PDA

View Full Version : Pack fill volume

White Gardens
07-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm using CA-6 crushed stone base for patio and a paver walkway.

I'm trying to get my estimate right, so my question is how much are either a ton or yard will cover after compacted. I've never estimated a project this large, so any help is appreciated.

I'm thinking somewhere around 20 square feet at 6 inches deep.

What has been your experience ??

Humble Earth Mover
07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Man, all that college and they didn't teach you that? LOL Just kidding.

Here's how I do it.

Take your square footage and multiply it by your desired stone depth. For 6 inches multiply by .5 or divide by 2. This will give your cubic footage of stone. Divide this by 27 (how many cubic feet in a cubic yard). Then multiply by 1.4 to factor in compaction. (some people use 1.5, but I found it to be a little too heavy of a compaction factor)

20 * .5 / 27 * 1.4 = .5185 yards of material.

To convert to tonage I convert the total yardage to pounds by multiplying it by 3288 (pounds in a cubic yard of crushed stone) and then dividing that number by 2204 (pounds in an imperial ton)

.5185 * 3288 / 2204 = .7735 tons

I hate ordering by the yard, because it is always off, but when you get to know the supply yard and who's loading, you learn to gauge if it's going to be a heavy yard or a lean one and you can adjust your numbers accordingly. A loader with a built in scale on the bucket is the best.

For estimating, this method will do you just fine. Just figure on ordering a ton of stone or a heavy half yard for your 20 SF project.

Hope that helps. :)

White Gardens
07-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Man, all that college and they didn't teach you that? LOL Just kidding.

Thanks, that equation will work perfectly.

They don't teach you any of that in art appreciation. :laugh:

Math classes had no real world equations like that either. I did remember how to figure the area of a half circle though.

Luckily the material is coming from a yard that supplies by weight, so I won't have to try and figure how big the yard is.

White Gardens
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Ha, just did the math.

I was only 3 tons off of my estimate.

Humble Earth Mover
07-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Do you use Google Sketchup at all for estimating? You can draw out a shape and click on it to find out the square footage. Makes it easy for those weird curving shapes that we all like to design. I also modified one of the plugin scripts for the program to find both tonage and cubic yardage of compacted stone for any given area. The formula in the script can find cubic yards with or without compaction so you can easily figure out concrete for footers as well.

I use it all the time in real world installation and my numbers are always dead on.

White Gardens
07-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Huh, never heard of it. Generally I don't do too many larger installs of this magnitude, so I've never looked around for something like that.

I'll have to check it out, thanks for the tips Thumbs Up

I really hope the HO goes through with the whole design. 800 square feet of patio, plants, and 350 feet of paver sidewalks. The design is in my thread in the landscaping section.

Feel free as an experienced hardscaper to give some criticism.