PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Optic Pool Lighting

emby
07-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Has anybody worked on a product called Fiberstars? The model is 6008 which was installed about five years ago by the pool company. It never has worked properly from day one according to the h/o.
I looked at the ends at the light source and they look pretty dirty but the sunshine was still coming through. Just trying to trouble shoot to see why it is not bright. According to the h/owner he cannot see the bottom of the pool when it is on. It has the track around the edge and four light ports inside the pool. Hopefully one of you can offer some suggestions... Thank you.

Ken

JoeyD
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Makes me wonder if the fibers are to far away from the illuminator? Might be a stupid question but is the illuminator recieving proper voltage? What lamp is in the illuminator? I am no expert but know a little about fiberstars.

emby
07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks Joey,
Good thinking on the distance. The unit is 7 feet from the edge of the pool which is acceptable to the manufacturer. Since I posted I called fiberstars out your way. After giving the tech some information they advised me to check the number of strands which should be around 600 for this size of pool and area. This should be fun to do...it might be written on the jacket or it might not. they also suggested looking at the condition of the cuts at the light source and if they are poor to redo them with a hot knife.
They said technically there should have been two light sources installed for the size of the job. Hopefully (but probably not) the pool guys installed a large enough conduit system under the concrete to increase the size of cables going to the lenses in the pool.
I will be going back on Thursday afternoon so I will update everybody then.
Hey Joey did you receive my PM?

Regards,
Ken

JoeyD
07-14-2009, 07:52 PM
I got your pm from a few weeks ago where you asked about the Envoy having stem options in which case I replied with a yes but other than that I havent got any more PM's??

The pool in my signature and in this picture has 4 or 5 fiberstar illuminators....

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/Nate27s20Greenlight20Panorama2051.jpg

The Lighting Geek
07-15-2009, 12:22 AM
make sure the proper lamp is installed. i have had the HO change it,