PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailers : not meant to be pulled everyday?

buttaluv
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I was telling a guy that I was thinking of getting an enclosed trailer to run my mowers out of, he said, they aren't meant to be pulled everyday, and would fall apart in a couple of years. Have you guys heard of that?

4.3mudder
07-14-2009, 02:43 PM
LOL Huh? We have another lawn care company that runs around here 6 days a week from dusk till dawn with 7 of those trailers. Same ones. I think he is pulling your leg.

02DURAMAX
07-14-2009, 10:01 PM
thats what there built for!

J&R Landscaping
07-14-2009, 10:24 PM
As long as you buy a quality model, it should stand up to everyday use. They have some that home depot sells that I wouldn't trust for a lot of heavy activity but you get what you pay for!

Petr51488
07-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Its not going to last you 10 years without paying for itself all over with repairs and stuff... but if it lasts you 5 years with a large crew, then your doing good. It all depends how your employees are. If they dont give a crap, itll last 2 years. I bought my enclosed in 05 and it still looks 80% brand new inside, but then again, its only me and my brother...

South Florida Lawns
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Hell I'll be lucky to get 5 years outta mine. There are only a few commercial grade enclosed trailers available, unless you go all custom. Mine is falling apart fast.

I think 90% of enclosed trailers are meant for hauling ocasionally not 7 days a week all day long like landscapers do.

I'll bet the car hauler trailers will outlast a conventional cargo hauling enclosed. But then again they are heavier so it could be a trade off.

Kickin Your Grass
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Hell I'll be lucky to get 5 years outta mine. There are only a few commercial grade enclosed trailers available, unless you go all custom. Mine is falling apart fast.

I think 90% of enclosed trailers are meant for hauling ocasionally not 7 days a week all day long like landscapers do.

I'll bet the car hauler trailers will outlast a conventional cargo hauling enclosed. But then again they are heavier so it could be a trade off.

What brand of trailer do you have?

justanotherlawnguy
07-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I have to replace an axle about once a year and god knows how many tires I go through. Tire relacement is just stupid when you get a bent axle.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeereHauler
07-15-2009, 11:31 PM
i can't see cargo trailers holding up to lawn mowers very well. some companies do make landscaper trailer, heavier floors, heavier side walls......i like wells cargo, pace american, and haulmark is ok....

tell your friend hes an idiot... they have wheels and a hitch for a reason..

STIHL GUY
07-17-2009, 12:12 AM
a rined of mine runs his all day everyday and it still looks brand new

sven1277
07-17-2009, 12:53 AM
You need to look at the quality of construction. I purchased one last year. Prices ranged from $4k to $8k. I bought the $8k trailer and got crossmembers on 12" centers instead of 24" oc. Same with side walls. Also upgraded to 10K gvw. If you buy a cheap trailer and run it daily, it will degrade quickly. Definitely research it. I have an 8'by20' American Hauler.

PLS-Tx
07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Been pulling ours everyday for over 3 years. Missing a screw here and there, but still going strong.

South Florida Lawns
07-17-2009, 02:22 AM
What brand of trailer do you have?

Cargo Mate

supercuts
07-17-2009, 10:25 PM
i have a pace summit which is supposed to be upper end quality. seems when they build they dont hit studs all the time with the screws. that aside its been good. top front plastic peice broke again, its 5 years old

dwc
07-19-2009, 05:39 PM
I have a '99 WW enclosed I have pulled for 10 years now every day during the season. It is 100% heavy duty steel (even the skin) with 2 7,000lb torsion axles and load range E tires. Has the 2 5/16 bulldog hitch. The floor is the 2x6 tongue and grooved treated board floor. The trailer and even even the floor are in really good condition with the exception of paint.

This trailer is probably overkill but it's like buying a 1 ton truck instead of a Ford Ranger. The heavier built trailers will of course last longer and hold up better than the cheaper light duty enclosed trailers.

I have retired this trailer as of this year and am going to sell it since I decided to go with a Debris Systems Plus trailer.

Ramairfreak98ss
07-23-2009, 01:44 AM
thats what there built for!

well considering say 24' trailesr can be found on ebay for starting ive seen "sub 5k range", sure, theyd fall apart for what we'd use them for.

You can spend 5k-15k on a 24' long trailer... maybe 15k is overboard but dont spend 5k and use it 6 days a week in and out and think its all golden :/

topsites
07-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah we're not talking a year or two here, my open is on it's 8th year and from
the look of things I'll have to replace it sometime in the next 4...

I mean I don't think they last no 20 years, not saying it can't be done but there's
a lot of things have to be replaced and if the thing's just falling apart...

The big question is cost, my next one's going to be full aluminum but still open.

South Florida Lawns
07-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Yeah we're not talking a year or two here, my open is on it's 8th year and from
the look of things I'll have to replace it sometime in the next 4...

I mean I don't think they last no 20 years, not saying it can't be done but there's
a lot of things have to be replaced and if the thing's just falling apart...

The big question is cost, my next one's going to be full aluminum but still open.

Aluminum is way expensive and cracks. The weight savings is not worth the extra money spent. Trust me I have looked into it.

nosparkplugs
07-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Thats some total BS, no matter what type of trailer we all prefer. Build quality is key, and how you treat your trailers, I see some open trailer's that are total POS.

Loading heavy equipment is not what enclosed trailers are designed for though. Personally I don't prefer the enclosed, only because I can get more trailer for the money going open.

I was telling a guy that I was thinking of getting an enclosed trailer to run my mowers out of, he said, they aren't meant to be pulled everyday, and would fall apart in a couple of years. Have you guys heard of that?

unkownfl
07-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Enclosed haulmark here no problems use it everyday for about 6 months now have it maxed out at about 3500lbs of equipment.