PDA

View Full Version : G Daddy says search engines will not find my site?

Az Gardener
07-18-2009, 10:37 PM
I only signed up for two years and the rep calls me an says that is a personal or spammers type of web site. Because of this most search engines will not even recognize my site because I don't have a 5 or 10 year registration. Is that true?

JDUtah
07-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I only signed up for two years and the rep calls me an says that is a personal or spammers type of web site. Because of this most search engines will not even recognize my site because I don't have a 5 or 10 year registration. Is that true?

5 or ten years registration will give your site a better ranking, but google will not flag it as spam or the like if it is fo rless. They guy had the right idea but pitched it to you wrong, or maybe you misunderstood? Basically you getter a better score for an extended registration, but you don't get penalized for a shorter registration.

topsites
07-21-2009, 11:32 PM

That guy is FOS, don't fall for this stupid trick, and while it is possible that the engines
won't find your site, but the length of the registration won't make a difference at all.

Try...
Finding some small local directories to you, stay away if they want money, you're looking
for small link lists built by someone who cares about the community, and if you can find
a few of those you ask them if they would link to your site and then it goes from there.

Search for...
"Your location (like city / county) directory"
For instance if you lived in Orange county?
Orange county directory

Also searching for township directories tends to work real good, like "Bronx directory" for example.
Other searches might go like:
"Bronx business listing"
"Bronx lawn care directory"

etc, etc...

MiguelTX
07-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Yeah, length of registration doesn't matter BUT the age of you site DOES MATTER. A website that is 4 years old will have an overall better ranking than a website that is only 1 year old.

Go search for Google Webmaster Tools and follow their instructions. Make sure they have your site indexed otherwise your site will never show up on Google. Try getting links from high-ranking (PR3 and up) sites, especially .edu sites. CommentKahuna searches sites for you and lets you post comments on blogs with a link back to your own site. BUT, the link should NOT be a nofollow. Read their instructions and you should be on Google's 1st page within a month.

Danscapes
07-27-2009, 08:43 AM
If your going to get a site, don't be a tight a$$!! What is it like $70 for a 10 year registration? C'mon. Step up. And pay the money. Why have to renew every year or buy bandwidth every month? I have had good results with my site and I did it all myself.

MiguelTX
07-27-2009, 09:12 AM
If your going to get a site, don't be a tight a$$!! What is it like $70 for a 10 year registration? C'mon. Step up. And pay the money. Why have to renew every year or buy bandwidth every month? I have had good results with my site and I did it all myself.
Good advice if you're a full-time LCO but some people here are only looking to either supplement their income for school, bills, etc. You wouldn't pre-pay a 10 year insurance policy on a used car, would you? Why register a domain name for 10 years if you're only going to be in biz for a season or two?

Camo_Duck
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Please do not believe godaddy ever, they are all about selling you crap you do not need....and frankly they will mislead you given half the chance to manipulate you into buying useless services, I see it over and over again.

I usually advise my web clients to buy their domains at godaddy simply because they generally have the best deal.....and the back end is very use-able for a web guy like me to get their site up and running when it comes to DNS.

BUT I always tell them BUY NOTHING other than the actual domain name, and who cares how long you buy it for....frankly it makes no difference whatsoever in your search engine ranking.....if you get it for one year or 100.

Your content gets you ranking along with other factors, but the length of your domain registration is NOT one of them worth even thinking about.

The order format at godaddy is a fricking nightmare, its like going to a flea market....and other than the actual domain name you need absolutely NONE of the crap they are pitching....please dont fall for it and dont waste your money.

I also do not suggest folks get hosting with them, there are much better options.

-----
Bob Rooney

MiguelTX
08-11-2009, 06:50 PM
camo Duck is 100% correct and THANK YOU FOR POSTING THAT! NameCheap.com is opposite of what GoDaddy is... I refuse to renew my GoDaddy domain names for the reasons you stated.