PDA

View Full Version : I want back in the business!

bdaisey
07-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Like a lot of others, I've been on here for awhile just reading and not posting anything, thought I would take a minute to introduce myself.

I just turned 20 last week and will be a junior at University of Maryland in the fall. I mowed lawns with a friend through high school and worked solo through my freshman year of college. I built up to 18 residential clients, working out of the back of a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with a 21" Toro Personal Pace (love it and it's still going strong) and cheap homeowner trimmers/blower. With 18 lawns I was a bit underpowered on equipment, but expenses were extremely low and the money was good.

This summer I am "employed" for the first time ever, working full time at a civil engineering internship. I miss making my own hours and the responsibility/challenge of running a business. I have been planning for a couple weeks now and will get back into the lawn business next season.

My plan for now is to continue mowing (I kept three accounts from last year for friends and neighbors) and picking up maintenance work while working full time. The money from this will be put towards buying a trailer and miscellaneous small equipment to do more work in the fall. When my internship ends in late August I will advertise for fall cleanups and "as-needed" lawn cuts. I am hoping to make enough from this to buy a 36"-42" WB before the start of next season when I will go back into business.

Sorry for the long post, any thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

airsoftamazon
07-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Like a lot of others, I've been on here for awhile just reading and not posting anything, thought I would take a minute to introduce myself.

I just turned 20 last week and will be a junior at University of Maryland in the fall. I mowed lawns with a friend through high school and worked solo through my freshman year of college. I built up to 18 residential clients, working out of the back of a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with a 21" Toro Personal Pace (love it and it's still going strong) and cheap homeowner trimmers/blower. With 18 lawns I was a bit underpowered on equipment, but expenses were extremely low and the money was good.

This summer I am "employed" for the first time ever, working full time at a civil engineering internship. I miss making my own hours and the responsibility/challenge of running a business. I have been planning for a couple weeks now and will get back into the lawn business next season.

My plan for now is to continue mowing (I kept three accounts from last year for friends and neighbors) and picking up maintenance work while working full time. The money from this will be put towards buying a trailer and miscellaneous small equipment to do more work in the fall. When my internship ends in late August I will advertise for fall cleanups and "as-needed" lawn cuts. I am hoping to make enough from this to buy a 36"-42" WB before the start of next season when I will go back into business.

Sorry for the long post, any thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Sounds like you have a plan, good luck. Just make sure you're doing everything legal, taxes, insurance and all. It can catch up to you and bite you, you know where.

Mr. Insurance
07-15-2009, 04:24 PM
It does sound like you have a good plan. Keep at the hard work and you will achieve your goals.

DLAWNS
07-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the site and good luck to ya!

dwight1moore
07-19-2009, 11:13 AM
welcome to the site, good luck in getting back into the business. keep us updated.

collegefundms
07-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Keep up the hardwork and dont look back.

lifetree
07-19-2009, 03:51 PM
... I just turned 20 last week and will be a junior at University of Maryland in the fall. I mowed lawns with a friend through high school and worked solo through my freshman year of college. I built up to 18 residential clients ...

I miss making my own hours and the responsibility/challenge of running a business. I have been planning for a couple weeks now and will get back into the lawn business next season. ...

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of quitting school !! No matter how much you "like the business" just be sure to finish your education ... good luck.

bdaisey
07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
thanks for all the advice and support! I'm definitely finishing school, running the business part time for now, then re-evaluating everything. Also, I will definitely be getting insured, it's crazy not to!

g21
07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
First, I'm proud of you for working your way through school. Two of my 3 boys went to college, one just getting out of Law School and the youngest is a Junior. They both swore to me that it was impossible to work and get good grades! Ya I know, they're full of crap, but I love'm anyway! Keep doing what your're doing...it sounds like a great plan. I know so many college grads even ones with a Masters and they can't land a job. The landscape industry can be very rewarding and give you a great life and plenty of independence. When you are ready, you should get your masters at the Tommy Ganz University (lol) Seriously, when you are ready, ALMA can really help you get off to healthy start doing things the right way. Keep up the good work and take as many accounting classes in as you can...you're going to need them! Good Luck!

roclin
07-22-2009, 10:36 PM
I've been out of the business for over 12 years. I took care of commercial accounts. One day I was working with my son on a installation job and he wanted to do more in the maintenance/landscape field.
Being out so long I need help in a "Introduction letter". A way to sell myself without over selling. Any help? Commercial account only.

g21
07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
I think when I was on the www.gopherforum.com site I saw that they had free resources like letters free to download. I can't remember if one was an intro letter but it's worth checking!

bdaisey
07-23-2009, 06:35 PM
sorry, no firsthand personal advice to offer here, I have never dealt with any commercial accounts. Check the site that Tommy recommended, there seems to be a lot of great free content on there.

I have also read several threads on lawnsite that deal with landing commercial accounts. Just search for things like "bidding commercial accounts" and you will find plenty of advice from others with a lot more experience than myself.

best of luck to you and your son!