PDA

View Full Version : DiabloSport for 6.4 Powerstroke

South Florida Lawns
07-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I recently got the DiabloSport Predator programmer from a friend, I'm thinking of installing it on my F550. My question is does anyone have one installed on their 6.4 and how do you like it? My dump is pretty slow loaded down with the enclosed and a load in the bed, it also gets in my opinion horrible millage for a diesel.

Do I need an exhaust and an intake to use this programmer? I don't want to hevily modify my work truck.

The thing is only used for work and is driven by my two guys 6 days a week. I got the programmer free for doing some work.

mnglocker
07-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Save it for a personal ride or sell it on ebay. Messing with a truck that pays your bills is a BAD idea. The 6.4 has been problematic enough allready, don't add more worms to the pandora's box of gears.

TXNSLighting
07-14-2009, 05:24 PM
The 6.4's have not been that problematic. youre probably thinking of the 6.0. But yeh since when do you have a 550?? Either way i wouldnt even consider putting that on it. sell it to someone else.

Marek
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
What gears do you have in it and which body ? Does the body have a cab shield? What kind of mpg are you getting ? How much weight are you pulling?

SiteSolutions
07-15-2009, 02:28 AM
If the truck is still under warranty, then save the programmer for later or sell it.

If the truck is out of warranty, why not try it out? Just don't try to crank it way up. Maybe you can get a whole mpg out of it.

I don't think I would trust anyone (ANYONE) else to drive it though, if it lets you select the power level with a switch in the cab. Too big a temptation; they'll have it crunk on the 2nd day after you install it and blow the motor up trying to drag race some chicas in a Mustang...

WH401
07-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Put the programmer in the house and leave it there. Like another poster said, don't mess with the truck that pays your bills. Plus, the newer diesel's are much more finicky than the older ones, being that they have all the new emissions equipment on them.

charmill26
07-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Get a quality programmer if you want to use one. Exhaust never hurts either

charmill26
07-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Also you get terrible mileage because you bought a 6.4 and 08 and up diesels now have DPFs on them. The only way to improve is to have that removed and your truck also needs to be programmed to run without it. I believe SCT programmers can do this

South Florida Lawns
07-15-2009, 04:24 PM
What gears do you have in it and which body ? Does the body have a cab shield? What kind of mpg are you getting ? How much weight are you pulling?

I don't know what gears are in it, where would I find that, door? I'll try and find the window sticker.

The body is a crew cab with a 12ft trash dump bed on it. All steel high sides without a cab shield.

The weight is like 7k trailer and all, the dump bed no clue mostly yard waste and trimmings but it gets heavy from rain.

bet I get 11 around town, I got a lead foot and I hate going slow, I tell my helpers to speed.

Oh and its two wheel drive.

WH401
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't know what gears are in it, where would I find that, door? I'll try and find the window sticker.

The body is a crew cab with a 12ft trash dump bed on it. All steel high sides without a cab shield.

The weight is like 7k trailer and all, the dump bed no clue mostly yard waste and trimmings but it gets heavy from rain.

bet I get 11 around town, I got a lead foot and I hate going slow, I tell my helpers to speed.

Oh and its two wheel drive.

You don't leave the wet clippings in there for any length of time, do you? That's the fastest way to rust out a bed.

TXNSLighting
07-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Its a 550 getting 11mpg in town and your complaining?? really? Thats quite good for that size of truck.

South Florida Lawns
07-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Its a 550 getting 11mpg in town and your complaining?? really? Thats quite good for that size of truck.

Its my Dodge friends that piss me off with their mid 20's mpg and they leave me at the light looking like a fool.

Will this engine break in and get better performance? This is my first diesel btw.

Oh we don't bag clippings so its really only leaves branches, and palm fronds. It does sit for maybe a week at a time till we go to the dump.

WH401
07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
You have to remember, theirs a big difference between a F-550 and a 3/4 or 1-ton truck. If you want more than enough capability for a lawn service, but speed too, than a 3/4 or 1-ton would be great. If you want a true work horse, that will pull and drive loaded after loaded mile, than the 550 is your best friend. Now I'm not saying that the 3/4 or 1-ton couldn't do it, they just won't do it as well, or as easily, as the 550. Be happy with 11 mpg on a 550. I used to have a 1/2 Dodge 1500 2wd that could only do 13 mpg in any type of driving, no matter how you drove it. 11 mpg on a truck that's the size and weight of a 550 really is pretty decent. Depending on how hard it is work, it will eventually start to break in and you may see a little better MPG, and smoother power, but I'm being optimistic on the MPG part.

South Florida Lawns
07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm putting the programmer in tonight I'll let you guys know how it goes.

ZTR_Diesel
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
If it's under warranty - don't do it. "Your warranty is voided" could be your next comment from a dealer. This is right, far & how it should be. If you think your truck is low on power, take it to the dealer and have the ECM reflashed first. Any programmer WILL leave a track in the system.

Also you may have said it in jest, but if you ask your employees to speed (that is, to break federal & state laws) this could come back to you in the form of a lawsuit should something ever happen.

Gravel Rat
07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
My F-450 weighs 9600-9800lbs empty depending on what I have for fuel and some crap in the cab. Anyhow I get 12mpg I may get 10mpg with a heavy load. Truck is a 6.0 spd with 4:30 rear axles. I wouldn't want anymore power than I have now. It is too hard on the driveline.

The F-550 you have has the exact same rear axle that is in my 03 F-450 a S110 Dana. Ford only put a 11,000lb rating on a 14,000lb rated axle. The weak link is the U joints. I'am in no hurry at all I get paid by the hour and more you stomp on the throttle more fuel your burning.

I climb the 10% grades at a speed I want to climb them at screw the traffic behind me.

brandon9996
07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
I recently got the DiabloSport Predator programmer from a friend, I'm thinking of installing it on my F550. My question is does anyone have one installed on their 6.4 and how do you like it? My dump is pretty slow loaded down with the enclosed and a load in the bed, it also gets in my opinion horrible millage for a diesel.

Do I need an exhaust and an intake to use this programmer? I don't want to hevily modify my work truck.

The thing is only used for work and is driven by my two guys 6 days a week. I got the programmer free for doing some work.

Hey man i was just going to make sure that you know what model trucks that tuner is supposed to be made for, i didnt know that diablo had a tuner out yet for the 6.4's but they might, im really behind on my market knowledge right now haha, if it works let me know! I had an 08 6.4 and sold it for a 08 gmc and now i got an 09 6.4.

TXNSLighting
07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
If the 550 is light on power, you need to take it in for a reflash, that thing shouldnt have any power issues. How bout some pics of this truck??

pclawncare
07-16-2009, 03:26 AM
If you want a hot rod buy a corvett gezz its a F550 no one advertized it as a corvett I have a dodge v 10 its not winning any races but it will pull almost anything at any speed and yes it will out pull my cummins. As for the 12 mpg really your complaining? v 10 = 6 -7 . My cummins is pushing 240,000mi never chipped its run this long w out one i figure its good for a while longer w out one. Im not a fan of tearing up trucks that make me money.

ProTouch Groundscapes
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
i love my 09 6.4L, when that turbo spools up under load, it just throws you back into your seat and has the most linear acceleration, its really fun...

STIHL GUY
07-17-2009, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=WH401;3094165]Be happy with 11 mpg on a 550.

well i only get 12 MPG in my ranger

TGM
07-17-2009, 12:52 AM
no one's ever pulled a trailer with a modified 400+ rear wheel horsepower diesel? it sure makes merging a whole lot nicer..

the DPF crap is going to kill the fuel mileage but you likely don't want to do the delete kit when you have to deal with the DOT a lot. also the power should be kept down so as the other drivers don't slip the transmission or run the egt's too high for too long (i don't know what the 6.4 are running for egt's with the twins).

South Florida Lawns
07-17-2009, 02:27 AM
Also you may have said it in jest, but if you ask your employees to speed (that is, to break federal & state laws) this could come back to you in the form of a lawsuit should something ever happen.

Lol i was kidding I just sazall the floorboard so the pedal has more down travel and they automatically go faster.

Well I decided not to put the thing in, I'll hold onto it though.

WH401
07-17-2009, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=WH401;3094165]Be happy with 11 mpg on a 550.

well i only get 12 MPG in my ranger

Yeah, but gassers and diesels are two different animals. Just for example I had mentioned that I had an 04 1500 4.7L 2wd Quad Cab that would only get 13 mpg in any kind of driving, no matter how conservative I drove. And that was empty, I would hate to see towing. I now have an 06 3500 DRW 5.9 Cummins 4wd Reg Cab and I can get as high as 18 mpg and it usually never goes below the low 15's. Personally I think that's pretty good since the 3500 weighs probably double the weight, it's 4wd, has the aerodynamics of a brick, and has an open bed where the 1500 had a cover. As far as towing, it'll do about 12 - 13 mpg. So really, 11 on a 550 is pretty good, given the size and weight of the thing, plus it probably has a 4.xx gear ratio in it.

ZTR_Diesel
07-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Lol i was kidding I just sazall the floorboard so the pedal has more down travel and they automatically go faster.

Well I decided not to put the thing in, I'll hold onto it though.

No matter at all, accelleration is like spending, if you have the income, spending will increase (generally speaking) in proportion to consume the income.

But I do reccommend increasing the pedal travel, that may get you a bet more RPM's. :dizzy: