PDA

View Full Version : question for you chemical guys

SunState Lawn Care inc
07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
We had a new customer tell us she sprays vinager around her house and areas she wants the weeds killed. I saw it was dead but was wondering what it does to the ground and how long do they stay dead? Can you plant in the area after you spray the vinager or does it make the ground not grow anything for a while? I would think it would get expensive using vinager instead of other over the counter weed killers maybe not.

Thanks!

txgrassguy
07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Vinegar is an acidifying agent - it simply changes the pH of the soil. Think alkali deserts.
Also has some systemic properties which also effects cellular structure in the leaf tissue - akin to diquat.
Residual tendencies in sand based soil is short lived due to the leaching abilities of the sand and impact upon the CEC due to the calcarious nature of Fl's soil.
Cost is actually much cheaper with vinegar, particularly since one gallon costs maybe $1.50 and if you mix 6 ounces per gallon in a hand sprayer = low cost per app.
To diminish the accumulated effects of the vinegar simply flood the area with water after you have tilled the sprayed area. Let it sit for a couple of days and you should be fine.

SunState Lawn Care inc
07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info. One more question if you sprayed vinager around a flower bed on the weeds or say in a bed with shrubs in it would it hurt them or just the weeds you spray it on?

Thanks

txgrassguy
07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
The vinegar will effect essentially any dicot plant it comes into contact with - especially ornamentals. So watch the drift and particularly watch how much is applied directly to the weeds so you avoid runoff/non-target effect.

lawncuttinfoo
07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
The vinegar will effect essentially any dicot plant it comes into contact with - especially ornamentals. So watch the drift and particularly watch how much is applied directly to the weeds so you avoid runoff/non-target effect.

Vinegar is not selective, it will kill monocots just as fast as dicots.

nik
07-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Vinegar is an acidifying agent - it simply changes the pH of the soil.

Be careful about what vinegar you are buying. There are several "horticultural vinegar" products tat are at 20% or higher, which makes them acetic acid and not vinegar. At those concentrations you can cause permanent eye damage to yourself. Those products tend not to registered and may bit have much in the way of PPE suggestions on the label.

Not to say the stuff doesn't work. Just be real careful with it.

SunState Lawn Care inc
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't use it just had a customer use it and tell me about it.

RigglePLC
07-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Still use your safety glasses gloves and boots. That is the law in michigan.
However--I just watched a woman lawn care employee carefully put on her rubber gloves to spray some Roundup. But she was wearing shorts and sneakers. Ignored the possibility that the chemical would be absorbed into her footware and contaminate her feet for months. Same street watched a Trugreen operator--not close enough to see claearly--but no sign of boots.