PDA

View Full Version : How do i go about Leaf Removal

dwight1moore
07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
First year in the business doing Lawncare and was thinking about what i can do this fall and winter when there is no grass to mow. I know there is always leaf removal but not sure how to go about this. I know there is the old fashioned way with a rake and trash bags but what other ways is there? i have also seen lawn sweepers... Is this a efficient way? I thought about adding higher sides to my 5x8 trailer to hold several bags of leaves.

Also what other fall and winter services could i offer?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas in advance. :)

2low4NH
07-19-2009, 11:42 PM
good luck making any money with a rake. get some nice BP blowers a truck loader/dump trailer. maybe a leaf plow if you have a WB. i have a lawn vac that i use for parking lots but other then that i make most of my money with a blower/mower/truck loader. you gotta spend money to make money. the only way to make good money with leaf removal is to work quick and efficient.

pitrack
07-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I agree, backpack blower is a must.

JDiepstra
07-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Put a mulching kit on a big mower and turn them to dust. No time wasted moving leaves to a pile, loading them, and dumping them somewhere.

2low4NH
07-20-2009, 12:11 AM
you should come up to NH we cant just mulch the leaves down. we can make piles big enough to bury trucks off a quarter acre lot

pitrack
07-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Put a mulching kit on a big mower and turn them to dust. No time wasted moving leaves to a pile, loading them, and dumping them somewhere.

I'm not sure if I feel like that would work in every situation. At least not ones I have been in, the leaves just get so thick. But in other cases, yes, I agree.

dwight1moore
07-20-2009, 10:26 AM
i got a wb and a blower, dont have a truck loader and the loader sounds like it would be expensive. any other way to get them on the truck?

Yater
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Use a tarp.

BigEd
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Lay tarp on ground. Blow leaves on tarp. Pull tarp to truck. Load leaves on truck. Its not rocket science. Use any equipment you have to make it go quicker.

pinecrestwoods
08-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Kinda silly that so many people sound so definitive in their answers. Look at the location of each poster. Apples to oranges. I've got props within a couple blocks of each other that are totally different- one neighborhood is new and the trees are not over 10' tall. Watch or ask the people from your area. Generally, though, a lawn-sweeper is a waste of time for leaves.

Some people on here need to use leaf plows. I can't imagine that quantity!... but they can make money on it!!!

For me, if I can't bag or mulch them, I'll quickly gather the heavier concentration of leaves onto a tarp and drag it to the truck. Sometimes I'll use a blower, but often it's just as fast for me to use a large rake.

Again, I just get the thicker stuff that would be inefficient to bag or mulch. I don't get all of them- I save some for the mower.

That's just me.

JNyz
08-26-2009, 07:26 PM
First year in the business doing Lawncare and was thinking about what i can do this fall and winter when there is no grass to mow. I know there is always leaf removal but not sure how to go about this. I know there is the old fashioned way with a rake and trash bags but what other ways is there? i have also seen lawn sweepers... Is this a efficient way? I thought about adding higher sides to my 5x8 trailer to hold several bags of leaves.

Also what other fall and winter services could i offer?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas in advance. :)

Before you go into on the job training, get yourself a job with a contractor who has about 250 residential properties he maintains. Work for him for a full year and do your properties on your free time. You will learn much more in that year then you will learn in the next 5 working for yourself. You will also learn if you want to do landscape contracting full time for your career. One more thing, you will have a steady paycheck.

STIHL GUY
08-27-2009, 12:54 AM
you can get by with a BP blower and truck untill you can afford the other stuff

jeffslawnservice
08-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Before you go into on the job training, get yourself a job with a contractor who has about 250 residential properties he maintains. Work for him for a full year and do your properties on your free time. You will learn much more in that year then you will learn in the next 5 working for yourself. You will also learn if you want to do landscape contracting full time for your career. One more thing, you will have a steady paycheck.

I am doing that now. Has proved really useful and I have learned alot plus got a steady pay check plus doing my work on the side. I strongly recommend working for someone else before you go into the biz yourself. It can also tell you if you really want to go into the biz or if landscaping is just not for you. Best decision i made in awhile, working for another landscaper. I learned so much.

baddboygeorge
08-28-2009, 02:36 AM
How many of you all have ever raked an bagged leaves, thats the method 99% of all homeowners have to accomplish, thats a very time consuming method . In this day an time who has the time to rake a yard?? The best marketing tool for leaf work is to demonstrate your ability!
If you plan on a successful leaf operation you need the rite equipment, the three must haves are , a loader, good back pack blower ,an someway to move piles of leaves quickly (I.E mower with leaf plow , 4 wheeler etc.)You also need a few guys that work well together an know the procedures to leaf work if not things can get complicated an frustrating!When you get an operation down pat you can rock an roll in the leaf business.When that takes place leaf work can be a very lucrative operation. I can promise ya leaf work is not easy work , its dirty , dusty, stinky,down rite hard work an takes a few years to get the bugs worked out of a good solid leaf program. I promise if you if you invest wisely in this seasonal operation, build a good solid clientel, do a good job , your phone will be ringing off the hook,,,
I started working in the Lawn an Garden industry in 1983 alot has changed since then. In 1994 when I went on my own in business I knew leaf season was a must . I saw the need for leaf work. Every year since then I have catered to my leaf operation. I never dreamed 15 years later I would have over 230 leaf customers an generating a leaf revenue of 50k plus . Guys its out there if you want it. I see so many companies that pass up this season in all , its great for me cause I keep building my leaf customers one leaf at a time!!

JNyz
08-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Wow, someone on this board that knows what he is doing. Good Luck George, I hope you increase your biz this year.

baddboygeorge
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
This year is already in the works, Thank you! George

RigglePLC
08-29-2009, 02:47 PM
For starters (if you don't have a vacuum loader) mow the leaves a couple times to make them small particles. Blow whatever is left onto tarps. Tie the corners together and drag to your truck or trailer. When you get about ten tarp balls on the truck. Tie down. Head to your drop off. Untie the corners and pull the tarps out.

Just thinking, could you tie the edges of a long tarp filled with leaves together. Add a few wrap around bungee cords. Then you would have a 10 foot long, 3 foot diameter "log" of leaves. Tie off the ends like a roach. If you have the strength to load them--an average 3/4 ton pickup could carry about 7 or 8.

cylinder3missfire
08-29-2009, 11:01 PM
We had a vac truck about the same size as the city has. One guy would take the bp blower and go around the house,landscape,etc. Two guys on grasshoppers six foot decks and bagging hoppers would bag them up and dump them for the vac truck. Blow, Mow, Dump, Suck, and we were on to the next. When the truck was full we would dump in the trailer while he went to empty. Had 6 foot sides full length with roll up tarp for fall on every trailer.