changes that were already recommended.

As for "who pays for watering"? People who go on vacation over the summer and have flowerbeds and potted plants. That's a perfect job for a teenager. I know, I did the same thing when I was that age. Worked for people in the neghiborhood when they were gone. Picked up the newspaper and mail, watered the flowers, even had a few that paid me to take care of their dog while they were away.

AGM Inc.
07-14-2009, 05:55 PM
im 16 and i started out that way. maybe not advirtising the age but i grow and grow everyday. keep it up man

Kel Klip
07-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Looks good Logan certainly sub whacking for trimming. Everyone should respect your ambition. I do good luck !

2007 dodge diesel 4x4
2003 dodge diesel 4x4
16ft enclosed trailer
18ft lanscape trailer tuffneck
x2503 dixie chopper
xw2800 dixie chopper
zd326 kubota
3 stil blowers
1 shidaiwa blower
2 stihl hedge trimmers
little wonder parking lot blower
4 echo trimmers
2 husqvarna trimmer
chainsaws sprayers
all kinds of stuff

mowerdude777
07-14-2009, 07:03 PM
looks nice

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Put energetic teenager or something like that instead of the 14 yr old.

freemason
07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
i would take out the age thing, its irrelevant to the business. you can be 44 and still be a terrible landscaper. if i was you i would have your father take the phone calls, and then you and him go out together, that way anyone who is not ok with you being 14 may think you are working with your dad. just an idea.

tinman
07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
leave age off. Good luck it looks great to me

barlowlawncare
07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
find a house with hedges so overgrown there 6ft tall, get a business card and write on the back I also do hedges. you could prob make your 300 right there