PDA

View Full Version : Tired of flat tires no more perks on patching

nosparkplugs
07-16-2009, 06:16 PM
This season has turned out to be one of the worst for me with nails in my tires. Don't know whats casuing so many road hazzards around here, but it seems like I am averaging at least 1 nail or screw a tire per month per trailer x 3 trailers. I have caught two nails in my new General Grabbers AT2 in three months:cry:

Also their is no more "free" tire patching around here, one guy says he got blamed for a "bad" patch job, and caused a blow-out/accident, and another guy I use for tires say's the economy has forced him to charge for tire patching even for loyal customers.

So I am now purchasing road hazzard on all my new tire's, those little "perks" for doing business with folks is going to be a thing of the past soon

4.3mudder
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
That sucks, to make you feel better, I have had 3 nails in the past month and a half, all in the same tire. 2 of them at the same time a few inches from each other. The last one was a couple days ago. Free patch jobs?? LOL, not around here. 12 bucks for my last patch, actually its the new ones that is a patch and plug made into one, looks like an umbrella.

nosparkplugs
07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
$12 bucks is a bargin:waving: I just paid $17.50 today for a patch job, and that was bringing the tire to them. Don't ask to have the tire removed it will be over $20.00 bucks

That sucks, to make you feel better, I have had 3 nails in the past month and a half, all in the same tire. 2 of them at the same time a few inches from each other. The last one was a couple days ago. Free patch jobs?? LOL, not around here. 12 bucks for my last patch, actually its the new ones that is a patch and plug made into one, looks like an umbrella.

GravelyGuy
07-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Why don't you patch your own? The little $7 kits work fine. Three patches per kit and I think the refills are like $3.

Gravel Rat
07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
So who have you pizzed off :laugh:

Tire plugs are okay but they are not the best. You need the inside plug/patch. The one that has a glue in flange with a plug attached to it. It seals the hole and the flange patch seals the tire from leaking.

It isn't good to keep removing and installing a tire you eventually wear the bead out or stretch the tire bead.

esnipe8
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Removal and patch is 13 here. I think thats a fair price.

whosedog
07-16-2009, 09:47 PM
We use the $7.00 plug kit, never had a problem with them yet.STS wanted 25 to plug a tire, screw that.We use them on cars trucks & quads but they wouldn't hold on the lawn tractors I don't know why,have to pay dealer $25 to put innertube in.PITA

razor1
07-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Gotta agree with these guys, get the heavy duty "T" handle plugger kit and you'll be fine. I've plugged dozens of tires including tractors tires and it works like a charm. (get one at Harbor Freight or Walmart)

Milwaukee
07-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Or try add front Magnet like this. I would add but never have nail in tires just 1 time in 2 years.

http://www.homeproductsnmore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/T-48-1.jpg

STIHL GUY
07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
well i got a flat driving my brothers car over the winter like a month after i had changed out a flat. We just spent $680 on new truck tires cause the old ones were bald

supercuts
07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
wow, plugging a tire is as simple as sharping blades.....then again a good deal of guys on here dont even do that. go to Walmart, they are cheap and are easy. if you dont know how to use one, PM me.

nosparkplugs
07-17-2009, 10:18 PM
I have tried the good old "T-handle" style Reamer & Plugger's have acquired several kits over the years . They work fine for the ZTR's, but it is all but impossible to get the T-handle reamer & plugger's through a steel belted tire, and then have it hold air. Maybe I just don't have the patients, all I known is I have wasted time & money trying to patch my own trailer tire's in the past. I would never patch a truck or car tire anyway. The best way is to patch from the inside of the tire anyways.

DLCS
07-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I have tried the good old "T-handle" style Reamer & Plugger's have acquired several kits over the years . They work fine for the ZTR's, but it is all but impossible to get the T-handle reamer & plugger's through a steel belted tire, and then have it hold air. Maybe I just don't have the patients, all I known is I have wasted time & money trying to patch my own trailer tire's in the past. I would never patch a truck or car tire anyway. The best way is to patch from the inside of the tire anyways.

Same here, if it goes on the highway it gets patched from the inside.

Jason Rose
07-18-2009, 12:03 AM

I plug my trailer tires all the time, radials, and can get them through and to hold air ok. One out of 5 may leak some after a few months though. Dependable for the long haul, no, but cheap! Trailer tires get burned off in a year, or less, anyway. Makes no sence to spend $10 for every nail or screw I pick up with them.

I must admit though, getting that reamer and plugger into the tire can sometimes be a helluva chore. I've done a few that I didn't think I was going to make happen. I was sweating like a whor3 in church but finally won the battle. **always remember to use rubber cement as "lube" for both the reamer and the plug.

Truck tires always go to the tire shop, unless they are already almost bald.