PDA

View Full Version : Burn marks after trimming shrubs

QuadRacer041
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Why do the ends of the plants sometimes turn brown almost like a burn mark after I trim shrubs? Mostly evergreens. Blades on my hedgetrimmers are sharp. I've npticed this at house other then ones I maintane as well.

markahurley
07-14-2009, 09:40 PM
a lot of times it depends on the type of shrubs. certain shrubs are so resilient, they never show these "burn marks" (holly, etc.) what the "burn marks" really are, at least in my experience, are partially sheared leaves--some leaves die when partially sheared, some don't. depends on the shrub.

another possibility is the blade lubrication--if you use an oil based lubricant, this can cause dead spots on shrubs as well. i have a buddy who uses vegetable oil to lubricate his blades to prevent that. whatever works!

Stillwater
07-14-2009, 11:20 PM
pretty much what Mark said, use razor sharp blades, no slop in blades, use fluid film for lube, on plants you know you will have a issue with do not trim them on days over 75 80/ (try anyways) spray plants with hose right after trimming. give those browned shrubs a very slight re trim they should look better. a hydrated shrub is less likely to brown than a thirsty one. Sometimes it is impossible to avoid you can do all of the above and it still can happen. It is also important to trim at high speed using trimmer blades and not restorative blades

DuallyVette
07-15-2009, 12:00 AM
When you trim shrubbery, the foliage that you remove WAS protecting the foliage underneath it from direct sun rays. When the sun beats down on foliage that was previously protected, the sun can scorch it. Wetting the foliage of some plants during a hot sunny day can also scorch the foliage.

spf 30+ will work :)

Stillwater
07-15-2009, 12:08 AM
When you trim shrubbery, the foliage that you remove WAS protecting the foliage underneath it from direct sun rays. When the sun beats down on foliage that was previously protected, the sun can scorch it. Wetting the foliage of some plants during a hot sunny day can also scorch the foliage.

spf 30+ will work :)

I can't think of a shrub that is trimmed with hedge trimmers that would be scorched by water. What species is scorched by water

DuallyVette
07-15-2009, 12:28 AM
I can't think of a shrub that is trimmed with hedge trimmers that would be scorched by water. What species is scorched by water

YEA THAT'S RIGHT...water scouches stuff :hammerhead:

I said that "wetting the foliage of some plants during a hot sunny day can also scorch the foliage." This is most evident with many annual flowers. I added this observation because someone recommended wetting the shrubbery in order to possibly lessen the effect of browning on newly trimmed shrubbery. I think that wetting the TENDER foliage after trimming...on a hot sunny day...may do more harm. soaking the roots should help the plants recover more quickly.

OH ....just tell me your 14 years old...and don't know what state you live in yet...

Stillwater
07-15-2009, 12:50 AM
No not 14.... but I wish I was,, been in business since 1979 serving southern MA. I live on Martha's Vineyard. do you know where that is? Why the hostile attatude did I offend you? if so I apoligize that was not my intent.

QuadRacer041
07-15-2009, 05:45 AM
I do use wd40 to lubricate the blades, maybe thats part of the problem. Stillwater, what is fluid film? Mark you are right too, the burn is usually on the partially cut leaves.

Stillwater
07-15-2009, 08:32 AM
I do use wd40 to lubricate the blades, maybe thats part of the problem. Stillwater, what is fluid film? Mark you are right too, the burn is usually on the partially cut leaves.

Hey quad, fluid film is a advanced lanolin based lube developed by the US. Navy now it is widely used in the agricultural industry. go to lawnsites home page down to where the sponsor forums are and click on the fluid film logo I think his name is dan the monitor he will send you a free can to try.

topsites
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
I think it has likely to do with trimming the plants this time of the year,
they'll do better when trimmed in spring or in fall but I also think some
browning is inevitable.

Dano50
07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey quad, fluid film is a advanced lanolin based lube developed by the US. Navy now it is widely used in the agricultural industry. go to lawnsites home page down to where the sponsor forums are and click on the fluid film logo I think his name is dan the monitor he will send you a free can to try.

Fluid Film will not burn greenery when used on hedge trimmer blades. It is a great application for the product. Plus, it really helps with clean up. Just shoot me a PM and I'll send you a sample can.

White Gardens
07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Another possibility could be that your blades are heating up extremely hot and your going to slow and scorching the freshly cut tips.

Clean them up and lube them good.

Ruben Rocha
07-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Here is a $300.00 dollar lesson.
I was having the same problem with a older extended reach echo trimmer with a articulating head.
Every time I trimmed it left ragged edges on the leaves.
It was fine the first 4 years
I thought it was due to being dull.
Finally replaced the head. It worked great until the blades hit the concrete wall.
I am talking about the end where the two blades go in and out.
The trimmer bounced on the concrete wall.
Bent the blades now back to ragged leaves again.

I don't know any way to check for this other that taking the head completely apart. Then you would need a straight edge to check it against.

DuallyVette
07-15-2009, 07:27 PM

YEA THAT'S RIGHT...water scorches stuff :hammerhead:

I said that "wetting the foliage of some plants during a hot sunny day can also scorch the foliage." This is most evident with many annual flowers. I added this observation because someone recommended wetting the shrubbery in order to possibly lessen the effect of browning on newly trimmed shrubbery. I think that wetting the TENDER foliage after trimming...on a hot sunny day...may do more harm. soaking the roots should help the plants recover more quickly.

OH ....just tell me your 14 years old...and don't know what state you live in yet...

No not 14.... but I wish I was,, been in business since 1979 serving southern MA. I live on Martha's Vineyard. do you know where that is? Why the hostile attatude did I offend you? if so I apoligize that was not my intent.

Martha's Vineyard would be a great place to live. If you put it in your signature, instead of "the US" We may get a better handle on your identity. Things are very different in all the unique areas of the country.

You saying "what kind of shrub would be scorched by water ?". may lead some to think that I had said that. I didn't ( I felt attacked), so I tried to type my response more clearly. I also get a bad rub from people that call me on the phone, with the caller ID displaying "Restricted". or an evasive location in their signature...seems less friendly :)

Truce !!! ? :) I've been an LCO since 1978

Think Green
07-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Unshapened blades are the biggest cause of leaf shear and browing of foliage.
Some species of plants is more suceptible to damge, and the use of some lubricants are to blame also. The other thing to consider is what side the exhaust port is facing while cutting!! I have seen some plants that have nice round circular burns where the muffler burned the foliage with CO2. Oh!---Be fully aware of leaking fuel lines or fuel caps.....that'll do it every time.

Yes, when the older foliage is removed and the newly grown undergrowth is exposed to the sun--it can scorch, and watering in the heat of the day will burn the tender new growth...........DBASA!!!

fl-landscapes
07-16-2009, 04:03 PM

I know where it is. use to live on the south shore and had a friend in Marion we would go out and wire line stripe bass of the vineyard and cuttyhunk, gay head. That place is beautiful! Lucky you to live there!!!!!

DuallyVette
07-16-2009, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Think Green;3095724 ,,,,,DBASA!!![/QUOTE]

DBASA ??? is tha "don't be a sh+t as*" ??

You tawkin to me ???? :)

Whitey4
07-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Martha's Vineyard would be a great place to live. If you put it in your signature, instead of "the US" We may get a better handle on your identity. Things are very different in all the unique areas of the country.

You saying "what kind of shrub would be scorched by water ?". may lead some to think that I had said that. I didn't ( I felt attacked), so I tried to type my response more clearly. I also get a bad rub from people that call me on the phone, with the caller ID displaying "Restricted". or an evasive location in their signature...seems less friendly :)

Truce !!! ? :) I've been an LCO since 1978

I would not worry too much about Stillwater... he never lays knowledge but is always taking pot shots.

He's a peanut gallery poster.

Stillwater
07-16-2009, 09:04 PM
I would not worry too much about Stillwater... he never lays knowledge but is always taking pot shots.

He's a peanut gallery poster.

Whitey this was a misunderstanding and I apologized to dually was your post necessary?