PDA

View Full Version : Going full time this year

chuacro
07-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Been mowing part-time last few years. Last year advertised late summer and picked up several accounts when it got hot and kids went back to college. I am ready for this too happen again. I retained about 90% of those customers this year. Ready to be my own boss.
Wright stander 42"
Honda 216 commercial
World lawn 28"
husk trimmer
husk blower
sthil edger
All paid for

golfnpreacher
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Last year advertised late summer and picked up several accounts when it got hot and kids went back to college. I am ready for this too happen again. I retained about 90% of those customers this year.

A great observation of the ever changing market in lawn care. As the season drags on providers tend to become tired of advertising, they think they have done all that can be done. But you've shown that even late in the season growth in accounts can, and does, occur.

GrassTec
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Great idea on advertising, this is our first year, any other ideas on advertising or best way to pick up more cutomers...Thanks

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
07-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Truck and Trailer Then word off mouth if you do good work . Then It just all starts all the calls come in. I have 4 or 5 new calls every week now (even this late of the year and it is only my 2nd year in the cutting side.

GrassTec
07-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. We are getting a trailer and truck sings done and some yard signs. We are hoping this will take off. I don't know if there are new companies that are just starting out there but I found a great option for have a company phone number without paying for one. In June me and my buddy went in together and started our lawn business, we went down the middle on everything 50 / 50 split but our main thing was what phone number are we going to use for the business his or mine. I did some searching and found google voice. You pick a phone number, set-up as many phones as you want under that phone number and when a potential customer calls that company phone number it gets directed to all the phones that are setup under that number for free. All phones ring at the same time. Check it out http://www.google.com/voice

Works great. Takes away confusion about what phone number to use. Let me know what you guys think.

Stillwater
07-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the reply. We are getting a trailer and truck sings done and some yard signs. We are hoping this will take off. I don't know if there are new companies that are just starting out there but I found a great option for have a company phone number without paying for one. In June me and my buddy went in together and started our lawn business, we went down the middle on everything 50 / 50 split but our main thing was what phone number are we going to use for the business his or mine. I did some searching and found google voice. You pick a phone number, set-up as many phones as you want under that phone number and when a potential customer calls that company phone number it gets directed to all the phones that are setup under that number for free. All phones ring at the same time. Check it out http://www.google.com/voice

Works great. Takes away confusion about what phone number to use. Let me know what you guys think.

I think this is awesome what you guys are doing and I don't know how serious you guys are or if this is a temporary gig, but somebody needs to be the boss.

Please don't let this discourage you, just make a mental note of it.

Just like an army can't win a war when the army consists of all generals. More often than not a 50/50 landscape/lawn care partnership will have the crippling problems of physical labor distribution and cash flow and expenses. Not to mention profit savings and reinvestment ie: where does it go who has access to it when,where,and how.

Who handles the phone calls when they all ring at the same time?

g21
07-20-2009, 06:44 PM
I know a lot of contractors are frustrated right now with the ecconomy and the influx of necomers in the business. Stay positive. This is a great industry and you can make a great living while building plenty of net worth for you future. I just want to encourage you to learn good business principals. Anyone can buy some equipment and start cutting grass. But if you are going to last and don't want this business to eat yo alive, I want you to remember one thing. You don't cut grass for a living. You sell manhours. That's right, you sell manhours just like a manufacturer sells widgets. Yes, there is quality and other components to selling your manhours, just like with the widgets. If it's a crappy widget, people will stop buying them! So yes you have to be good at what you do (producing the work) but you must learn good sound business principals if you are going to have a chance at growing your company into something special. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!
Tommy