PDA

View Full Version : What is this problem with my lawn

hoggie
07-19-2009, 04:55 PM
These spots have appeared on my lawn for the past three summers. It starts to appear during early July and starts to go away in the fall. It covers about a 16ft wide area and has some scattered spots in other parts of the lawn.

This is a northern lawn, located in Michigan.

Its has a underground water system and is on a 4 step Lesco fertilizer program.

The rest of the lawn looks great except for these areas. The spots kind of look like somebody threw a firecracker in the lawn. here are three pics.

growingdeeprootsorganicly
07-19-2009, 05:05 PM
animal of some kind digging, rabbit maybe?

LushGreenLawn
07-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Due to the timing, mabye squarrals storing nuts?

growingdeeprootsorganicly
07-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Due to the timing, mabye squarrals storing nuts?

three holes in a row like that, most likely

hoggie
07-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Its not squirrels. We have a professor from Michigan State's turfgrass management looking at it right now.

44DCNF
07-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Skunks leave a small, almost triangular hole when digging for grubs, with the soil thrown to one corner.

NattyLawn
07-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Skunks leave a small, almost triangular hole when digging for grubs, with the soil thrown to one corner.

I agree it could be skunks looking for food. Is this section of your lawn close to any wooded areas?

hoggie
07-19-2009, 06:21 PM
The damage it only 10 feet from the road, i don't think its skunk damage because the holes are only the size of a quarter.

FYS777
07-19-2009, 06:54 PM
The damage it only 10 feet from the road, i don't think its skunk damage because the holes are only the size of a quarter.

yep I think squirrel, those are awfully big quarters,

grandview (2006)
07-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Skunk holes get them here all the time.

hoggie
07-19-2009, 08:30 PM
there are hundred of these holes

grandview (2006)
07-19-2009, 09:54 PM

You'd be surprised how many holes one skunk can do in a night.

FYS777
07-19-2009, 10:08 PM
go set a high chair out there and wait, then when time spotlight to make sure they are skunks. i cant wait for the report.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

kirk1701
07-20-2009, 01:54 AM

Lots of squirrel.
and skunks.

They are doing tag team. :laugh:

Wizz
07-20-2009, 02:59 AM
Looks like an animal of some sorts. We get those in our mulch beds and some areas of the lawn, and we have possums and armadillos coming through at night. One evening I caught an armadillo red handed leaving the dig marks which look very similar to yours...he was leaving a perfectly straight line of them, considered grabbing the high-powered air rifle but decided to cut him a break since he was doing what comes naturally and wasn't 'destroying' anything.

RigglePLC
07-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Early July...once you have ruled out firecrackers residue...my vote goes to moles. Three dirt spots in a row along the tunnell. Dig down and see if you can find their tunnels. Moles will be attracted to a well-irrigated lawn if nearby areas become dry. Use a mole trap, worm bait, or get a mole control company to take a look.

kirk1701
07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Early July...once you have ruled out firecrackers residue...my vote goes to moles. Three dirt spots in a row along the tunnell. Dig down and see if you can find their tunnels. Moles will be attracted to a well-irrigated lawn if nearby areas become dry. Use a mole trap, worm bait, or get a mole control company to take a look.

Thats not moles, I can tell you that from experience :rolleyes:

Moles will tunnel, tunnel and tunnel just beneath the surface and he would see some sort of mole hill somewhere in the yard where they went in. Plus, rather then having little quarter sized holes he would see more runs.

I just killed my first mole last week with the Victor Out-O-Sight trap and I'm so thrilled as to how effective they are :weightlifter::drinkup:

hughmcjr
07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
It looks more like small animals like some suggested, but it really looks like birds, starlings, etc digging for worms/crane fly/grubs. The pics are exactly the look of what birds do when I see starlings feeding on bugs in turf.

dougiefresh1967
07-21-2009, 05:26 PM
I have seen birds dig in my mulch for worms. And make about a quarter size hole. Only way to tell for sure is to set up some sort of video. Mabe a motion camera.

Heidi J.
07-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Hmm.. my guess would be voles. They can be destructive little turds! My friend has them and they dig holes everywhere. Good luck!

Hissing Cobra
07-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Something is digging and it could be anything. There's really nothing you can do, so enjoy the lawn for what it is and don't worry about it. I get them all the time in my own yard and while it's a little annoying, I don't fret too much. I'd rather get in my Cobra and go on a cruise. There's more things to worry about than those holes!