PDA

View Full Version : How to change lawn mower pull cord

FIRESCOOBY
04-17-2002, 01:04 AM
I acquired a 21" push mower to use as my trim mower. It has a 3.5hp B&S motor. The pull cord is done. It wont retract back into motor and it is frayed. Can someone tell me how or tell me where I can find out how to change the pull cord?

Thanks

Russo
04-19-2002, 10:13 AM
There isn't any real majic to it. And I don't know where to find a diagram. But, I would suggest taking the recoil assemly off ( they are usually a whole unit that will come off just by undoing a couple of screws ), see how it works, try and fix it. Hey, the worst that can happen is that you have to take it to a repair shop if you don't figure it out, and if your uncomfortable with doing this, you probably should take it to a shop anyway.

My repair guy gets a good laugh every time a bring him a bag full of parts that USED to be a piece of equipment before I got a hold of it.

Good Luck.

FIRESCOOBY
04-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Thanks...got it put on. Wasnt that hard. Unfortunately there may be some carb probs...wont throttle up or anything. Stalls when reinstall the cover for the filter/ carb. Dont know if it is worth fixin.

Russo
04-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Good to hear.

Before you toss it due to carb problems, make sure it's not just water in the gas or something simple. The symptoms are often the same. If it has sat for a while ( I'm guessing cause you couldn't start it ), drain the old gas and try some new. Also check your fuel filter and air filter, they may be clogged. Let's narrow it down a little more before you bury this thing in the back yard.

FIRESCOOBY
04-19-2002, 05:12 PM
I drained the gas and put new in tank and also put some into the carb to get it fired. I will try the air filter and fuel filter next...they are cheap I would guess.

Any other ideas.

Russo
04-21-2002, 06:17 PM
yes, they're cheap. A couple bucks maybe each. I take it you haven't had any luck yet. Let us know after the fuel and air.

Got any more info that would help? Does it start at all? If so, what actions cause it to stop?