PDA

View Full Version : Broadleaf weeds growing in azaleas

cmrgrounds
07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
I have two accounts that i recently picked up in a nice gated community. Both yards have really bad weeds growing through the alzaleas and hollys and just about every bush has a weed growing through it. Iv spent hours on each property trying to pull out all the weeds so i can put out some pre m. Problem is that before i can get all the weeds out more keep growing. My guy at ewing told me i could use image. What else is there that will work on azaleas that i can spray over the top for broadleaf weeds.

RigglePLC
07-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Cover the good plants with plastic--spray Roundup--pull the plastic off. Apply a pre-em. Return in a week and hand weed whatever weeds remain.

cmrgrounds
07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
That won't work. There beds of solid azaleas with weeds growing through the azaleas. It would probrably take two days or so to pull them all out. I need something i can spray over the top for broadleaf. Has anyone used a pre m called prodiamine 65 WDG? Thats what i was told to use once the weeds were gone.

RigglePLC
07-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Well there are grass killer products that can be sprayed over the top. Fluzifop or Grass B Gone or something like that.

Maybe there is a time of year when the azalea's are dormant--can you spray then? Does anybody have experience with this in a warm climate situation?

greendoctor
07-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Azaleas are never dormant in warm climate zones. They are not like blue rug juniper, which will tolerate chemicals such as Goal, RoundUp or Image. For broadleaves growing through and above azaleas, I have painted on RoundUp diluted to 30%, taking care not to drip or otherwise contact the azalea foliage. Lontrel is another possibility if the broadleaves are susceptible to it. The grassy weeds are best controlled with Fusilade or sethoxydim. Situations like this are why I will routinely apply a broad spectrum preemergent tank mix as a directed spray under shrubs. Even if it takes longer than waving a Chemlawn gun over the bed. Nothing is more frustrating and time consuming than seeing weeds pop up through plants, then having to hand pull every last weed. Prodiamine is a good grass preemergent, I like to have Gallery or Ronstar in there as well to control broadleaf weeds.

envirolawn&pest
07-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Fusilade is a great product that works great in situations like that. It has killed every broadleaf weed and some grassy weeds that I have sprayed without damage to the shrubs. Just make sure that you dont spray it on any tender plants/ annuals & also READ THE LABEL before you apply.

lilmarvin4064
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
great advice from Greendoctor (can I come work for you!?)

Fusilade is not supposed to kill broadleafs.

cmrgrounds
07-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Well i spent hours ripping out all the weeds and i applied snapshot. Im to scared to use ronstar, ive heard to many horror stories with that stuff getting on the leaves of bushes and killing them. Guess we will see how well this stuff works. What i thought was strange was when i bought it from lesco, they guy asked why i was using it and i told him i was going to pre m some beds. I asked him why he asked and he told me that no one really uses it that it is one of the best but people go with cheaper stuff. What else could people be using.

greendoctor
07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
The people that apply to beds all the time do not do granules. For the reason you stated above. If something sticks to the leaves, that is bad. I am not afraid of Ronstar, in fact, the contact activity of the product gets utilized in my programs. A directed, high volume, full coverage spray is applied under shrubs and perennials. Not only does it form a barrier against broadleaf germination, it will also burn off most weeds at the 4 leaf stage. Note that this only happens if you are spraying the Ronstar through a wand with a fan nozzle, directed under desirable plants. Granules are different. I would be the last person to spread granules over a bed. Too much potential for injury and no effect on emerged weeds.

cmrgrounds
07-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Will snapshot kill the azaleas if some of it gets on the leafs? I was told that i didnt have to worry about that with this product.

greendoctor
07-25-2009, 03:07 AM
The Trifluralin will affect the growing shoots of the azaleas. Won't kill them, but azaleas are very sensitive to everything. This is why I do not like granules. It is a B#$%^ trying to evenly broadcast a product under a plant. A 24-36" wand with a bend at the end is much easier to direct under shrubs. I can apply Ronstar Flo under an azalea without burning off all of its leaves. Have seen what happens when Ronstar G gets stuck at the crowns or growing points of an ornamental.

cmrgrounds
07-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I got ya. I appreciate the help.