PDA

View Full Version : Buying New Cab Over, Advice Please

LandscapemanFL
07-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I am in the market for a new truck. I have decided to get a COE. I figured it would meet and exceed my business needs, but I have yet to decide if I would get a dump and haul my trailer or a dove tail. I need some advice on which manufacturer has the better Price, Reliability, and Comfort. I have looked at Isuzu, UD, Mitsu Fuso, Ford and International. Really appreciate any advice on make/model and setup. Thank You

ZTR_Diesel
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Hard to go wrong with the Isuzu, well-proven trucks. Stick with diesel if at all possible.

I would have a hard time trusting the 4.5L V6 diesel in the International/Ford veichle.

BrandonV
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
we have both a mitfuso and a ford, hard to go wrong with either.

zak406
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Mitubishi fuso we have one at work and its a beats takes a pounding every day and keeps on running (i work construction)

Gravel Rat
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I would stay away from the LCF Fords the cabs are really small and I don't think I would trust the V-6 powerstroke. I would also stay away from the Sterling cabovers. A mechanic that was working with my brother has one and the truck is at its max gvw and its grossly underpowered. My brother went for a ride with the guy and the truck would barely do 37mph on flat land.

I would probably go with GMC/Isuzu cabover well proven and most reliable on the market. Many of them around here the cab rotted off before the truck died. Fenders rusted off the doors all rusted to crap. Many of the trucks seen some grossly over weight loads.

They were never good at towing but what ever you can throw on its flatdeck or cubebox it would carry it.

fl-landscapes
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I have an Isuzu npr cab over with a solid side dump body it's a diesel. Truck is great! We use it to pull a large trailer all day everyday and have the capacity for a lot of our weekly pruning on full service accounts. We also have a larger roll off dumpster truck (in my avatar) for larger clean up and install work but the isuzu gets most of the day to day work and we love the truck.

justanotherlawnguy
07-15-2009, 11:18 PM
If you are gonna haul mulch and sod and the likes go with the NPR with dump and just pull the trailer. I see alot of setups on a daily basis and the guys with the cabover/dump seem to be the most practical around here. If I had an extra $15k to buy a used dump truck, I would run that setup in a heartbeat.

If you do alot of trimming and stuff the dump would come in really handy.

Most guys around here run the isuzus or mitsubishis, few fords which I wouldn't touch and the Ud's are just stupid expensive. That's my 2 cents....
Posted via Mobile Device

ZTR_Diesel
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I would stay away from the LCF Fords the cabs are really small and I don't think I would trust the V-6 powerstroke. I would also stay away from the Sterling cabovers. A mechanic that was working with my brother has one and the truck is at its max gvw and its grossly underpowered. My brother went for a ride with the guy and the truck would barely do 37mph on flat land.

I would probably go with GMC/Isuzu cabover well proven and most reliable on the market. Many of them around here the cab rotted off before the truck died. Fenders rusted off the doors all rusted to crap. Many of the trucks seen some grossly over weight loads.

They were never good at towing but what ever you can throw on its flatdeck or cubebox it would carry it.

Gravel Rat - we agree for once! :):waving:

J&R Landscaping
07-15-2009, 11:42 PM
I would go with an Isuzu and get the largest GVW truck you could afford. This is one truck you'll have for a while!

FWIW, The UD CS1800 models got some kind of JD power award back in 2004 or 2006.

esnipe8
07-16-2009, 01:08 AM
We have ac problems with our Isuzu. Very underpowered for central cali heat....107 today! Blows just enough to feel the cool, but not hard enough to cool you down.

Gravel Rat
07-16-2009, 01:19 AM
The biggest Isuzu Cabover you would want is with a 19,000lb gvw and it has the 19.5 tires. Heck the old W45 and W55 model trucks with the weeny 16 inch tires used to carry 5 ton with ease it may not have been legal but the trucks did it. They were used as P+D trucks here for years but sold under the GMC brand never the Isuzu brand.

Hino used to build one of the best Cab overs but they are not made for the North American market thou.

LandscapemanFL
07-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I was leaning to the Isuzu NPR. I have looked into and driven the rest. I also am skeptical of the LCF and UD had a big price tag compared. Thanks for the advice. I will be looking for the best price from a few local Isuzu dealers.

lawn king
07-16-2009, 07:03 PM
7 seasons and going strong on my 2003 NPR HD turbodiesel, its been a great truck. Im expecting another seven seasons as i have approximately 65000 miles on her.

scagtiger
07-16-2009, 08:43 PM
definately go with a isuzu, gmc, or a chevy we have an 06 w3500 chevy with the 5.2 isuzu diesel and its the best truck we have ever had

Az Gardener
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
I have a UD and Fuso I bought both newly used the UD had 7-K miles and cost 29-K. The Fuso had 20-K miles and cost 20-K. Both had 14' Dump beds. I think the Fuso was the better deal.

Check your dumping charges. Here it is $20 for up to 12.5K lbs. of debris. Then by the Lb after that. My UD has a bigger box that I was excited about but I am always right up against the weight limit because of the heavier taller box. If you go over the 12.5 the bill is up around $90 and higher.

The Fuso has disk brakes all the way around and my mechanic likes that.

They both have the same weight limit but the UD you have to climb up into. The Fuso is like a pick up as far as the height goes.

The AC in both are crap. You sit right on top of the front wheels in both so the ride sucks. They are both gutless as far as power goes after driving pick ups my whole life but they get the job done and I don't have to worry about the guys getting tickets. We pull 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailers and go up some pretty steep inclines for some of our homes on the mountains here in Phoenix.

The guy I bought the Fuso from has Isuzus now and he says he regrets selling the Fuso

I bought Diesels but these engines will long outlive the everything else about the rigs as we only put 7-9 K miles per year on them. I didn't have to pay the premium for the diesels by buying used. But everything about these rigs is expensive. The oil changes and fuel filters are expensive. The tires are expensive the brakes are expensive. I would probably go with the reg gas engines for future purchases.

Hope this helps it is a big purchase. I went to a credit union and got approved for a $$ amount then went shopping. As long as the truck was 10% below KBB (what they thought I should be putting as a down payment) and not more than 5 years old it was a slam dunk. It was easy a year ago it would probably be even easier now as far as finding the rig. Who knows about the financing.

LandscapemanFL
07-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks Az, That was really helpful. I am still looking and I should look at the local credit union first. I have looked at a few, just waiting to see a great buy. Thank You everyone for your advice and help.

South Florida Lawns
07-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Get an Isuzu NPR HD diesel auto! I personally like the box truck and or the landscape flatbeds. The dump truck setup with an open or enclosed are nice, I just hate pulling trailers.

wellbuilt
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Well i have a ford lcf and like it but I was hit in the rear Axel a month ago and still cant get the parts to fix it . This is a huge down side . John

ConstSvcs
07-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I was leaning to the Isuzu NPR. I have looked into and driven the rest. I also am skeptical of the LCF and UD had a big price tag compared. Thanks for the advice. I will be looking for the best price from a few local Isuzu dealers.

As one poster noted " you'll have this truck for a long time"

That you will.............and with that in mind please at least look at the NRR. I flew down to your state two winters ago and bought a privately owned '02 FRR for my roll-off project. Unfortunately, the successor to my FRR is now the NRR which is a turbocharged 4 cyl. not the turbo 6cyl that was available in FRR in '02

I would say if stay in the class 5 truck class even if it's on the light end. You won't be sorry.

Just my 2cents

Bunton Guy
08-12-2009, 11:14 PM
What about financing one of these badboys? Im in need of another work truck pretty bad. Where do you go to finance a commercial truck? I've found a couple used low mileage cabovers for a great price. But I can't find anyone who will finance one....most companies say they only finance gas pickup trucks less than one ton.

lawn king
08-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Isuzu has made noteworthy inprovements since i purchased in 2003. More hp, larger cab, 6 speed tranny & much better suspension on the front axle to improve the ride.