PDA

View Full Version : cordless circular saw

Mike M
07-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Anyone use cordless saws? I want to know if they can handle cutting 4x4 pressure treated wood, etc. Usually wouldn't need more than that per charge if they can handle it, for occasionally assembling transformer mounts.

Mike

Pro-Scapes
07-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone use cordless saws? I want to know if they can handle cutting 4x4 pressure treated wood, etc. Usually wouldn't need more than that per charge if they can handle it, for occasionally assembling transformer mounts.

Mike

I use 4x6 for transformers. My dewalt would go thru it with 2 cuts but I carry a small stihl pruning chain saw in my trailer so I usually just cut it off with that.

My dewalt 18v circular saw is a workhorse. You could easily cut multiple posts up on a single battery. It also makes short work of 1.5 and 1.25 conduits.

David Gretzmier
07-14-2009, 08:21 PM
the dewalt 18v comes in either 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 blade, the one you want is the larger one. it can cut over 2 inches deep, so on a 4x4 or 4x6, the depth is actually 3 1/2 inches, so cutting on each side is no problem cutting through . the smaller saw only goes to 1 and 9/16, and won't go through.

Mike M
07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks, guys. Sounds good.

Billy, I didn't even think of 2 cycle equipment. I suppose I could use my stihl 290 farm boss. lol.

big_belly4ever
07-14-2009, 09:57 PM
18 volt Milwaukee. Been fine for me had mine for 9 years still going had get a new batteries thou.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-15-2009, 09:22 AM
18V NiMh Hitachi kit here... the circ. saw works great. Two cuts and you are through a 4x4 with ease.

Pro-Scapes
07-15-2009, 09:24 AM
for what they charge for new batteries you can almost buy the new tool... Here is a good hint. I picked up my dewalt 18v combo set with all the toys

Hammer drill
flashlight
angle grinder
sawzall
circular saw
impact driver
2 batteries

brand new in box not refurbished 300 bucks. I already had 2 extra batteries and a charger from my friends drill that died.

Most of the top brands wont disapoint. I used to have a ryobi set for 5 years too which never let me down but the batteries were lame.

Look at milwaukee...Makita... porter cable...dewalt... I didnt like Hitachi. I had one and the chuck wouldnt hold tight on the drill.

klkanders
07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Craftsman 19.2v combo kit here with tough plastic rolling storage.
I use the sawzall and right angle drill daily. Come to think of it I have not used the regular drill yet!

Keith

JoeyD
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
you know I got a package like Billy's but made by craftsman (18v?). It was cheap, i just wanted it for my RV to keep in the storage. I have used about every tool it came with and it works really well, including the circular saw. I was cutting oak logs with it and it worked flawlessly. So far the batteries have been really good. I have had it for almost 2 years now. Came in a nice soft case, pretty sweet. But if I was going to be using this daily or weekly without a doubt I would go with Milwaukee or Dewalt.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I have to say, the DeWalt XRP system is the bottom of the heap as far as I am concerned. The battery technology they employ does not come close to that of the Hitachi, or Milwaukee. The DeWalts are too heavy, feature poor and have been nothing but a waste of $$ for me over time. Their warranty does not come even close to that of Hitachi or Milwaukee either. (5 Full years incld. batteries for the 'red' tools!)

Pro-Scapes
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Really ? I have had no issues with battery life or performance. I even grab the cordless where I would have normally grabbed the corded drill.

On 1 battery I drilled 2 holes 3/4 of an inch in diameter and 8 inches deep in a brick wall (to pass 1/2 inche conduit) then bored 2 sidewalks 4 ft wide and installed 6 puck lights (drilled posts and installed mounting screws) on a single battery. Just the opposite of you James I have had bad luck with the hitachi stuff. Never been let down by the dewalt.

Maybe its in how we take care of our stuff... Are you running your batteries til they run out or are you topping them off and rotating them often. With Nimh cells you should not run them real low like Nicads used to preffer. Never charge a hot or warm battery either. One point you do have is the dewalt is heavy but it works.

I am looking for a small 6 or 7.2 lipo drill/driver for tree work.

Mike M
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I am looking for a small 6 or 7.2 lipo drill/driver for tree work.

I have the smaller Milwaukee drill works awesome. What is the one you are talking about?

Mark B
07-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I have gone through a few dewalt batteries. It seems they die about the same time.

Hey Billy for tree work go to lowes and look for this http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/details.php?series_id=372

Mike M
07-15-2009, 09:13 PM
That's awesome. My lowes didn't have the werner accessories I was looking for last year. My Lowes sucks. Billy even got the velcro straps for the ladder rack when he got his ladder. My Lowes didn't have that.

Hey, I'll be driving through Canada soon--I'll be able to find a "Canadian Tire" store and buy that cool modular tool belt like James has! No kidding, I'm googling Canadian Tire right now.

Here's the mastercraft tool belt with detachable components.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/search_results.jsp;jsessionid=Kp1LTrWSYtQQYMZyL3GLJtF2W2QGNxrGJX4XCPdcyTNJGhlNRJJ2!229808894?bmForm= form_endeca_search&bmFormID=1247706952588&bmUID=1247706952588&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2FAST%2Fbrowse%2F6%2FTools.jsp&bmHidden=OMNITURE_FROM&OMNITURE_FROM=Search&bmText=quick_search_term&quick_search_term=tool+belt&bmSubmit=quick_search&quick_search=Search&bmHidden=FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672839

Mark B
07-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Mike I found mine over in the ladder area. Then the other day I saw them on the ends.

Hey Mike gives us detail on what you will doing while you are up in AK. With some detail. I think it is cool. I have looked at jobs up there. I think it would be cool to do.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Mike, the 'new' Mastercraft tool belt with detachable components is not the same as the old style which has been discontinued. I would advise you to look to Sears USA that has the Cliptech system (same as the old style Mastercraft)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00948385000P

Pro-Scapes
07-15-2009, 11:19 PM
my ladder tools are much simpler... a 3 gallon bucket with everything I need in it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Billy the cliptech tool belt is a really good product. You can attach all the tools you need, drill, cable, and even a big pouch for fixtures into the various clip on components and climb up safely knowing you are not swinging a bucket of tools (leaving your hands free for climbing and rigging). When you are on the ground you can easily detach and re-attach the pouches as required.

I wear mine with full suspenders that takes the load off of the hips. (wrong side of 40 now!) It really is the best tool belt system I have ever found.

Pro-Scapes
07-16-2009, 07:18 AM
I have a nice tool belt. It just becomes annoying when your up and down then digging then on your knees putting a fixture in. Who said I climb with the bucket ?

Mike M
07-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Billy, we're talking about being up on a ladder. Ha, I was picturing you up on a ladder with a 3 gallon bucket!!! Well, I'm going with Billy's bucket idea for ground work. He must have been inspired by fishing in a swamp.

James, what the heck are you talking about--suspenders to support a tool belt?????? That's funnier than Billy's bucket.

I'll check Sears for that clip tech name, but check my link, they have many different models/set-ups of the master thing, are they all sucky?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Mike once you compare the Cliptech system to the new Mastercraft 'system' you will see what I mean. With Cliptech you are able to attach and remove the components easily, switch them out on the fly, etc. The new Mastercraft belts are basically pouches that hang from the belt on a loop. Not so good.

As for the suspenders, laugh all you want... When I am up a tree with a full compliment of tools, a cordless drill, hanger bolts, connectors, and a couple of CAST treelights there will easily be 30-35lbs lbs on that belt... a lot of weight to suspend from your hips and lower back all day long. The suspenders (part of the cliptech system) spread the weight across the shoulders and save a lot of money at the chiropractor!

Pro-Scapes
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I have back problems (tumors and swollen nerve roots) so carrying a 40 pound belt all day doesnt help matters.

Laugh at my bucket. Who said I carry it up ? Rope gets clipped to the top rung of ladder and we hoist it up. Once at the top it clips off on the ladder its right there in front of you. No digging around behind you in a belt or in a bunch of pouches you cant see.

I worked on telephone poles and probably have 5000 poles climbed via ladders and gaffs in my life. I always hated f trying to reach for things and always preffered the diddy bags that hang on the strand and lashings.

Everyone likes something different. I preffer a tool bag on the ground or a buket boss. It may have something to do with the climate as well. The last thing you want down here in 70% humidity is something cinched around your waist or holding you down.

Your back on CAST tree lights now James ? What happened to your Jem liters ? Now your on vista too ?

Mike M
07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm gonna look into hoisting up a bucket tomorrow and just hanging it on rungs as I go down. Billy, I know you got like a Fred Flintstone lunch in that bucket, too.

Pro-Scapes
07-16-2009, 05:52 PM
dont knock my bucket. It is simple and effective. No need to over complicate things.

Also if you fall with a cast tree light strapped to your side your probably going to redefine body piercing. If I fall I dont want screwdrivers and other tools to pad my fall.

SamIV
07-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Don't worry Billy, you have enough padding. Me on the other hand, I would probbly crack if I fell.

Burt

JoeyD
07-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Billy you would bounce!!! And your head is way to hard to crack! LOL

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/xbbox/Smileys/rotfl.gif

Pro-Scapes
07-16-2009, 07:07 PM
This is coming from the Cajun who doesnt do tree lights ? and from the Desk Jockey who has every bit as much padding as I do ?

Thanks guys im not feeling the Love in here.

klkanders
07-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry Billy but that was funny! Have you met Joey in person or just judging his size from those awesome video's of his?

Keith

Pro-Scapes
07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Oh yeah I met Joey. In vegas last year for lightfair. I think we both gained a few pounds while there. Nobu and Maggianos are both incredible.

Mark B
07-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Talk about someone coming out of the wood pile? Or should I say the canal?

Mike M
07-17-2009, 06:07 AM
I'll be doing an install today, Billy any tips on what to use to hang the bucket on the ladder, or should I just hammer some nails in the tree as I go down?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Ummm how about a rope?

I dont get it though... why you would want a bucket of tools suspended from a top of the ladder that has to be raised and lowered around branches is just a PITA. Alternatively, if you are carrying said bucket up the ladder and back down, you will need to manipulate it, taking your hand and attention away from the task of climbing.

Just put what you need on your belt and away you go. No obstacles in your way, full attention on the task at hand, and you have everything you need in a organized fashion in front of your face.

Sure there are more ways to skin a cat than just one, but I like to find the most efficient ways. Time is $$$

JoeyD
07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
This is coming from the Cajun who doesnt do tree lights ? and from the Desk Jockey who has every bit as much padding as I do ?

Thanks guys im not feeling the Love in here.

LOL.....Oh you know I got love for you big guy!!! But this desk jockey thing has perks....like Air Conditioning!!!!!! :laugh:

Pro-Scapes
07-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Its all good. Desk Jokeys are just thoes who could not hack it in the field.

On the bucket. Yes a rope or better yet a hook. If i didnt have back issues I would probably do the belt thing but the bucket is quick and easy. James you are missing how I do it. I climb the ladder then pull the bucket up to me. Some of us are not worried about saving 2 minutes per tree fixture like you are. We have a 12 month install season here.

JoeyD
07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
hahhahaha..........touche'........LOL