PDA

View Full Version : Sprayer Log

Grandview
07-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Does anybody use any kind of log system to keep track of what is in your sprayers. If I use Roundup I flush my tank and system right away so I do not forget. My biggest issue is did I put 3-Way herbicide in the tanks or not. If I have not used a machine for a couple days I may not have a clue what is in the tank.

Rtom45
07-17-2009, 08:42 AM
In PA. you are required to keep track of all chemical applications. Your records are to be available for inspection by PDA at their request. It should be a very simple matter to add a section which indicates which sprayer was used.

garydale
07-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I would recommend you have sprayer dedicated to Round-up.

morturf
07-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Go to office supply store get some paper wire tags like they use at small engine service places. When you put something in the tank wire the tag to the tank/handle/whatever with the product and the date so you know how long you have had it in there. works for me

JFF
07-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Luggage tags with business card inserts. Write what is in your mix, attach it to the tank.

turf hokie
07-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Get those UPS shipping label holders. The ones that stick on the package with the packing slip. This way they are water proof. DEC here requires a label of what is in the tank/machine to be attached to the unit itself. Even though a label is required in the cab of the truck.

Runner
07-17-2009, 08:31 PM
I just use sticker labels on my backpacks. I put the chem and date. Use a Sharpee permanent marker, though. My PG, I don't label, because I pretty much remember what I have in there, and if it is spiked. Now, i HAVE emptied my PG into the empty jugs and labeled them with what is in it, along with the term PG Mix.

RigglePLC
07-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I am with Runner. I use little sticky labels normally used for prices at garage sales. Also, sometimes I use self stick address labels. I print them on the computer with a space to put the chemical, concentration and the date it was mixed. Use a separate "no weed killer" sprayer as needed.

LB1234
07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I have a backpack just for roundup labeled non-selective, another backpack labeled selective that I use strictly for weed applications in lawns (3 way or acclaim), another pump sprayer for ornamental applications of fungicides/insectides. Each sprayer is labeled and that is all that goes in there. The last thing I need to do is forget I put roundup in there, didn't rinse it good enough and spray someones lawn...

If anythings gets leftover I put it in a 5 gallon pale with a lid and lamenate a label for it..then it gets duct taped on.

for my nurse tank and boom sprayer tank I know whats in there since I'm the only one spraying and we use the mandatory log system that the NJDEP PCP (or whatever its called) says we need to use. If I do not remember I can go right back to the log book.

Lbilawncare
07-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Paint pens (written on lid and "against back" side of sprayers. I recommend having separate sprayers for everything. I have dedicated backpacks for Round-Up, Weed Control, Sedgehammer, Drive75, Pramitol, Mosquito's, etc..

JDUtah
07-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I recommend having separate sprayers for everything. I have dedicated backpacks for Round-Up, Weed Control, Sedgehammer, Drive75, Pramitol, Mosquito's, etc..

yup, I agree.

1 tank for non-selective, 1 for selective broadleaf and some grasses, 1 for selective grasses (hard to kill) and sedge, one for fungal control, and one for insect control.

As far as the log, I change some of the mixes by month, so I just need to know what month I am in and I know what mix I am running. My program not only explains the mix by month, but also mixing instructions, and minimal PPE, etc. That way there is no error for my guys (once I can hire them again, I launched a new company this year)

LawnoftheMonth
07-19-2009, 11:08 PM
i have 5 seperate back packs for the 5 products that i apply, labeled accordingly, i like the luggage tag/business card idea, im going to do that. :waving:

LawnTamer
07-19-2009, 11:29 PM
I have dedicated sprayers, and they are different colors. I have a dedicated Round Up sprayer, 2 lawn herbicide sprayers and a shrub/tree sprayer which has never had a herbicide in it. I've kept them the same colors for 15 yrs now too.

Lawn herbicide sprayers are red
shrub and tree sprayer is green
Round Up sprayer is blue

May seem silly, but that was how we did it at the company I worked for.
If I ever use anything like glyphosate in my big skid sprayer, I flush it as soon as I am done.