PDA

View Full Version : mulching

thompsonslawncare
07-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Okay well last week i got a call to go look at a guys property to give him a price on removing about 6 bushes cleaning out beds and laying mulch.Now this guy has 1n half acres of land and no grass all flower beds he told me he was buying the mulch and it would take about 12 yards so i went home came up with a price and told him 750.00 he told me it was to much he would do it him self he then calls me on monday night and says hey how about 15$ an hour each person you have here i said let me figure a few things out so i ended up telling him i would do it so me and another guy go out tuesday and worked for about 4 hours on his job we then went back the next day and worked 8 hours and then thursday came around and we were gonna finish it up well he calls and tells me he was only paying me 500 to do the job, so i said well then im not going to be able to work past lunch time today and he says well then load up your things now and leave. well i told him i was billing him for the time i had to wait there for a check since we already had plans of getting after we were done thursday. well he wasnt to happy about that but what do you guys think.

I dont think my price of 750 was bad at all the guy that went out there with me said the company he used to work for would have charged about 1500...and also it ended up being 18 yards he needed

ChunkyBeaver
07-20-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't even entertain the thought of letting a customer "tell" me how much he is going to pay me for a job. My hourly labor rate is $37.50 a man hour and that's what I consider a competitive rate for my area. It seemed obvious this guy was gonna be a pain in the neck from the start, you should have saved your time and told him to hire the neighbor boys to do his grunt work. Lesson learned.:hammerhead:

siclmn
07-20-2009, 01:19 AM
You sound like a young man with out a lot of experience. You will learn from this one and in time you will become better at talking to a customer. You are the boss, not them.

Lawnut101
07-20-2009, 01:25 AM
My price would be $780 for 12 yds if I was buying it, or around $500 to just spread it if he was buying it. For 18 yards it would be somewhere around $1200, or around your price just to spread it. Sounds like he is a dufus. I don't work for those people anymore. You will get quite a few people like that in your early years. Hang in there.