PDA

View Full Version : Need help with starting an LLC

NYBrian84
07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
First off I want to say hey to everyone, this is my first post.

I wanted to know if anyone could help me/guide me in the right direction. I'm looking to start an LLC in NEW YORK (Albany County). I've been trying to figure out all day what I need to get my landscaping business up and running. I've read numerous places that in NY there are silly things you need to do in order to start an LLC. I already searched the NYS (http://appsext8.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/corpsearch.entity_search_entry) web site to see if the LLC name I want is available and it is. I also found out that I need to file the 'Article of Organization'. Now by filing this, does that meant I now formed the LLC? I also read that I have to get in touch with my local county clerk within four months of filing the Article of Organization and have the Article of Organization published in two newspapers of his/her choosing. Is there anything else I am missing here?

Also if anyone can give me any more pointers that would be great. It's probably going to be just me doing the work for now, then possibly a friend a little later down the line. I know I need insurance, is there anything else I need?

Thanks, Brian.

Hell on Blades
07-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Don't do it yourself and don't form an LLC. Hire an attorney to keep it watertight -- if you were that good with paperwork, you wouldn't be mowing lawns...Go right to incorporation, and put family on the board (if you can stand to work with your family).

Marine0311
07-15-2009, 06:39 PM
If you have a CPA, of know one. They can get it done really easy. Its alot of paper work and thats what they do. Its a little costly. So you need to have the income to support the annual costs. There annual in texas anyway. Dont use an attorney unless there a friend and not charging much.