PDA

View Full Version : Edging large areas

dmk395
04-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Currently I'm in the middle of edging and mulching a large home. The last landscaper didnt edge, simply put mulch down on the existing beds, which of course allowed the sod to creep under the mulch. I am left with fixing this costly mess....probably about 900 feet of edging total....however its basically slow as hell using a stick edger then an edging shovel...any ideas on how to speed this process up? I was thinking of getting a walkbehind edger, but I would still have to rip up all the sod from under the mulch.

lawnstudent
04-16-2002, 10:17 PM
What kind of grass? Kentucky Bluegrass? If it is, cutting that sod up is not going to insure you get out the rhizomes. Grass will be back by year's end. Best to shoot that KB with Roundup and kill the whole plant.

jim

dmk395
04-17-2002, 10:22 PM
So don't bother pulling the grass out, just shoot it with roundup? I was going to go a step further and apply roundup after pulling everything up.

lawnstudent
04-18-2002, 09:31 AM
Roundup will be absorbed through grass leaves and transported by the plant to all parts only if the grass is actively growing. What will Roundup do if you pull first and then spray? It will sit on the soil and biodegrade in 14 days. Won't do much good.

jim

dmk395
04-18-2002, 10:55 PM
What would you do in my situation?