PDA

View Full Version : Loosing the battle

bavaria-n
07-16-2009, 06:29 AM
I am using Weed B Gun to clean my lawn off weeds, it worked fine on other weeds except the Violets, even double dose do not bather them.
Is there something that kills the Violets?

LushGreenLawn
07-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Wild Violets can be a tough weed to kill. I would reccomend hiring a professional, I'm not sure your going to find something to do it at Lowes or Home Depot.

RigglePLC
07-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Use a product that contains quinclorac. Repeat as needed. Add soap to your solution to reduce runoff.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Wild Violets can be a tough weed to kill. I would reccomend hiring a professional, I'm not sure your going to find something to do it at Lowes or Home Depot.

Agreed. Those turkeys are tough.

Think Green
07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Bavaria,
Wild African Violets are pretty tricky to control, yet it can be done!
I am treating warm-season turfgrasses so the list I have to use is quite insufficient for your cooler climate turf. Here are some products to look up and do some research on. The State of N.Y. and its counties will have opposing restrictions on what you may purchase and use.

Manor or Blade (Metsulfuron)
Confront or Turflon
Triclopyr
Corsair

You will need to do some extensive reading of these chemical labels as to the use on your specific turfgrass species. The use of these chemicals may harm your turfgrass.
Usually violets require multiple applications of most chemicals to control effectively.
Weed-B-Gone is a good product for the small and actively growing tender broadleaf weeds like henbit, chickweed,etc. But these hard waxy coated flowering violets are harder to control..
Maybe someone in your location can lead you in the right direction on purchase, but maybe hiring someone with the experience will provide more control. I cannot tell you how to control these weeds in your state, all I can do is give you some different chemicals that we are suggested down south. You can do the research for your turfgrass selections, and then choose what is best..

Good Luck!

bavaria-n
07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Use a product that contains quinclorac. Repeat as needed. Add soap to your solution to reduce runoff.
Is this good one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DRIVE-75DF-Small-Size-4gallon-Quinclorac-BASF-1-5oz_W0QQitemZ270379458116QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef3df1e44&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

RigglePLC
07-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Above quinclorac is fine , but some Ortho and Bayer weed and crabgrass control liquids now have quinclorac. Check it out at a larger garden store. Find one that has real clerks, not just 18 yr olds min wage, min training people.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?bodyCssClass=scotts+blade+product+general+en&tabs=general&navAction=push&bodyId=product_general&proId=prod70146&itemId=cat50064&id=rootCategoryId

bavaria-n
07-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you guys

cinquefoil
07-24-2009, 12:07 AM
A bit of info on violets and other common weeds.
http://ag.udel.edu/extension/horticulture/pdf/hyg/hyg-45.pdf

Whitey4
07-24-2009, 04:20 AM
BASF's application for Drive was denied by the NYS DEC back on 08/01. In other words, quinclorac is prohibited here. Just be careful, use it carefully, and don't get caught!

I own a NYS DEC registered pesticide company, and would not break these laws... far too much at stake. As a home owner, you have to make that choice.... in the meantime, I still search for an approved herbicide that will work on wild violets.

bx24
07-24-2009, 02:45 PM
I was reg years ago and left the field..

My moto is IF you can buy it online, local Lesco/JDL etc (as a homeowner) spray what you want..

Hell I still love confront and use it.

Whitey4
07-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I was reg years ago and left the field..

My moto is IF you can buy it online, local Lesco/JDL etc (as a homeowner) spray what you want..

Hell I still love confront and use it.

If I were not reg'd, frankly, I'd do the same thing. The laws here are assinine.

suzook
08-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Above quinclorac is fine , but some Ortho and Bayer weed and crabgrass control liquids now have quinclorac. Check it out at a larger garden store. Find one that has real clerks, not just 18 yr olds min wage, min training people.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?bodyCssClass=scotts+blade+product+general+en&tabs=general&navAction=push&bodyId=product_general&proId=prod70146&itemId=cat50064&id=rootCategoryId

The quinclorac in those products are extremely low. You could buy the ortho weedbgone w crabgrass control and make repeated applications. I am not sure it work well though. If you decide to buy the drive(which is quinclorac) make sure you mix it properly and add MSO. Go easy with it, it is illegal if you are on LI, but i know plenty of homeowners who use it sparingly

bavaria-n
08-13-2009, 08:00 PM
The quinclorac in those products are extremely low. You could buy the ortho weedbgone w crabgrass control and make repeated applications. I am not sure it work well though. If you decide to buy the drive(which is quinclorac) make sure you mix it properly and add MSO. Go easy with it, it is illegal if you are on LI, but i know plenty of homeowners who use it sparingly

What is MSO?

bx24
08-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Meth seed oil

bavaria-n
08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I don’t get it…
Meth seed oil is some oil. If I add it to the formula it will float on the top ,even if I mix it ,oil will come back to the top and pump will spray solution without oil .So why add it?

bx24
08-14-2009, 07:05 PM
In short, it will make the product stick more..Like a sticker...

MSO used with Drive 75 workers "better" then with a sticker...

But I still love Confront and need to by 2 more gallons...:)

RigglePLC
08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Crop oils like MSO, methylated seed oil, are already combined with a detergent to keep the whole mess in solution or at least suspended. They help chemicals to penetrate the weed in question.
If you can't find MSO, use crop oil, a spreader-sticker, surfactant or some detergent.

Use the maximum rate allowed on the weed killer label--repeat every week until it is gone.

Violets have long underground runners. The important parts of the plant are underground. Dig em out if you have to.