PDA

View Full Version : 16 yo start up how often do i mow

spencerr
07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
the big guys that mow my block I beleive come around every 2 wks, but so many diffrent companies hard to keep track. im in philly I have 8 accounts on my street, problem is some teat their lawns in the spring and winter no weeds, so it still looks ok at 1 1/2 weeks, other have those high weeds at that timelooks terrible. im only charging $15 a cut. should i suggest they put down some weed n feed in the fall, or just cut more often for those that need it.

amp_driven
07-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Forget helping them with thoughts of weed control .Just ask if they want it cut every week and make your $$$$$$ Is $15 with a trim too ?

spencerr
07-20-2009, 03:44 PM
yes that includes a trim

TurfTrimmer 92
07-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Where at in Philly?? I live close and can maybe help ya out

A-Land
07-20-2009, 06:08 PM
If they are paying you $15 they don't care how it looks.

HappyGrasslawncare
07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
$15 is way way to low man! you should be getting atleast $25 a lawn for maintenance.
This time of season about every week, unless they ask for every two weeks its up to the customer. Good luck!!

Ryall Landscaping
07-21-2009, 01:14 PM
If they are paying you $15 they don't care how it looks.

That's what I was going to say.

As far as how often to cut it..It depends on too many different things..Amount of rain, is the lawn fert'ed, etc. etc.

NatesLawnCareLLC
07-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Personally I think that as a small sole proprietor it is best to keep your clients happy. I was say if you don't need to cut it don't only cut them as needed, clients will respect the fact that you won't cut grass that doesn't need to be cut. However I would agree with everyone that you need to raise your price $15 a lawn. Gas is like $2.50+/gal?!?!

golfnpreacher
07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I have a client for which I do 14 properties, mostly townhomes with postage stamp sized lots. For some of these it takes me more time to get the mower on and off the trailer than to do the work.

But for these lots, and my other small properties, I do Sept and lat Nov fertilizing for free. Also I do one in the spring as well. I do them fairly light and I can do them all with the "big bag" of Scotts. (For more traditional sized lots I charge for the service, but sometimes I'll throw some down for the first reason listed below.)

My thought is this:
1 - Fertilizing and weed control extends the growing season, so it extends my pay.
2 - Fertilizing and weed control make "my" lawns look better than the neighbors, which keeps the client happy with my services.
3 - Fertilizing and weed control make "my" lawns look better than the neighbors, which is a selling factor for my services.

punt66
07-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a client for which I do 14 properties, mostly townhomes with postage stamp sized lots. For some of these it takes me more time to get the mower on and off the trailer than to do the work.

But for these lots, and my other small properties, I do Sept and lat Nov fertilizing for free. Also I do one in the spring as well. I do them fairly light and I can do them all with the "big bag" of Scotts. (For more traditional sized lots I charge for the service, but sometimes I'll throw some down for the first reason listed below.)

My thought is this:
1 - Fertilizing and weed control extends the growing season, so it extends my pay.
2 - Fertilizing and weed control make "my" lawns look better than the neighbors, which keeps the client happy with my services.
3 - Fertilizing and weed control make "my" lawns look better than the neighbors, which is a selling factor for my services.

so you carry a pesticide license and give your service away?

A-Land
07-21-2009, 06:23 PM

My thought is this:

No, what you have to do is wait until the middle of summer when they start to burn out, and give them a heavy dose of iron. Now that's impressive.

A-Land
07-21-2009, 06:24 PM
so you carry a pesticide license and give your service away?

:nono::nono::nono: lol

lilmarvin4064
07-21-2009, 06:29 PM
... Fertilizing and weed control ... including weed control, means you have to have a pesticide license, which means you have to be 18 in most states. Check your states requirements for applying fertilizer (DACS).

In the spring, fertilized lawns should be cut once a week, maybe every 2 summer through fall. Sometimes every 10 days in early fall.

I would charge $25 to $35 depending on their size and distance.

tinman
07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
cut as often as needed and what the market will tolerate. $15 is low by anyone's standards

golfnpreacher
07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
If I am applying a product that is available retail I don't need a special license.

Also, $15 dollars for 15 minutes of work isn't a bad deal. I can live off of a rate of $60 an hour.

NatesLawnCareLLC
07-23-2009, 12:33 AM
If I am applying a product that is available retail I don't need a special license.

:nono:
Actually I do believe that you need a license if you are buying chemicals and applying them on property that isn't yours. Because I buy my chemicals from a retailer, they just happen to be a wholesale retailer. Anyone who applies chemicals should have the certification and understand what they are treating for specifically....Not just "Broadleaf" or "Insects"

lilmarvin4064
07-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Also, $15 dollars for 15 minutes of work isn't a bad deal. I can live off of a rate of $60 an hour.

yep, what Nate said. It doesn't matter where you buy a pesticide. If you buy a can of "bug killer" from 7-11 and you are charging to apply it on a customer's property, then you need a license to do it.

$60 dollars an hour? So you are saying that you have zero overhead, and don't have to drive between properties? You don't have a truck, don't have to buy gas, and don't have insurance? That must be nice!

STIHL GUY
07-24-2009, 11:18 PM
i mow every week and the least i get for a lawn is $25

golfnpreacher
07-24-2009, 11:28 PM
$60 dollars an hour? So you are saying that you have zero overhead, and don't have to drive between properties? You don't have a truck, don't have to buy gas, and don't have insurance? That must be nice!

Never said I made $60 an hour profit, never said I don't have overhead. But, apparently you want to find fault so you overlooked that. I'm making a profit of over $25, after expenses and putting away for re-investment. I can live off of $25, sorry if you can't.

bugguy8
07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Yes you do need a License to apply pesticide/insecticide or fungicide on anyones property, even if you can buy it from Home Depot/Wal Mart...

Here is an email I received from the Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control. Its from the State of Florida though....

In order to use any pesticide/insecticide or fungicides on someone elseís property, you must have a license through the state of Florida. It does not matter if it can be purchased at Home Depot or Walmart. For lawn companies we have a Limited Commercial Landscape Maintenance license which would allow you to treat plant beds and ornamental plants only. You will not be able to treat entire lawns with this license. To begin, you will need 6 hours of classes. Here is a list of class providers http://www.flaes.org/pdf/Memo_835.pdf . You will need to submit the Record of Attendance for the classes along with the application http://www.flaes.org/pdf/lndspckt.pdf , a photo and $150. When those items are received, an approval letter will be sent to you to take the exam. The exams are held at your county extension office, so you will need to contact them to find out when they are offering it. (Some extension offices will offer the 6 hour class and the exam in the same day) You must pass the exam with a 75% or better and upon passing, you will need to submit a Certificate of Insurance for General Liability.

The above attachments are our laws and regulations. Florida Statutes Chapter 482.156 deals specifically with this license.

You may also find more information on our website www.flaes.org

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

Michelle Branch

Certified Operator Exam Desk

Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control

1203 Governors Square Blvd. Ste 300

Tallahassee, Fl. 32301

850-921-4177-office

850-410-0724-fax

I hope this email helped someone out........:dancing:

SunState Lawn Care inc
07-25-2009, 11:19 PM
$15 is way way to low man! you should be getting atleast $25 a lawn for maintenance.
This time of season about every week, unless they ask for every two weeks its up to the customer. Good luck!!

HG if your only charging $25.00 in Jax you need to go up on your prices..... there are very few yards that are only worth $25.00 here in jax unless you just mow and go with no trim work. This is the problem around here all these new guys (not saying your new I have no clue) get started and charge below real market value that is/was being charged then when winter comes around all the new guys that were going to get rich are gone and the customer wants it done now for $25.00 or even $15.00 from the guys that hung in there. I saw a cadillac two days ago pulling a lawn trailer mowing in Fernandina.