PDA

View Full Version : Life of Hustler

freshcut
04-15-2002, 10:46 PM
I'm looking at buying a home with 5 acres of land and all five acres needs cut. I'm new at the grass cutting business and seeing the prices of commercial mowers, I'd like to know the life span for a Hustler Super Z 25hp Kaw? If properly maintened, how many years would one of these puppies last? I plan to just cut the 5 acre lot for the house only. Also, what are the maint. costs like? How often do you change blades, belts, oil etc. and whats the estimated cost per season? I'm new at this and I'm trying to determine if it makes sense to spend 7 - 9k for a mower or spend less and replace it sooner. Thanks

Artman
04-16-2002, 08:53 AM
The frame, deck, engine, and hydraulics and all other components and parts are engineered for 500 to 750 hours useage PER YEAR! Life expectancy, under normal use, with proper maintenance is 5 to 10 years for commercial cutting. A homeowner mowing 5 acres will take around 2 hours per week times 25 cuttings equals 50 hours per year. That means you can expect a lifetime of around 50 years!

Doc Pete
04-17-2002, 06:50 AM
Maybe time goes faster in New Jersey, but after cutting lawns for almost 40 years, and unless I really miss my guess, I think you might want to add a bit more time to that "2 hour estimate" for cutting your 5 acres. Otherwise, you might be bringing your mower back to the dealer saying something is wrong with it.
Pete:confused:

Artman
04-17-2002, 09:00 AM
My handy-dandy mowing calculator says that at 5 miles per hour, with a 60" deck a person can mow 3.03 acres per hour. Changing the speed, the width of cut, and of course, the number of obstacles will alter that some, but that gives you a starting point.

freshcut
04-17-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Any suggestions for the maintenance costs. I'm trying to figure out what it would cost to maintain the Huster Z each season or year. Thanks for you help.

P&J Lawncare
04-17-2002, 10:06 PM
I bet you that with my super z I can cut that 5 acres in less than a hour

freshcut
04-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Come on over and show me!

P&J Lawncare
04-19-2002, 09:28 PM
I am super busy right now but any time you feel like traveling you are free to come to oregon and try my z. I have a 60 acre account that you can demo my mower on.

Doc Pete
04-19-2002, 11:08 PM
I gotta ask, how long does it take, and how much do you get for the 60 acres??????? I'm guess at least $40 an acre.........
Pete

P&J Lawncare
04-22-2002, 10:50 PM
we do it in one day (four zero turns) and you are close with your $40 an acre guess.

HLC
05-17-2002, 01:24 PM
I do 4.5 acres in 1.7 with a 25/60 regular Z:D

freshcut
06-20-2002, 10:00 AM
Well I bought the Huster Super Z 72 inch cut and mowed the 5 acres in 1.5 hours. I was very impressed. I was expecting 2 - 2.5 hours. The land I have is very rough in the back 2 acres. If the land was not rough I bet I could cut the whole thing in an hour. Thanks for all the replies.

mowerconsultant
06-20-2002, 07:44 PM
COOL !!!!:blob4: :D :D :blob3:

I am glad you bought a Hustler, you will be very happy for a very long time !!!!
What dealer did you buy it from ???

Later
Pj

Doc Pete
06-20-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by freshcut
Well I bought the Huster Super Z 72 inch cut and mowed the 5 acres in 1.5 hours. I was very impressed. I was expecting 2 - 2.5 hours. The land I have is very rough in the back 2 acres. If the land was not rough I bet I could cut the whole thing in an hour. Thanks for all the replies.

Glad you like the Hustler. Sorry about my estimate. I really figured you'd be buying a 48 or 52 inch cut. Funny, in NJ even most commerical cutting don't have a machine as large as 72 inches, let alone a homeowner. Also, in NJ, you'd be hard pressed to find a homeowner spending that kind of money for a lawnmower, and you'd never find them mowing 5 acres.:p

I've got over 500 hours on my new WB's and haven't even had to go for new blades yet. So far the only thing they've needed is gas and oil.
Pete

freshcut
06-21-2002, 07:10 AM
I bought it from Jimmy Jammz in Camden. The owner Jim Combs was very good to me. I had very little knowledge of mowers and he spent numerous time with me to ensure I was satisfied. I would recommend Jimmy Jammz to anyone buying a mower. They are a great company.