PDA

View Full Version : Fungicides anyone?

bx24
07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Okay I have been using EAGLE ® 20EW for years for lawn issues (brown spot etc) and was wondering is there anything better?

Example, I was looking into Armada (for less cost) per1K along with Banner Maxx..

Any comments on all three? Should I just keep using Eagle 20ew?

Thanks

RigglePLC
07-19-2009, 03:37 PM
The strobins, Heritage, Compass, and Insignia are excellent on red thread--but don't work much on dollarspot. Also if you do the same area repeatedly--you should rotate fungicides to avoid buildup of resitance. Use a different group or mode of action.

I think Eagle, Bayleton, and Banner are DMI group fungicides. Maybe you should rotate to Chipco or one of the others.

Whitey4
07-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Okay I have been using EAGLE ® 20EW for years for lawn issues (brown spot etc) and was wondering is there anything better?

Example, I was looking into Armada (for less cost) per1K along with Banner Maxx..

Any comments on all three? Should I just keep using Eagle 20ew?

Thanks

I wish I could use Armada... it's restricted, but I agree with Riggs, maybe two apps with one fungicide, then change up the AI. Fungus has been real bad here, an old timer told me worst since 1978.

Fungicides IMO are not real effective, much better used as a preventative, and next year, preventative fungicide apps will be part of my program... if the customer won't pay, I will drop them, period. They want nice lawns, and want to pay nothing. I've dropped two already over this. Typical.... they won't pay fot the app, but want to blame me for a brown lawn. No more....

Chilehead
07-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I wish I could use Armada... it's restricted, but I agree with Riggs, maybe two apps with one fungicide, then change up the AI. Fungus has been real bad here, an old timer told me worst since 1978.

Fungicides IMO are not real effective, much better used as a preventative, and next year, preventative fungicide apps will be part of my program... if the customer won't pay, I will drop them, period. They want nice lawns, and want to pay nothing. I've dropped two already over this. Typical.... they won't pay fot the app, but want to blame me for a brown lawn. No more....

Restricted!? Must be a New York thing. I use Armada 50 regularly and love the results that come with it.

dcgreenspro
07-19-2009, 06:06 PM
man, something major is going on in those properties if you need a prev. program for brown patch and dollar spot. Inter- seed some new varieties into the lawns this fall and be done with it.

bug-guy
07-19-2009, 07:52 PM
rotation is key! down here alot of fungicides have lost residential labels.
eagle and t-storm are good rotations for residential.
other turf you always have manicure(daconil) and many others

envirolawn&pest
07-19-2009, 11:16 PM
ratation is key just like insectisides you have to change the chemistry. Bug Guy are you getting or did you get control of brown patch with t-storm? we used it for two years when i was still working for MLPC and it didnt work very well. I went back to prostar last fall and it is still the best for brown patch, also tried armada and it didn"t have very good results. It did work great on viburnums with downey mildew.

rwnail
07-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Disarm, period. Solves everything!

greenskeeper79
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
dollar spot means you need a better fert program if you're mowing higher than 1/2"

tombo82685
07-20-2009, 07:00 PM
At the golf course i work at we use, tartan for brown patch control. For dollar spot we use emerald, chipco, and chlorathalonil.

greenskeeper79
07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
At the golf course i work at we use, tartan for brown patch control. For dollar spot we use emerald, chipco, and chlorathalonil.

correct but have you applied on your rough (over 1/2")? I believe a better fert program would clear up a lot of his issues.

In 13 yrs I have never applied fungicide to roughs for dieseases, which is the same if not lower height of cut of most residential lawns.

tombo82685
07-20-2009, 08:13 PM
correct but have you applied on your rough (over 1/2")? I believe a better fert program would clear up a lot of his issues.

In 13 yrs I have never applied fungicide to roughs for dieseases, which is the same if not lower height of cut of most residential lawns.

Honestly, I was just mentioning what we use for dollar spot control. To answer your question no we dont spray the rough. The only time i have sprayed the rough is when we had some gray leaf spot on the per rye

dcgreenspro
07-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Tombo I grew up in Drexel Hill..anywho what course are you at?
Chipco, Daconil etc, Are we treating L93???

tombo82685
07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Tombo I grew up in Drexel Hill..anywho what course are you at?
Chipco, Daconil etc, Are we treating L93???

I work at st davids golf club in wayne pa, its by cabrini college

Chilehead
07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
dollar spot means you need a better fert program if you're mowing higher than 1/2"

Maybe for you, but on southern grasses too much nitrogen contributes to dollar spot.

dcgreenspro
07-21-2009, 01:50 AM
I have never heard that before and I received my degree down south. Well, you learn something every day....St David's is a nice track Tombo

grassman177
07-21-2009, 08:32 AM
i have used compass and daconil and heritage and have had great luck with all of them, recently we had some chlorothalanil(sp) that was a part of spectro 90 that i used on brwon patch. i am sure it will work fine, but time will tell. anyone use spectro 90?? i started using it for shrub and tree apps since it is two products in one, contact and systemic!

lilmarvin4064
07-21-2009, 06:36 PM
as far as DMIs, Tourney is top of the line, then Triton or Trinity. Lesco Spectator is next best at a bargain price. Disarm is awesome too, but may need to be tank mixed on certain diseases. Prostar is great on Brown Patch, but expensive.

turfsolutions
07-24-2009, 10:54 PM
I was using Armada for the last few years with decent results. However I was getting sick of that nasty smell and I am sure my customers were not appreciating it either. This year I increased fertilization, and starting spraying a mixture of liquid Companion by Growth Products(natural fungicide) mixed with liquid N and Liquid Iron. Great results. Cleared up red thread, and prevented brown patch, summer patch, and dollar spot very well. Banner year for lawns and no synthetic fungicides.

greendoctor
07-25-2009, 02:11 AM
Funny you should mention liquid supplements. I use Essential Plus by Growth Products on my lawns along with K, N and iron. It has cut down on the number of applications I need to make for dollar spot and the number of lawns I need to put on Take All patch treatments. Granted, a week of excessive heat and humidity will put me on alert, but it is not like when I was dealing with lawns that were not fertilized regularly.

bug-guy
07-25-2009, 08:59 AM
alot of lawns here have been showing signs of take all. what is you rec. for st aug with take all

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Take All in warm season grasses is treated similarly to it in cool season grasses. However, the fungicide rotation should consist of Eagle EW, Heritage or Insignia and 3336. The other DMI(propiconazole, triadimefon, triticonazole, etc) should not be applied to a warm season grass. I have seen warm season grass decline worse after being treated by Bayleton. Banner already carried a warning about usage on low cut bermuda in Florida.

I also advise changes in the fertilizer program. A lawn under this kind of attack needs help. Higher K, iron, and manganese are what I apply. Preferably, this is done as a foliar applied frequently. Take All damages roots, so I am not seeing the sense of dropping 5 or so lb of granules on the soil where the grass might not take it up.

quiet
07-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I also advise changes in the fertilizer program. A lawn under this kind of attack needs help. Higher K, iron, and manganese are what I apply. Preferably, this is done as a foliar applied frequently. Take All damages roots, so I am not seeing the sense of dropping 5 or so lb of granules on the soil where the grass might not take it up.

Exactly. Fungicides aren't very effective for Take-All. They're just buying you some time while you're change your fert program. Do your early fert rounds with a fertilizer containing high K levels and Manganese. And avoid urea based N ferts at all costs, and switch to ammonium sulfate N sources. Gotta know your soils in your region.

greendoctor
07-26-2009, 06:41 PM
I have not had to put a lawn on a Take All curative program since changing my fertilizer program. I use very little urea, especially no coated slow release urea. Most of my N comes from 21-0-0, with a token amount of nitrate from potassium nitrate. Lawns are on monthly applications of a chelate/sulfate iron and manganese product that is tank mixed with the N and K fertilizer.

humble1
07-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I like prophecy or t storm, one of them has a pleasant brown sugar after dinner smell. Yup I know your not supossed to do lines of it, but it gets me thru the day.