PDA

View Full Version : electric sprayer build

fastcat
07-16-2009, 11:02 PM
i have a few 30 and 50 gallon plastic drums that came from a carwash. i was thinking about making a couple electric spray rigs out of them. i would probably just use them for selective herbicides. is there anything wrong with useing those drums for this reason. i have one of the 30 gallon drums that i fill with h20 now that i have put a hose bib in the bottom to fill my back packs with.

Grandview
07-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Sounds like a lot of work but can be done.

Terraformer
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
i have a few 30 and 50 gallon plastic drums that came from a carwash. i was thinking about making a couple electric spray rigs out of them. i would probably just use them for selective herbicides. is there anything wrong with useing those drums for this reason. i have one of the 30 gallon drums that i fill with h20 now that i have put a hose bib in the bottom to fill my back packs with.

The short answer to your question is yes. However, you need to determine if the drum is thick enough (meaning - stable) to support the required bulkhead fittings you will install, and whether or not you need manway access to add product and fill the tank. Adding a 5" manway would be doable only on the end of the drum. If you plan on laying the drum on its side you need to fab a cradle to support it and the internal load (250+ lbs). A large bulkhead fitting could then be used to add water and liquid AI. If you go this route, mount electric pump and manifold separate from drum. This way you can easily switch out drums depending on AI use (less cleaning).

Hope this helps.

RigglePLC
07-17-2009, 10:18 PM
The tank is the cheapest part. Scroll up 2 inches and click Gregson Clark--a sponsor and excellent sprayers. The Spreader-mate is electric. And so is the nurse tank and pump. And they have tanks in several sizes. If they don't have what you want Fimco will have it, and cheaper than you could build it yourself.

fastcat
07-17-2009, 11:32 PM
its not going to be that involved. all i need is a pump, looking a the delavan 5.3 gpm $120 and the gun i am looking at is $60 i will probably go with the cheaper rubber hose for now since i will be running low pressure for herbicides in a 3/8 id or should i go with 1/4 id. so its a pretty simple project not trying to build a $1000 electric rig just something that will do the job for a little bit.

right now i have a 10 gal spot sprayer that i use for gly only, and i have a 25 gal fimco spot sprayer with pressure regulator that i have not made up my mind on what to use it for yet. i could use it for insecticides or selective herbicides. what ever i use it for the sprayer i am building will be used for the other. i am almost thinking that i should use the 25 gal fimco sprayer for the insecticide but i have a boom to add on to the sprayer that would be great for broad leaf apps. if i decide to use the sprayer i am going to build for insecticide should i use 3/8 id hose or 1/4 id hose. i seen that the hose on the recent z spray used 100' of 1/4 id hose for insecticide and i would think that the 5.3 gpm pump would be fine for 300' for 1/4 id hose. thoughts??????????????/

RigglePLC
07-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Quarter inch hose is too small. Skinny hose doesn't deliver enough volume. And the pressure drop due to friction losss in small diameter hose would kill your pressure--you might lose 30 percent for each hundred feet. If you intend to spray trees--you need a lot of volume and a lot of pressure. Talk to the people at Gregson Clark--they will give you the full details. And explain what you need.
How are you going to fill the barrel? Agitation? How to clean it out?

fastcat
07-19-2009, 08:17 PM
so should i use the 25 gal fimco sprayer as my insecticide sprayer and the sprayer i am going to build for selective herbicides. this is what i am leaning towards because i have to spray for bagworms and white flies at one of my customers propertys and the 25 gal fimco sprayer has a 2.2gpm 60psi pump on it and i would just need to buy this gun http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200312201_200312201. if i wanted to endup using it as my selective herb sprayer later it would be fine but i wouldnt want to use a herb sprayer to spray insecticide on bushes and ornamentals.

fastcat
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
also would the mag 1 gun from lesco work on a 12 volt pump pushing 2gpm 60psi max.