PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of me getting a Craftsman.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Right now I need a 21" on a yard that I do weekly and I'm thinking of getting a used Crapsman for 150.00. It has a 6.5 hp, bagger, self propelled.

4.3mudder
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
You should be able to get a mower just like that cheaper. Why don't you look for a used Toro 21 commercial because maybe later on you will get more yards that require a 21. You can find some good deals on them, 250-400 bucks. Screw that homeowner crap.

KCfireman
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
No Comment.

93Chevy
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Bad enough it's a craftsman...

but used to boot.

Drop the account and you'll be better off than with that POS.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:35 PM
How long do you think that a commercial unit would last me?

Cuttinitclose
07-15-2009, 11:36 PM
You can buy a new Crapsman for that on sale here. I regret buying one.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:36 PM
No Comment.

That was one:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
You can buy a new Crapsman for that on sale here. I regret buying one.

This is a higher end unit, brand new they go for 350.00 - 400.00.

I don't care what you guys say, I was an electrician's helper for 3 yrs and I know Craftsman makes excellent tools. I haven't had much experience with their lawncare equipment though.

4.3mudder
07-15-2009, 11:39 PM
How long do you think that a commercial unit would last me?

Hell of a lot longer than homeowner crap. You maintain it, it will treat you well. I have 2 of them, one with the kawasaki 5 horse, and the 2 cycle Suzuki. The 2 cycle will last forever. The others maybe about the same, kepe the oil and filter changed it will last. The decks are so much better, the transmissions, everything is so much better. I would invest in a used one, 1000 bucks is way too high for a new one. I know they have many on Craigslist, especially here is Dallas, bunch of them.

4.3mudder
07-15-2009, 11:41 PM

I don't care what you guys say, I was an electrician's helper for 3 yrs and I know Craftsman makes excellent tools. I haven't had much experience with their lawncare equipment though.

The Craftsman tools are good, but the lawncare is junk, plain junk. Cub Cadet formerly MTD make 400 puch mower, same, junk too. All that stamped deck crap. I know I have that Troy Bilt ZTR, but I was starting out and cash was tight, probably be selling it soon.

Cuttinitclose
07-15-2009, 11:41 PM

Tools are great, lifetime warranty on handtools, etc. Lawn care equip.... SUCKS!

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Hell of a lot longer than homeowner crap. You maintain it, it will treat you well. I have 2 of them, one with the kawasaki 5 horse, and the 2 cycle Suzuki. The 2 cycle will last forever. The others maybe about the same, kepe the oil and filter changed it will last. The decks are so much better, the transmissions, everything is so much better. I would invest in a used one, 1000 bucks is way too high for a new one. I know they have many on Craigslist, especially here is Dallas, bunch of them.

Look at my equipment list you know that I don't normally get homeowner, but being I'd only use it on 1 account right now, and in a pinch at other times I think it would last longer.

Also I'm looking at the math, I could buy 4 of these for the price of 1 used commercial.

I don't think there will be too much productivity difference.

4.3mudder
07-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Look at my equipment list you know that I don't normally get homeowner, but being I'd only use it on 1 account right now, and in a pinch at other times I think it would last longer.

Also I'm looking at the math, I could buy 4 of these for the price of 1 used commercial.

I don't think there will be too much productivity difference.

Well, if you are only doing one and you only plan on doing one no it is not worth buying a commercial mower, but you have to look into the future into you maybe getting more stamp yards, small yards that you need to use a 21. Those homeowner are not made to be run day in day out. Everything on them is practically disposable. I don't like those briggs engines either.

4.3mudder
07-15-2009, 11:49 PM
I never thought I would get a whole lot more yards, that's why I have that 60 inch Lazer Z now, for more productivity. You have to work you way up on the scale. But for me when it comes to a push mower and I see I can get a decent used commcerial for the price of a new one, the commcerial is in my eyes.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, if you are only doing one and you only plan on doing one no it is not worth buying a commercial mower, but you have to look into the future into you maybe getting more stamp yards, small yards that you need to use a 21. Those homeowner are not made to be run day in day out. Everything on them is practically disposable. I don't like those briggs engines either.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/grd/1268433167.html

My 36" fits everything, but this ONLY because there is a step to get into this backyard(like 3 - 4 ft tall)

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I will check CL and QQ for a commercial push unit though.

BadRancher
07-15-2009, 11:54 PM
If I were you and I were looking for one, I'd go for a used honda on C/L or something.. I definately wouldn't be paying 150.00 for it. I got a troybilt that was pretty much new for 120.00, the guy wanted 150.00 for it. Use the leverage of cash money and pull itn out in front of him.

4.3mudder
07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/grd/1268433167.html

My 36" fits everything, but this ONLY because there is a step to get into this backyard(like 3 - 4 ft tall)

LOL hmm, he has a commercial mower now, I wonder why?

That might have been a back up for a small landscape outfit, or a homeowner. But, the way it was worded was that is might have been in a landscape outfit, who knows. I would keep digging. You might come across something with a Honda engine.

4.3mudder
07-15-2009, 11:57 PM
I will check CL and QQ for a commercial push unit though.

I'm sure there would be some deals, but if you don't plan on getting more small yards then I would not sweat it.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-15-2009, 11:57 PM
If I were you and I were looking for one, I'd go for a used honda on C/L or something.. I definately wouldn't be paying 150.00 for it. I got a troybilt that was pretty much new for 120.00, the guy wanted 150.00 for it. Use the leverage of cash money and pull itn out in front of him.

Cash talks. I know that. I plan on bringing crisp benny and seeing what he is going to say.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm sure there would be some deals, but if you don't plan on getting more small yards then I would not sweat it.

Its just a weird yard. Here there isn't too many yards with steps leading up to the backyard. Its really flat here.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Why was the thread moved??? I don't get it? I'm NOT starting a biz.

BadRancher
07-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Cash talks. I know that. I plan on bringing crisp benny and seeing what he is going to say.

If they say no, just tell them, "dang, thats all I bought with me." Works every time. Good luck. BTW a craftsman push mower isn't that bad.

93Chevy
07-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Can you rig up some kind of 2x8 ramps to get your 36" up the steps?

Just curious.

Allens LawnCare
07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Craftsman mowers suck, I bought a new 6.75 hp self propelled for some small sidewalk strips I do. I'm thinking about rebuilding my Snapper highvac and cutting my loss with the craftsman...It starts first pull but bogs down to easily. My 5hp Snapper would cut anything.

mbsudd
07-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Ive got a craftsman lawn tractor that ive used for 11 years. it is still going strong and has a real pretty cut. it might break down tomorrow but its been a good one. and a rule of thumb If you take care of it it will last as long as a commercial anything will IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT THAT IS KEY

Dodge2
07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Craftsman mowers are not that bad. I have a 6 briggs engine on mine(push, the self-propeled ones suck) and it never bogs down with side discharge or cutting about 1.5 feet of grass mulching. The only two problems with mine are a small gas tank(runs about 1 hour) and bad wheels plastic, but I just picked up some steel wheels with ball bearings.

Jay Ray
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I use a 21 quite a bit for trim mower, dog pens, tight spots, slopes. Last season my old Lawn Boy and Snapper Hi-Vac 6-speed both went down around the same time. I was working near Sears and just went over and got a rear-propelled 21 on sale to finish the day and the week.

The Craftsman is okay, but as soon as the other 21's had parts and I had them repaired, the Craftsman sits as a backup. It is passable, but not preferable.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
I use a 21 quite a bit for trim mower, dog pens, tight spots, slopes. Last season my old Lawn Boy and Snapper Hi-Vac 6-speed both went down around the same time. I was working near Sears and just went over and got a rear-propelled 21 on sale to finish the day and the week.

The Craftsman is okay, but as soon as the other 21's had parts and I had them repaired, the Craftsman sits as a backup. It is passable, but not preferable.

Honest, thoughtful, good answer. WOW! Thanks.

STIHL GUY
07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
craftsman makes great tools but the power equipment is nothing to brag abouut

Allens LawnCare
07-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Ive got a craftsman lawn tractor that ive used for 11 years. it is still going strong and has a real pretty cut. it might break down tomorrow but its been a good one. and a rule of thumb If you take care of it it will last as long as a commercial anything will IF YOU TAKE CARE OF IT THAT IS KEY

Your kidding right, it doesn't matter how well you take care of it. There are a lot of differences between commercial and residential...yes if you take care of it, it being the repair bills because the bearings went and the spindles went, idler pulls, hydros....Blade tip speeds are different, engines offered are different.......the list goes on and on. Residential machines are just that, made for occasional use. Not everyday use, that's why they're cheaper to buy.

mbsudd
07-17-2009, 01:21 PM
And there are commercial equipment that has been replaced after a year. thats all you hear from people thats done this work for awhile commercial, commercial all you pay for these days is the name on it. so point is there is commercial stuff that are pos also. the craftsman i benn using has been through eveything you can imagine i cut a yard other day that was nothing but kudzu. ive took care of it and it has lasted longer than some commercial im sure.

mowerdude777
07-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Look for a used toro or snapper, I got both mine for 40 and 50 and they rock

jeffslawnservice
07-17-2009, 11:57 PM
So far when I have bought equipment I have bought a used commercial 21'' lawn boy - good decision
used echo SRM-210 - good decision
new craftsman bp - very very very bad decision
I've had the blower less than half a year and its already starting to break and it does not compare to my bosses red max blower that i use at work. Dont but homeowner equipment it doesnt last and just plain sucks. Just my 2 cents though.

LouisianaLawnboy
07-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Look for a used toro or snapper, I got both mine for 40 and 50 and they rock

I'm lazy. I want self propelled with a bagger.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
07-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed on these forums that many posters have the mindset that there's only one quality of residential mowers you can buy and that is thru Lowes, Home Depot, Sears or go and get a commercial mower at a independent dealer.

Hello- wake-up call- there are Simplicity, John Deere dealers and many others that sell higher end residential/light commercial mowers, that yes they have many grease fittings, are serviceable, have readily available replacement parts, dealer support, etc.

These mowers sell for a $1000 and more ABOVE the prices of mowers that are available at the big box stores.

For example- the John Deere 100 series of tractors they sell in Lowes and Home Depot is not even in the same league as the 300 series they only sell at a John Deere dealer but then again the 300 series cost over $1200 more.

You DO get something for the extra money you spend.

What makes a mower a commercial mower is more than just building a mower with heavy gauge deck, bolt on a strong engine then calling it a day.

There's more to it like making the mower easy to service, having parts readily available, many grease fittings, dealer support,etc. But keep in mind there are high end residential/light commercial mowers being sold that have these same benefits too.

dKoester
07-18-2009, 02:22 AM
You can get some good ones off craigslist for $40-50 bucks. Keep the oil changed, blades sharpened and filter cleaned. And let the machine cut at its speed that way there is no stress on the engine and you should be in good shape. Test them out before you buy'em.

93Chevy
07-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, because Craftsman is the only manufacture that makes a self-propelled model.

Allens LawnCare
07-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Look for a Snapper Highvac used, they're self propelled and don't bog in heavier stuff, I just dumped my 22" crapsman for a honda with the micro cut or whatever it is(Double Blades), what a difference

wallace lawn service
07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
im buying a craftsman and the thing wont engage or disengage i think it may be a cable

wallace lawn service
07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
any info would be great

TheUfan
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Right now I need a 21" on a yard that I do weekly and I'm thinking of getting a used Crapsman for 150.00. It has a 6.5 hp, bagger, self propelled.

Bought one. Lasted 1 month. Doesn't react well to daily abuse I mean use. I use toro now although honda makes a hell of unit.