PDA

View Full Version : Sickly Yellowing Grasses

ca_trail73
07-19-2009, 12:18 AM
We have some type of grasses/plants that were vibrant green last year...recently they started looking very sickly. I fertilized them but no change....They are in numerous places and all look the same, very yellow, seem to be coming apart at the ground...I cant get my pics to upload on this system..... City water/no well....is this something anyone has ideas on without seeing pics...Thanks for your input!

envirolawn&pest
07-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Yeah how much water is the grass getting? Chlorosis is a very good indication of to much water. Is the soil wet or poor drainage? Check that first if it is cut back the watering and apply a granular iron(on the shrubs) or a granular fert that has micro nutrients in it.

Stillwater
07-19-2009, 05:39 AM
We need to know (best guess) what types of grasses and plants, check the center of the plant do you see ants? describe to the best of your ability the soil type. is the soil bone dry or moist.
When you say falling apart do you mean the center of the grass appears dead? and dried clumps can be broken off? or the center appears in decline but the outer areas are ok? if so the plant needs to be divided.

White Gardens
07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Take a soil sample to your local extension office to have it analyzed.

I'm willing to bet your municipal water system is running around an 8.0 for PH and throwing the PH off in your lawn.

Whitey4
07-19-2009, 05:19 PM
These ARE ornamental grasses, not lawn grass, right? What kind, how big, how old? It sounds like a fungal problem, but without pics, very hard to offer any advice.

White Gardens
07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
These ARE ornamental grasses, not lawn grass, right? What kind, how big, how old? It sounds like a fungal problem, but without pics, very hard to offer any advice.

Ya, I didn't pick up on that in the original post, good call whitey.

Stillwater
07-19-2009, 06:42 PM
yep whitey is a smart one

ca_trail73
07-20-2009, 11:03 PM
To be honest, I dont know what kind of grasses they are. I have pics, I think they would serve best...but cannot get the system to upload them. Progress bar gets half way across, then it fails....everytime....If I can get the pics to upload they would serve in the place of my ignorance of plants!!
Any suggestions? jpeg files....126KB each..wont upload

White Gardens
07-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Resize the photos. No more than 800 pixels across.