PDA

View Full Version : Price for laying mulch?

Thechap
07-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Okay, everyone be gentle. I have a job where I need to lay 26 yards of mulch. The farthest distance I would have to wheel barrel the mulch is twenty feet. I will be laying the mulch on top of Ivy that we have pulled. Will I have to lay a barrier first? I willl be picking up the mulch using a dump trailer. Any idea what I should charge? A yard of mulch is $22.00.

Thanks for the help!!

Bryan

coolluv
07-15-2009, 04:26 PM
If you put it down 3" thick you don't need any weed barrier. As far as the Ivy goes, make sure you pulled it all out because that stuff can be a pain and is hard to get rid of once established. I charge $100 per yard installed. For 26 yards I may go down to $80 or $90 depending on the situation. You may want to get it delivered instead of getting it yourself with your dump. But then again you may have better control as to moving it around as needed if you use your trailer.

My price includes knocking down the weeds and spraying the weeds with weed killer, and establishing a new edge or cleaning up the old edge. Prices in your area may be different. There are guys here that will put down mulch for $50 a yard. Depending on the mulch, my cost is $23 to $27 a yard. I stick to my own prices and if they don't want it done because they think I'm to high, Oh well. Let the next guy have it. Find out what the high and low prices are in your area and then figure out what you need to make. 26 yards is alot of work. Don't work cheap just to get the job.

Dave...

Thechap
07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the help!!

Bryan

Chilehead
07-16-2009, 12:32 AM
$100.00 a yard installed, eh? Wow. You must be in some high-end areas.

coolluv
07-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Well most customers in my area only need 3 to 5 yards of mulch. A few weeks back I did a mulch job that was 3 yards. Nice property with nice landscaping. It had a few weeds in the front and on the sides, it also had some weeds in the back beds around the deck. There was also some leaves left over from last fall that had accumulated in the beds. I cleaned up the leaves, pulled the weeds, established a new edge, and laid the mulch. $300. Took about 3 hours not to mention an hour to go get the mulch. I had 4 hours into the job, plus the cost of the mulch. I don't work for peanuts.

Most guys around here would have charged $150 to $175 for that job. Some would have made a new edge and some would have worked with what was there. They would have made maybe $75 off that job. In 4 hours I can mow more lawns and make more than $75. In 4 hours I can make $200 or $300 by myself mowing lawns. Why would I bust my @$$ laying mulch and pulling weeds to make $75. The guys that want to do that, more power to them. I can sit on my @$$ on my Z and make more than that. Hillbilly Jim and Paco the Taco will do that work all day long for peanuts.

And you know what? They can have it.

Dave...

LSU_LAWNBOY
07-16-2009, 07:45 PM
you're so right coolluv. I did 2 jobs when i started that took about 3 hours each and i charged $75 without providing the material. My first mistake was not knowing how long it was going to take, how much shoveling to do and when you do mulch you are working hard the whole time. It sucked and i should have charged twice as much.

coolluv
07-16-2009, 11:41 PM
you're so right coolluv. I did 2 jobs when i started that took about 3 hours each and i charged $75 without providing the material. My first mistake was not knowing how long it was going to take, how much shoveling to do and when you do mulch you are working hard the whole time. It sucked and i should have charged twice as much.

Live and learn brother, live and learn.

Dave...

South Florida Lawns
07-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Damn if I could get the prices you charge up there i'd be rich! We get $55-60, with minimal prep.

coolluv
07-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Damn if I could get the prices you charge up there i'd be rich! We get $55-60, with minimal prep.

How much do figure you make per yard after all expenses? Lets say you have a mulch job that takes 3 yards. You and a helper go get the mulch. By the time you actually get to the job, say it took an hour. 2 guys can put down 3 yards in say 1 1/2 hours. No edging or weeding just throw and go. Like you said minimal prep. You have 2 1/2 hours into the job. So you grossed $165. Minus the mulch, say $75. Minus helper pay, say $30. Truck trailer gas overhead etc. say $15. Lets not forget about uncle sam, say 25% $41.

$165 - $75= $90 $90-$30= $60 $60-$15=$45 $45-$41=$4.00 profit.

$4.00 thats good money.

Dave...

Chilehead
07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
How much do figure you make per yard after all expenses? Lets say you have a mulch job that takes 3 yards. You and a helper go get the mulch. By the time you actually get to the job, say it took an hour. 2 guys can put down 3 yards in say 1 1/2 hours. No edging or weeding just throw and go. Like you said minimal prep. You have 2 1/2 hours into the job. So you grossed $165. Minus the mulch, say $75. Minus helper pay, say $30. Truck trailer gas overhead etc. say $15. Lets not forget about uncle sam, say 25% $41.

$4.00 thats good money.

Dave...

1.5 hours for 3 yards with 2 guys is kinda slow if you ask me. I can generally do about 1 yard in 30-45 minutes by myself. I don't shovel it for one--that takes too long. Normally I'll put the wheelbarrow right up against the edge of the truck's tailgate and rake it out with a bow rake. I also line the truck bed with a tarp to drag the whole load to the truck's edge as it gets emptied. It only takes about 45 seconds to fill a 6 cubic foot barrow this way. Dump it, repeat. I then spread out everything at once after it has all been dumped where it needs to go.

coolluv
07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
1.5 hours for 3 yards with 2 guys is kinda slow if you ask me. I can generally do about 1 yard in 30-45 minutes by myself. I don't shovel it for one--that takes too long. Normally I'll put the wheelbarrow right up against the edge of the truck's tailgate and rake it out with a bow rake. I also line the truck bed with a tarp to drag the whole load to the truck's edge as it gets emptied. It only takes about 45 seconds to fill a 6 cubic foot barrow this way. Dump it, repeat. I then spread out everything at once after it has all been dumped where it needs to go.

Alright so lets split the difference. Say you by yourself can do 1 yard in 40 mins. Thats still 2 hours plus an hour to go get it. You still have 3 hours in it. So eliminate the $30 for the helper, everything else stays the same. You just made $34 profit for 3 hours of busting your @$$. Doesn't seem worth it to me. But if your happy with it then thats all that matters.

Dave...

hackitdown
07-17-2009, 04:00 PM

$4.00 thats good money.

Dave...

I have to say, you usually pay tax on the profit or income, not the gross. So $41 in tax is a little high. I think one guy could do 3 yards in a couple of hours, so the $30 helper may not be required.

So $165 gross
- $75 in materials
- $15 overhead
Leaves you with $75...on which you pay your income taxes.

That said, I charge $75/yd for mulch. My area will pay it.

coolluv
07-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I have to say, you usually pay tax on the profit or income, not the gross. So $41 in tax is a little high. I think one guy could do 3 yards in a couple of hours, so the $30 helper may not be required.

So $165 gross
- $75 in materials
- $15 overhead
Leaves you with $75...on which you pay your income taxes.

That said, I charge $75/yd for mulch. My area will pay it.

Your right, my bad. Say 25% tax on $75 leaves you with $56.25. $56.25 / 3 hours = $18.75 hour. Still not worth it to me.

Dave...

godjwood
07-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Dam.. I charge anywhere from 100-125/yard depending on the level of prep etc...

hackitdown
07-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Dam.. I charge anywhere from 100-125/yard depending on the level of prep etc...

I wish...

Unfortunately, $75 seems to be the going rate here. Edging and weeding is extra. Fortunately, most mulch jobs are from 5 to 12 yards or so, since there are large house lots here. It works out well, unless it is a densly planted perennial garden where the mulch cannot be raked out. I think I need to adjust for that.

trooper8870
07-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I've got 15 yards to install on Monday. I pay 20.00 dollars per yard for mulch and charge 40.00 per yard to install which equals 900.00 dollars total for job. I admit that it is not enough, but it is so hard to get paid what you should in my area for your work. It is due to every Tom, Dick and Harry doing this work. We have guys going around in beat up clunkers full of mulch and spreading about an inch of new mulch in folks beds for 30 bucks and it looks horrible. But the folks are tickled to death that they got ther beds mulched for 30 bucks. Not realizing the beds weren't prepped and there mess was not cleaned up. Oh and i forgot, there houses get robbed within a week. Maybe they were casing the joint.

Krafty
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow $20 - $25 a yard! Around here I buy it a tractor trailer at a time wich is about 75 yard and get it delivered to my shop for $10 a yard. Man the price differences in different areas is crazy.

Brick One Lawns
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
That's a tractor trailer load though lol. Unfortunately for me, I mostly use cypress of assorted colors and that runs almost $30/yard. I charge $90/Yd for it prepped and installed. If they want the bed edges completely redefined I charge $.75plf minimum $50. If I can get away with just using a weed eater then it's included.

Krafty
07-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Wow in my area even picked up in small amounts fromt the yard natural is $13 a yard and dyed is $20. You will just have to try it out and adjust for what works best for you in your area.

W.L.M.
07-29-2009, 12:22 AM

Thats what it goes for here (pa) including edging and prep work.