PDA

View Full Version : dirt driveway

flakebortch
07-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Please donít jump me for being an amateur, but my very best lawn care/ mulch/ whimsical landscape customer now needs her driveway fixed because she just bought a new BMW, and the potholes drive her nuts. Iíve got a 5 X 8 heavy duty landscape trailer. She has a quarter mile long dirt driveway with some potholes and washouts. Sheíd like a price on fixing her driveway, but when I talked to her she didnít know exactly what she meant by ďfixedĒ. So now, Iím the professional, and I should be able to help her understand what she needs. I make roughly 25% of my revenue from this lady and stand to make some more gravy, but this isnít something Iíve worked with other than what a foreman ordered me to do.
She has a dirt driveway, and Iíve found more Ĺ inch stone than anything else that youíd find in a stockyard but not an overwhelming amount. The driveway canít be more than 3-5 years old. Should I fill in the potholes with shale or Ĺ stone? Again, this is not my area of expertise, so I donít know what sort of stone went into the driveway, but it seems like a shaley, gravely sort of grey mix. What should I suggest?

tthomass
07-17-2009, 02:01 AM
How big are the holes? My driveway is the same and I would fill it with 21A/CR6 and they just come back. I then put #3's in the holes and 21A/CR6 over top (helps lock it in) and no more problems. I drive up to 28,000 lbs over it........I'm sure her BMW will be okay.

I would suggest filling the holes with the bigger stone and then having her whole driveway top dressed with 21A/CR6.

philboudreault
07-17-2009, 07:15 PM
how much would u charge for what tthomass suggested?