PDA

View Full Version : Trailers?

dadertgf
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi new to the buisness wondering what u guys recomend for trailers open ? inclosed? what lengths? and Brands? any info would be great

Thanks
Zach

:cool2:

93Chevy
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Enclosed is really the best way to go.

Advantages of enclosed:
1. Mobile shop. Every tool you might can have a home.
2. Dry. If it's raining, drive into the trailer till the rain passes.
3. Theft. If the trailer is closed, less chance of somebody grabbing a blower on the go.
4. Mobile office. Have a little workbench/desk if you have room for paperwork or for eating lunch.
5. DOT can't see inside :laugh:
6. Easier to customize. You can make into whatever you want to.

And my role of thumb is to buy the biggest you can afford, no matter open or enclosed. I just bought a 16' open trailer for $500 for a 48" WB and that's it. Yeah, it's too big for one mower, but it's better than squeezing a 48" on a 5x8.

dadertgf
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks. Do u have a inclosed or thats just what you would get if u had the money?

93Chevy
07-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I do not have an enclosed.

If I had the money to justify an enclosed, I would buy a 20 foot enclosed.

Bob_n_weave
07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I recommend a open 7x12. I strongly considered an enclosed Trailor but glad I didn't buy.

SangerLawn
07-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Most of the time a 6x12 trailer can go under the radar of DOT officers. You can even cut the front of it out and load to ztr 60 inch mowers on it and stay legal. That is how I have by 6x12 set up. My other trailer is a 6x16.

I agree an enclosed trailer is best. It insures that you won’t have any equipment stolen however I will not run out of one. I am kind of tall and don’t like hitting my head lol

golfnpreacher
07-18-2009, 07:55 AM
States cannot impose restrictions on any trailer less that 102" wide and less than 26 feet long (except for weight restrictions) They can require them to be registered under certain categories. (DOT CFR 49 - 658)

Generally speaking, unless some restriction is imposed by Federal Regulations, states do not impose them, it creates a nightmare of enforcement with interstate commerce. (Please note the difference between INTER state and INTRA state. If someone is involved in business in a particular state, that in INTRAstate and that state can regulate business done within it's borders. However, if someone is "passing through" one state but not doing business there, that is INTERSTATE)

topsites
07-18-2009, 10:01 AM
I recommend a open 7x12. I strongly considered an enclosed Trailor but glad I didn't buy.

Yeh you can't haul no brush with it.

Mine's a Carson landscape 6x12 single axle.

hackitdown
07-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I think it is quicker and easier to work out of an open trailer. But no security. Way cheaper than enclosed.

dadertgf
07-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I would regester this trailer so im not conserned about DOT. And for brush and stuff i can use a dumptrailer. Also bob and weave why r u glad u did not go with inclosed ? ... sanger cut the front off ? ? .. thanks for all info Zach

YardBoss Lawncare
07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I like the landscape trailers. It's what I use. 4' expanded metal sides, lockable trimmer racks mounted on the curb side of the trailer so you can park legal and access them without getting ran over by a 20 yr old girl who's texting. Gas can holders mounted on the driver's side so you can be next to the pump when filling them without having to pick them up. Lockable 2'x2' tool cage at the front for holding hedge trimmers, oil, a chain saw, a small tool box with all the wrenches and sockets that fit your mower, a come along for when the mower goes down and you have to winch it onto the trailer, etc. You can buy backpack blower hangars that are lockable and bolt them onto the expanded metal sides. You can bungee cord anything you need really easy too. The 4' sides are nice when you trim trees or haul off debri. Just unload the mower at home and toss the limbs in. They also make it a little harder for people to jack with your stuff when your in a Lowes parking lot or somewhere eating lunch.

Bob_n_weave
07-19-2009, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=topsites;3098651]Yeh you can't haul no brush with it.

Yes I can and do. I also have the 4' metal sides like LDH has, read his post.

Mulch,Tree Limbs no problem.

Without the enclosed sides yeah you got a problem, so spend a little bit
extra.