PDA

View Full Version : Dandies in July??

Heidi J.
07-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Our weather in Michigan has been weird this year (along with everyone else), but I seen a yard yesterday filled with dandelions. A rare site here in July.. has anyone else noticed this:confused: I imagine it is the cold weather. But I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad..

Whitey4
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Our weather in Michigan has been weird this year (along with everyone else), but I seen a yard yesterday filled with dandelions. A rare site here in July.. has anyone else noticed this:confused: I imagine it is the cold weather. But I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad..

I have good friend who has been an LCO for over 20 years. Unlicensed, not legal for pesticides, no insurance... and it shows. He was complaining about how stupid Scotts was for adevertising dandy controls after they were mostly finished flowering, and declared that dandy control season was over.

The plants continue to grow, and they should be treated after (and before and during first bloom) but like day lillies, they can have a second bloom if conditions are right. Sounds like you are seeing a second bloom. That tells me your first weed control app did not take them out if you are talking about a lawn you treated, but it sounds like a lawn you do not maintain. The root was still alive, and came back for a second bloom.

Runner
07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Oh, new ones pop up all the time in weaker lawns. We see them all the time (not in our lawns). we haven't really even HAD a summer, yet. Just like right now...I step outside and it feels like September. It is strange seeing them flowering throughout the whole summer, as we have, but I guess one good thing about it...they are easily treatable.

Heidi J.
07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh, new ones pop up all the time in weaker lawns. We see them all the time (not in our lawns). we haven't really even HAD a summer, yet. Just like right now...I step outside and it feels like September. It is strange seeing them flowering throughout the whole summer, as we have, but I guess one good thing about it...they are easily treatable.

Oh.. sure. I see them all the times, just not flowered.. in July!! I even seen them seeding!! I love you tag line Joe.. My dad is my best buddy!

Whitey.. don't be silly. These were not my yards:laugh: I was just doing a drive by!

:waving:

Whitey4
07-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh.. sure. I see them all the times, just not flowered.. in July!! I even seen them seeding!! I love you tag line Joe.. My dad is my best buddy!

Whitey.. don't be silly. These were not my yards:laugh: I was just doing a drive by!

:waving:

I surmised as such... and said so! :)

tlg
07-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Don't look at the calender look at the weather. Things are really out of whack this season if you go by the calender. This has not been our typical weather by any means. Weeds we normally see only in the spring are still hanging on. Crabgrass and spurge seem to be minimal so far this season. We have had temps in the 50's at night and those really warm days ( 90 + ) have not shown up. Weird, strange, abnormal . You bet. Watch for those dandelions this winter ( El Nino is comming ):laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Heidi J.
07-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Don't look at the calender look at the weather. Things are really out of whack this season if you go by the calender. This has not been our typical weather by any means. Weeds we normally see only in the spring are still hanging on. Crabgrass and spurge seem to be minimal so far this season. We have had temps in the 50's at night and those really warm days ( 90 + ) have not shown up. Weird, strange, abnormal . You bet. Watch for those dandelions this winter ( El Nino is comming ):laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Crazy isn't it! That would be nice.. Any one know what the farmers almanac says for this winter? So far it has been dead on with the cool summer:)

americanlawn
07-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Same here in Iowa. Plenty of frequent rains. Never a drought. Tons of baby dandies here, especially in thin areas & lawns that are trimmed or mowed too short.

We will do blanket sprays in early fall for sure, cuz more will emerge this summer & fall. Probably with the less expensive amine 3-way. Otherwise customers won't be too happy next spring. :laugh:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Cool and on the dry side up here in so. MN. I wouldn't even think about blanketing a lawn with amine 3-way now, just way too dry. Hope we get some rains heading into late summer early fall, then will blanket those lawns and clean up the dandies/spurge/etc.

HayBay
07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
This is probably a Michigan thing. Easily treating Dandelions.

If your in my neck of the woods dandelions are very hard to treat, being as we have a ban on 200 chemicals. Results for new customers is almost impossible.