PDA

View Full Version : Sick Shrub Problem

jeffyr
04-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a customer that it having a couple of problems with his shrubs. He has 1 sick Emerald Green Arbor and 2 Rhododendrons that are wilting a bit and have a yellowish cast when compared to others. Please take a look and give me an opinion.

thanks.

jeffyr

Having trouble with images......I will try to attach below

LawnLad
04-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Getting an error message:

"A problem has been detected.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in. "

jeffyr
04-15-2002, 02:01 PM
Here is the Rhodi. It has some insect damage from last season as you can see looking at the leaves. It is in about 80% sun and the soil is dry-moist.

jeffyr
04-15-2002, 02:02 PM
and the Arbor. It has 1 dead area near the top and is thinning from the bottom. Always has mulch under it and is in a moist-wet soil 50% sun.

LawnLad
04-15-2002, 04:10 PM
Tough to say with the rhodo from the picture. The munching on the margins could be black vine weevil. You could give the rhodo's some light fert and iron to help green them up. They could be a little chlorotic (lacking iron).

It looks like two things with the arb. One, check the flagging in the top of the arb for a broken branch - it's very site specific on the plant and most likely independent from the lower die back. Secondly check the planting height and make sure the arb is not planted too deep. Then check to see if it's sitting in water. You can check this if you have to raise the arb since the root flare may be buried. Pull any heavy mulch from the trunk and let the soil dry out. In 50% shade, the area may be too wet.

Tough to tell exactly, but these would be a couple of suggestions from 600 miles away.

BigJim
04-16-2002, 06:40 AM
Ok,good suggestions from 600 mls away,I'll try a couple from 8000.Rhodos generally suffer in summer from various sucking/chewing insects which are generally more a cosmetic problem than life threatening,If you dont want to spray them in summer you have to live with some damage occuring,As the Rhodo doesn't appear to be too big could be well worth digging it up and resiting in a more shady spot.When you replant it dig a shallow hole and plant it half out of the ground then build the soil up around it.Most Rhodos hate their roots being buried in the soil,especially if its wet.It could also be a varital problem as there are so many types of Rhodos some do have a naturally floppy habit.I'm with LawnLad on the conifer I think it has wet feet hence the die back,shifting could also help it.Cheers.......

jeffyr
04-16-2002, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I will head over there thid week to investigate.

jeffyr