PDA

View Full Version : I feel threaten by other landscapers..... Please read even though its long

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 01:07 AM
I am getting a lot of lawns in this new development where the homes go for $800,000 + I can't help that my lines are straight, I edge near the curb and beds with my trimmer and cleanup the curbs and roads.

The problem is that I am "stealing" work from this same guy and I have notice on the new lawns beer bottles smashed on the side of the road and in the grass, garbage, etc. I got a new one a few days ago just because I mowed grass that was 3 feet tall because the town or the builder never mowed it and all the people in that area smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Well this guy walks far from his house and looks at me and says your "HIRED" and says can you start this week. He says that I see you work hard and I can tell you work hard and like doing your job. He said you know that no one would mow this area not even for $150, I mowed prolly about 40 by 200 with my new mower and it didn't even bog and didn't leave clumps.

I feel that landscapers in that area hate me I got 6 more in that area and the lawn I "stole" is from a nice guy that always waives at me and his mexican workers. When the other company that I took like 4 of his which I now have about 12 homes in the same street gives me a dirty look like I'm gonna kill you and saw his red truck near my house awhile back and thats when I felt threaten. he parked 3 homes down and just sat there spyin at me and my house.

All of the homes that I got were word of mouth from one guy.

MileHigh
07-14-2009, 01:13 AM
#uck em.

Seriously....who cares, it's part of the game.

If your winning over work / accounts because of your work and not your prices...then that's awesome and something we all strive for.

It's a different story if your price is below the market rate.

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
My prices are about the same or $5 cheaper

THC
07-14-2009, 01:30 AM
You ever see that Sopranos' episode with the "Lawn Boys"?

Better watch yourself :laugh:

Tinkerer
07-14-2009, 02:44 AM
If you were really threatened you have every right to call the cops. There is this psycho that I run into now and then. Its a long story but I went to the cops about him last fall. He even showed up last year at the farm I store my equipment at. The owner of the farm doesn't tolerate tresspassers and carries a gun with in his truck. If I see this psycho on his farm again I have permission to call 911 and report this guy as a tresspasser to the police.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Call your mom.

Seriously don't worry about it its part of the game.
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
07-14-2009, 05:53 AM
your not even close to charging enough................

supercuts
07-14-2009, 06:30 AM
smile and wave to him, it makes things more fun and shows youve got a set

hackitdown
07-14-2009, 06:41 AM
smile and wave to him, it makes things more fun and shows youve got a set

That's the best approach. Give him a little toot on the horn if he doesn't see you. Or next time you see him spying on you, walk right over, smile, introduce yourself, shake his hand. I do that stuff all the time, and I'm no tough guy.

topsites
07-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Uh oh, me thinks it could be someone's lowballing.

coolluv
07-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Me thinks your right.

Dave....

coolluv
07-14-2009, 02:38 PM
My prices are about the same or $5 cheaper

Don't kid yourself into thinking its because of your work. Some maybe. But its the price difference. If you are just $5 cheaper, what happens when the next lowballer or illegal comes along. Your @$$ is gone.

Dave...

Duffster
07-14-2009, 02:48 PM
You guys are full of yourselves.

If the guy is a big enough of a a$$bag to stalk the OP maybe he is a a$$bag to his customers too.

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks duffster and from the other post I had. If I am about the same price or $5 cheaper they must be low balellers also, LOL. You guys are funny, I guess you didn't read the part about word of mouth that's something that you guys don't get I guess.

Low balling is about price but word of mouth is priceless.

coolluv
07-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks duffster and from the other post I had. If I am about the same price or $5 cheaper they must be low balellers also, LOL. You guys are funny, I guess you didn't read the part about word of mouth that's something that you guys don't get I guess.

Low balling is about price but word of mouth is priceless.

I'm curious as to the size of the lots and what your charging, and what is included in your price.

By the way, just because you are getting referrals doesn't mean your getting them because of your work. It could be, Hey have you seen... Your Name Here. This guy is giving his work away, you should call him. Yeah I will he works just as cheap or cheaper than the illegals but he speaks English.

Just a thought. Dave...

coolluv
07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
You guys are full of yourselves.

If the guy is a big enough of a a$$bag to stalk the OP maybe he is a a$$bag to his customers too.

You don't know what this guys intentions were. He could of been just checking out the competition to see if he was a legitimate business or just a lowballer out there taking food off his table. Maybe this guy is feeding his family off his business not working for free just to put new tires on his redneck Camaro for burnouts. I don't agree with threating anyone. Or trying to intimidate anyone.

Dave...

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Dave you sound like a nice guy I wonder what your relationship is with your customers. The burnout in my camaro was just a joke she sits in my garage and take it out on weekends. Sounds like your one of them. Maybe you should do quality work Dave instead of worrying about people like me and bitchin on lawnsite about law ballers. I was waiting for someone like you to blab out low baller and start crying. people like you make me laugh.

coolluv
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Dave you sound like a nice guy I wonder what your relationship is with your customers. The burnout in my camaro was just a joke she sits in my garage and take it out on weekends. Sounds like your one of them. Maybe you should do quality work Dave instead of worrying about people like me and bitchin on lawnsite about law ballers. I was waiting for someone like you to blab out low baller and start crying. people like you make me laugh.

I'm still waiting for you to answer the question about what you charge and what size the lots are and what is included in your price.

Dave...

coolluv
07-14-2009, 03:43 PM
I really am a nice guy. I just like to shake the trees and watch the monkeys fall out.:laugh:

Dave...

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah but this monkey throws coconuts, lol

coolluv
07-14-2009, 04:04 PM

Look I have nothing against you or anyone else, its just frustrating that most don't know what to charge and eventually go out of business. In the mean time they ruin the market for the guys that are trying to make a living at this. I don't know your situation but there are people that rely on this to pay their bills. Don't worry about lowballers, how can you not. Sure once you have several hundred accounts and have been in business for a while you can lose some every spring to the new guy. In this business its expected.

Lets face it, most customers care about price. Some care about quality. Some will stay with you because they trust you and you do good work. If you had to rely on this to feed your family and someone comes along and prices their work cheap because they don't know any better, and they take 10,20 accounts from you. Say 1/4 or 1/3 of your income. How would you feel? Its different when your just making extra money or working on the side. Its totally different when you are feeding a family and keeping a roof over your head. The illegals will be here until they find a better job or the construction industry comes back. The lowballers will come and go every year. When they grow up and are not in college or not living at home with mommy or daddy, they will realize that there not making enough to live on. Putting tires on the Camaro or making enough to go partying on the weekend is different than paying a mortgage and putting food on the table. Look at all the post on here about what to charge.

So off they go into working for someone else, leaving behind their lowballing legacy for the rest to hear, But the last guy was only charging me $20.

Dave...

Whitey4
07-14-2009, 04:04 PM

It is not unfair to suspect low balling here. That doesn't mean you are, but the fact that you dodge the price question does bring some suspicion.

coolluv
07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
It is not unfair to suspect low balling here. That doesn't mean you are, but the fact that you dodge the price question does bring some suspicion.

I really wasn't expecting him too. Nobody on here will tell you what they really charge and what they are really making. Most couldn't tell you what they are making even if they wanted to because they really don't know.

Dave...

TheLawnTrooper
07-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Getting all the business doesn't make me think you are a lowballer, however not answering the price question does. How much do you charge for these lawns, what does your service include, how big are the lots, and how long does it take you to complete them. Not answering these questions makes me think you are a lowballer.

On the other hand, just get the dudes plate and call the cops. When they knock on his door and tell him to knock it off, i bet he will stop. And if he doesn't, call again and he'll get arrested.

Hell on Blades
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
It seems like every time someone come on and says they're getting good referrals an accusation comes out. Don't get me wrong, I understand entirely the difference between the part timers (me) and the people who depend solely on this business to pay their bills. I'm all for charging equitable, market rates that keep everyone happy.

But don't jump to the conclusion that just because someone is a part timer that its blow money. I work 12 yards each week and depend on that money to supplement my full time UNION income. I pay the same attention to manhours, equipment costs, travel time and ultimately profit margin that each of you do. My wife thinks I'm fanatical about keeping a 90% profit margin and saving 40% of my receivables (for future equipment).

Because of the retirement package at my employer, I have no designs on quitting and going full time into lawncare and landscaping. I also have no designs on dropping out anytime before I retire 22 years from now. My goal is to grow my business, so that by the time my kids are old enough they can work thru college FOR ME, while I'm making enough to help them. I have every intention on hiring a crew as soon as necessary and keep growing. This is my second job!!!

I guess what it all comes down to is respect. If you are willing to respect what I can (and cannot) do, and trust that I'm not giving my working hours #13 thru 18 away every day; then we'll get along perfectly. If you won't respect the 20 year old mower that I'm using (because I will not finance anything) or the fact that my overhead is low, so I can charge less and make the same money, then we may.

Either way, we're both in it together... When you're working the yard next door and I hear the "Dammit, I'm out of line!!!" I'll offer you some. When I've got my head stuck up my A@@ and forget to fill my fuel cans, I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks

jfoxtrot9
07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Getting all the business doesn't make me think you are a lowballer, however not answering the price question does. How much do you charge for these lawns, what does your service include, how big are the lots, and how long does it take you to complete them. Not answering these questions makes me think you are a lowballer.

On the other hand, just get the dudes plate and call the cops. When they knock on his door and tell him to knock it off, i bet he will stop. And if he doesn't, call again and he'll get arrested.

No one on this site will give this info to anyone. Why would you expect Soloscaperman to? Seriously.

Toy2
07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
#uck em.

Seriously....who cares, it's part of the game.

If your winning over work / accounts because of your work and not your prices...then that's awesome and something we all strive for.

It's a different story if your price is below the market rate.
Everything he said, worry about yourself only.......who cares what others think? Are you trying to be buds with them? No, money is your goal....aim high..:usflag:

coolluv
07-14-2009, 05:09 PM
It seems like every time someone come on and says they're getting good referrals an accusation comes out. Don't get me wrong, I understand entirely the difference between the part timers (me) and the people who depend solely on this business to pay their bills. I'm all for charging equitable, market rates that keep everyone happy.

But don't jump to the conclusion that just because someone is a part timer that its blow money. I work 12 yards each week and depend on that money to supplement my full time UNION income. I pay the same attention to manhours, equipment costs, travel time and ultimately profit margin that each of you do. My wife thinks I'm fanatical about keeping a 90% profit margin and saving 40% of my receivables (for future equipment).

Because of the retirement package at my employer, I have no designs on quitting and going full time into lawncare and landscaping. I also have no designs on dropping out anytime before I retire 22 years from now. My goal is to grow my business, so that by the time my kids are old enough they can work thru college FOR ME, while I'm making enough to help them. I have every intention on hiring a crew as soon as necessary and keep growing. This is my second job!!!

I guess what it all comes down to is respect. If you are willing to respect what I can (and cannot) do, and trust that I'm not giving my working hours #13 thru 18 away every day; then we'll get along perfectly. If you won't respect the 20 year old mower that I'm using (because I will not finance anything) or the fact that my overhead is low, so I can charge less and make the same money, then we may.

Either way, we're both in it together... When you're working the yard next door and I hear the "Dammit, I'm out of line!!!" I'll offer you some. When I've got my head stuck up my A@@ and forget to fill my fuel cans, I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks

I would be more than happy to help a guy like you out. I respect the fact that you know what your doing and charge accordingly. Your not the problem. Part timers are not the problem if they know what the going rates are and charge accordingly. Everyone assumes that lowballers are the guys that are charging $5 less then the next guy. Thats not the problem. Its the guys that are not charging enough to be profitable and don't know it because they don't track their expenses and income. They Think they are making money but they are not. Its when they have to live on that money is when they start to track it.

By then its too late. You can't go to all your customers and say, hey you know what? Back when I was doing this on the side I was charging you way too little and now I have to live on this and I need to charge more because I'm really am not making anything after I pay my bills. What do you think their response is going to be? Sure raise my price up another $10 or $15 no problem. More like sorry dumb@$$, raise my price and I will get the next dumb@$$ to cut it. Its easy to put your gas for your equipment on the credit card and when the bill comes you just take it out of your combined income and pay it off and not think twice about it. Mower needs new blades and an oil change, take it to the dealer and get the oil changed and a new set of blades and stick it on the credit card. Same thing bill comes and your pay for it.

Hell you have money coming in from your regular job and your mowing, no big deal. Pay it and go on your way. But when your only income is that business, those purchases add up and you have to pay for them with the income that the business brings in. Not to mention the mortgage and the truck payment and the light bill and every thing else. Those $25 and $30 customers don't seem that profitable now. Its a whole different ball game when everything is riding on that business.

Dave...

Hell on Blades
07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I understand exactly. Fortunately I keep everything totally separate until the bitter end. Those that don't-- well, we can lump them right in with the people that borrowed 125% of their house value and now want to be bailed out. If anyone gets into any business and hasn't at least studied (if not figured out) what to do for how much, then it doesn't matter if you're selling beers at the ballpark, mowing lawns or if you're the CEO of a multi national company, YOU WILL FAIL.

However, what I would like to see is a little more education and less anger toward those who are too stupid to figure it out. I'm right there with you looking for work but not working for free. I'm also right with you waiting for them to fail in the dog days and to sell their six month old equipment for half what they paid. When they fail, I'll pick up the lawns at MY RATE and their equipment too. Hell, it's already started around here and its still raining two days a week.

On another note (and I know this will open up a whole new comment), I'd rather see a US Citizen mow an hour for $20, than an illegal mow for $45 to the company. HIRE AMERICAN, LIVE AMERICAN.

I hope to see you out there -- I have the truck with the red white and blue signs. :usflag:

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Wow you guys must be from Plowsite. I am not going to tell my prices because most of you guys live in CT from what I have read.

My tires on my camaro are bald, I don't party, I work hard and I don't even go to expensive places with my girl that is engaged. I want to work hard and get a house with her then marry her. I told her that we gotta live cheap because my business comes first and that's whats gonna make our future.
I wish this was side cash but its not. I worked for the big shots and ran there crews I know whats low balling and whats not. When I sell a full service customers respect me from edging, taking time to talk to them, snow plowing I bring up there garbage cans, brush off there mail boxes etc. I get people that want to do my lawns cheaper and I tell the customer that the ones that do it cheap will just jack up there price or they will be out of business. If a customer leaves me because of price I don't care because it means they weren't a worthly customer.

You guys need to grow up and that's real smart that you judge without seeing or knowing who I am and my customers. I bet I work harder then 99% of you guys and the ones that run a business with mexicans or pay there workers cash screw you. I worked for you jokes and I am happy I run my own shi#

Who here can shovel 10-18 driveways non stop and takes 8-12 hours to finish?? I get my customers bec they respect me and how hard I work. I almost had a stroke I saw blue spots when shoveling these driveways by hand and my neighbor respects that and gave me a snow plow for free. And I charge good for my driveways and lost 2 bec of the big shots that can afford to knock down $10 bucks. Don't let the big guys fool you. I have been in sales since I was 16 and I know how to sell, and work and with those 2 you can do anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys that hate are jealous because you had your parents help you out and sit on your lazy fat asses while your illegals make you money.

Hell on Blades
07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I've had your back from the get go....

From someone that came on asking for advice -- I'd rethink a few comments.

coolluv
07-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow you guys must be from Plowsite. I am not going to tell my prices because most of you guys live in CT from what I have read.

My tires on my camaro are bald, I don't party, I work hard and I don't even go to expensive places with my girl that is engaged. I want to work hard and get a house with her then marry her. I told her that we gotta live cheap because my business comes first and that's whats gonna make our future.
I wish this was side cash but its not. I worked for the big shots and ran there crews I know whats low balling and whats not. When I sell a full service customers respect me from edging, taking time to talk to them, snow plowing I bring up there garbage cans, brush off there mail boxes etc. I get people that want to do my lawns cheaper and I tell the customer that the ones that do it cheap will just jack up there price or they will be out of business. If a customer leaves me because of price I don't care because it means they weren't a worthly customer.

You guys need to grow up and that's real smart that you judge without seeing or knowing who I am and my customers. I bet I work harder then 99% of you guys and the ones that run a business with mexicans or pay there workers cash screw you. I worked for you jokes and I am happy I run my own shi#

Who here can shovel 10-18 driveways non stop and takes 8-12 hours to finish?? I get my customers bec they respect me and how hard I work. I almost had a stroke I saw blue spots when shoveling these driveways by hand and my neighbor respects that and gave me a snow plow for free. And I charge good for my driveways and lost 2 bec of the big shots that can afford to knock down $10 bucks. Don't let the big guys fool you. I have been in sales since I was 16 and I know how to sell, and work and with those 2 you can do anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys that hate are jealous because you had your parents help you out and sit on your lazy fat asses while your illegals make you money.

No one cares about your prices so they can steal your business or anything like that. Everyone should know what the market will bear in the area and price their work to fit their business. Which should be inline with most in the area. Do you think if you posted your prices for certain size lots every one in Ct. would start charging the same thing. Come on man you can't be that gullible. I could care less if people know what I charge. Its just the point that people on here will say stuff like, I put out 100 fliers and got 20 accounts. Really? Do you think that guy is lowballing? It doesn't matter if its mulch, pine straw or whatever. There are guys around me that are charging $50 a yard for mulch. $3.00 a bale for pine straw. Am I going to match those prices? Hell no! Like a wise man once said, I can go broke sitting my @$$ on the couch.

No one is going to steal you prices. No one really cares. And if they do there morons. I wanted to know because its really suspicious that all these customers are switching to your company. The problem with this site is no one will say what their making. I know why. Can you guess why that is? And no its not for tax reasons or any other nonsense. Its because most are living at home with mommy and daddy and the rest are part timers. Sure there are some on here that are making money, but look how long they had there business. And by the way I never had anything handed to me, my parents were dirt poor. Everything I have I worked my @$$ off for. My average work week for as long as I can remember has been 60 to 80 hours. Ive done things most young punks would never do.

Dave...

lawnprosteveo
07-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Low balling is about price but word of mouth is priceless.Can you get a conceal carry permit in CT? All I can say is..if I see someone parked on my street stalking me..we're gonna have a problem.

If you can carry a gun in CT I suggest you do it.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
No one cares about your prices so they can steal your business or anything like that. Everyone should know what the market will bear in the area and price their work to fit their business. Which should be inline with most in the area. Do you think if you posted your prices for certain size lots every one in Ct. would start charging the same thing. Come on man you can't be that gullible. I could care less if people know what I charge. Its just the point that people on here will say stuff like, I put out 100 fliers and got 20 accounts. Really? Do you think that guy is lowballing? It doesn't matter if its mulch, pine straw or whatever. There are guys around me that are charging $50 a yard for mulch. $3.00 a bale for pine straw. Am I going to match those prices? Hell no! Like a wise man once said, I can go broke sitting my @$$ on the couch.

No one is going to steal you prices. No one really cares. And if they do there morons. I wanted to know because its really suspicious that all these customers are switching to your company. The problem with this site is no one will say what their making. I know why. Can you guess why that is? And no its not for tax reasons or any other nonsense. Its because most are living at home with mommy and daddy and the rest are part timers. Sure there are some on here that are making money, but look how long they had there business. And by the way I never had anything handed to me, my parents were dirt poor. Everything I have I worked my @$$ off for. My average work week for as long as I can remember has been 60 to 80 hours. Ive done things most young punks would never do.

Dave...

That's true. BTW how old r u?
Posted via Mobile Device

coolluv
07-14-2009, 07:34 PM
That's true. BTW how old r u?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave...

Whitey4
07-14-2009, 07:51 PM
No one on this site will give this info to anyone. Why would you expect Soloscaperman to? Seriously.

The going market prices in my specific area are no secret... every LCO knows what it is, and it is driven down by low ballers. I charge from 24 to 30 a property and the properties range from 2.5 to 5k of turf. This is above the lowballer rate here of 17 vs. 30 for the same 5k corner property.

If you think market rates should be some sort of secret, you "just" might be a lowballer. There is a regional, even neighohood market rate. In my area it is driven down by unlicensed, uninsured lawn mower guys. You think by divulging your rates will somehow give someone else an advantage? Poppycock.

Price shoppers know how cheap they can get their lawn mowed. People who want better quality service are willing to pay for it. Telling what my rates are on this sitre won't gain or lose me a customer, not ever.

Now, if you want to talk about design and installs, fert and squirt, you have a point.... but anyone can mow a lawn, and just about anyone does.

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Whats the point of telling my prices??? Whats that going to prove no matter what a person says out of a million of people on lawn site a couple are gonna cry out low baller. If you really want to know I charge around $40 -$60 yard most don't have a lot of trimming and some have a lot. I charge by how long, detail, and if the job is risky or a bitc*

I make around $50 an hour by myself and once I get more customers I will raise there prices $2- $5 so I can be a "high baller" because I am usually in the middle.

So since I told you my price are you gonna say I am a low baller and tell me how to run my business?? I'm 24 and I pay for my stuff and I help my mom with the bills because my father was a dead beat and I help her out and my girlfriend and I are looking for a small house or apartment. You guys Happy come on I want to here the laughs I don't care LOL.

I keep getting the same people in the neighborhood because they see how I edge, and pick up sticks, and waive with a smile to the people that pass me. Maybe it's bec I don't look like a mexican or some over weight non shaved slob. The area I do have nice people and they know each other I guess there all friends to each other. I notice lawnsite it full of nosey sissy' s and someone did state in an old thread that you guys should worry about how you run your business not others.

coolluv
07-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Whats the point of telling my prices??? Whats that going to prove no matter what a person says out of a million of people on lawn site a couple are gonna cry out low baller. If you really want to know I charge around $40 -$60 yard most don't have a lot of trimming and some have a lot. I charge by how long, detail, and if the job is risky or a bitc*

I make around $50 an hour by myself and once I get more customers I will raise there prices $2- $5 so I can be a "high baller" because I am usually in the middle.

So since I told you my price are you gonna say I am a low baller and tell me how to run my business?? I'm 24 and I pay for my stuff and I help my mom with the bills because my father was a dead beat and I help her out and my girlfriend and I are looking for a small house or apartment. You guys Happy come on I want to here the laughs I don't care LOL.

I keep getting the same people in the neighborhood because they see how I edge, and pick up sticks etc on the ground and plus I don't look like a mexican or some over weight non shaved slob. The area I do have nice people and they know each other I guess there all friends to each other.

If you are charging those prices then I would say your probably in the range of most in your area. But that also depends on how large those properties are. If you are in line with the going rates then the other guys must be doing $hity work. Ive seen it happen. Guys get comfortable and get more work than they can handle and start getting sloppy. Customers sometimes notice and sometimes they don't. If its a high end neighborhood more than likely they will notice and not put up with it. Then you come along and they see that you do good work and switch.

Thats different than being a lowballer getting accounts because your cheap.

If your getting accounts because of your good work and because the other guy is doing sloppy work, then good for you.

Dave...

THC
07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
From what I understand prices are all over the board anyway so it doesn't matter. I can't believe how cheap some florida people charge..$60 a month lol.

OThers here will do an acre for $35-$40

Others say they do 1/4 acre lots for $35 and won't drop their tail gate for less.

My avg price is $30 a for 8-10,000 sq ft lots but I get $65 for a half acre.

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 08:18 PM
You think Intel tells AMD there secrets on how they run there business?? I use to think highly about this industry but everyday people on lawnsite make it look like that were back in High school with this nosey immature drama crap.

Whitey4
07-14-2009, 08:18 PM
If you are charging those prices then I would say your probably in the range of most in your area. But that also depends on how large those properties are. If you are in line with the going rates then the other guys must be doing $hity work. Ive seen it happen. Guys get comfortable and get more work than they can handle and start getting sloppy. Customers sometimes notice and sometimes they don't. If its a high end neighborhood more than likely they will notice and not put up with it. Then you come along and they see that you do good work and switch.

If your getting accounts because of your good work and because the other guy is doing sloppy work, then good for you.

Dave...

Ditto.

If you are talking about 40 to 60 dollar rates, and you are five bucks cheaper, you are no lowballer. In my area, 5 bucks cheaper would make you a low baller. There, now you have more definitively stated your pricing structure, and neither I or anyone else would SUSPECT lowballing. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Yes, quality of work leads to referrals, and it sounds like you have that working for you in spades. Nice work.

Allens LawnCare
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I had them same issue with a guy in town until he found out that I charged $15 more per cut....You'll have issues when you lose your first account to a new guy....it's part of the game, most of the time, if your doing great work they might test the waters with someone cheaper. Then they realize it was a bad idea and they'll call you back.....Protect your business, your equipment and most of all your family.....Keep growing and screw the other guy.......On the other hand don't burn any bridges, It's always good to know that you can call another local guy to help you out if your ever in a bind.....works in your favor too with gaining and refering work to each other.

THC
07-14-2009, 08:26 PM
You think Intel tells AMD there secrets on how they run there business?? I use to think highly about this industry but everyday people on lawnsite make it look like that were back in High school with this nosey immature drama crap.

In all fairness that is one of the main purposes of a forum. Bounce ideas around, get ideas, learn etc.

topsites
07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
All right now, I'm going to say something in defense of the guy...
Assuming, and I'm not saying this is the case...

But lets just say for the sake of argument that the fellow IS lowballing.

Now I don't like it either, if someone goes around quoting cheap prices to try and steal my customers,
but tough luck, if my customers are that easily swayed to run the other way then I guess they were
not really my customers to begin with.

And regardless, that still doesn't give anyone else the right to stalk him.

soloscaperman
07-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Dave...

That's what I always think and its so true I worry what happins if i start doing that. When you get too much work the first thing you notice is you don't wash and vacuum your truck anymore LOL But I will always try and spend that extra minute or two doing a good job on my lawns

airsoftamazon
07-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Low balling is when you ask the customer what the other guy is charging and charge lower. That's just wrong. I charge what I charge, regardless. If the next person comes along and hears what I charged, and says I'm cheaper than him, doesn't mean I'm low balling. I'm just cheaper than him, who knows, he may be really, really proud of his work and is charging more than anyone else. I say screw the people accusing you of that as long as you are happy with the price versus the work. Just don't try to under bid everyone else.

THEGOLDPRO
07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
where do you live in ct?

Allens LawnCare
07-15-2009, 01:03 AM
where do you live in ct?

I thought you were dead....Thanks for the JRCO rake.....or returning a call

JohnnyCuts
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Soloscape:

First off, sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders, have a good work ethic and are trying to get ahead and do things the right way early in life. I commend you for that because most kids your age are drunk and/or stoned, and can't work thier way out of a wet paper bag.

Second, just smile and wave, and keep smiling and waving until you are threatened and then protect yourself with extreme prejudice, lol. Or call the cops.

Third, if you're going to preach to the choir, do your best to check for grammatical and spelling errors or you will come off looking foolish. Just a heads up.

Good luck

tinman
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM

or competing?

barlowlawncare
07-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree I read alot of ppl on here talking bout lowballing but from what i can tell the only ppl who can afford to do this are the huge outfits with tons of mexicans working for them? When we lose a yard it's always to some big name comp with 50 employees who can do it 15bucks cheaper! Us little guys can't afford to lowball or we would lose money cutting the yard! We have four employee's all american (and yes im proud of that) we are licensed and insured and pay taxes. So if you do this you will find that if you lowball you will not be in business to long or you will be getting rid of your help and hiring illegal's. I think there is plent of work out there for everyone, and some guys choose to hire cheap labor and and make a ton of money that's them not me and I won't hate on them just for making money the way they do, I just personally choose not to, We do quality work, we try are hardest to make our customer happy. Normal service includes mowing, edging, trimming, blowing, and I always try and do just a little extra for everyone like I run the trimmer up the curb alony the street to get all the weeds I dont have to but it only takes a second and ppl appreciate it. Also while i have the blower, I blow off everything around there house even if I didnt put grass there, Ill do patio's what ever just blow the dirt and leaves off for them again don't have to but it makes ppl happy. What I charge is the same as any other LCO of my size would charge. I cant compete with the big boys, or should I say I refuse to compete because anyone can hire cheap labor, but that's there thing and I let them have it. Every once in awhile I'll lose an acct to one of them but a year or two later I get em back. Them big companies have to go out and underbid everything so they get tons of work because one by one they eventually lose every one of them, it's just lucky for them there is always new construction goin up! As for jealous nah i am polite and wave to every LCO I pass no hard feeling here you do your thing Ill do mine hopefully we both do ok for ourselves!

THEGOLDPRO
07-16-2009, 07:53 PM
I thought you were dead....Thanks for the JRCO rake.....or returning a call

yea i got sick of answering 10,000 questions about a simple dethatcher, so i just kept it, and put it on my turf tracer.

mowerdude777
07-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Watch out for your equipment

dtelawn
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
I have no idea about his prices or what ever he is or is not doing. I heard about a guy who opened store that started offering prices on things that were a little cheaper several years ago and everyone realized it and they slowly started going there to buy. Volume over profit per unit has seemed to work OK for that guy Mr Walton.

I have (stole) work from a couple guys that had gotten overloaded and the quality started to suffer and customers wanted a change.