PDA

View Full Version : Tulips

Smallaxe
07-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Anyone have any special advice about planting tulips in the wooded roadside ditchline? Haven't done tulips - ever!!!
This is shade and lots of roots will inorganic sandy soil.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Smallaxe
07-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I'll try a gardening forum...

Az Gardener
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Roadside is a bad place for tulips they are very fragile, even a windy day will destroy them. The wind blows the petals apart. At least that has been my experience here in Az. They are expensive so you need a lot to make an impression. They are also best viewed up close unless you are just buying the solid colors. They have to get some sun too at least 4-5 hours I would imagine.

As far as planting goes you want to plant them in the fall and you would be wise to add some compost and bone meal. Dig a hole twice as big as the bulb and mix your compost and bone meal together for the back fill medium. I would also consider topdressing the whole area with compost once complete. Light topdressing!! you don't want to add 2"-3" of additional material for the bulbs to have to push through.

Smallaxe
07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks, AZ.
I don't think they will get any more than 15 minutes of direct sunlight at a time as the sun passes between trees.
I was afraid I would hear what I did, in that, nothing about the proposed planting is the least bit favorable. Appreciate it.