PDA

View Full Version : 25 Gal FIMCO Sprayer Problems

LB1234
07-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Set up my 25 gallon FIMCO sprayer (w/boom) fee weeks back and had it working well. Used it a few times with no problems. Only have been spraying 3-way and acclaim with it. Have used surfactant/s and/or dyes in some of the apps. However, tonight I'm spraying a property and about 10 minutes into it I notice my pressure dropped from 30 psi down to 20. Tried adjusting the bypass valve to get the pressure back up to 30 and it just wouldn't go...she dropped back down to ten. Couldn't get her above 15-20. First thing I checked was the strainers on the tips...no problems there. Nothing in the tank that I can see plugging the intank...The spray wand works fine...the boom not so much.

Is there some type of internal strainer/filter/etc. located in the pump itself? Do you think the line could be plugged...not sure how in the world that could happend but...i just don't know. Obviously not very experienced with this and looking for places to start looking.

thanks for any help/advice.

fastcat
07-20-2009, 10:32 PM
pump might be shot

LB1234
07-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I thought that but I can't imagine it blowing after less than 200 gallons sprayed.

I did find the parts breakout and noticed there is a strainer after the tanks inlet on/off valve. Gonna try and pull that apart tomorrow night.

Grandview
07-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Sounds like a clogged inline strainer. But the hand wand wouldn't work either if that was the case. Kinked hose?

RigglePLC
07-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Clogged strainer is likely. You are on the right track. Drive has a problem in that it settles out, does not resuspend easily. Try to never leave it in the tank for more than a few hours. What is output in gallons per minute? Check this at the gun.

HenryB
07-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Try running 2 gal. of hot water through it.

LB1234
07-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses...appreciate it.

Found the strainer. Found a leaf in the line along with some smaller debris stuck on the screen. The hose (flexible tubing) was also slightly kinked. Not sure how the leaf got in there or how the hose became kinked. Will hook up tomorrow afternoon and attempt to spray some water to see if that was it.

FYI...at 30 PSI and about 2-2.3 mph I can only get 0.667 gallons per 1,000. Tried increasing to 40 psi but the drift is insane. I also rinse imediately (within the hour) after spraying. I have had excellent results so far with the 3-way at 1.1 ounces per 1,000 and no surfactant. So far results have been zilch with Acclaim at .46 oz per k. I just made a second application of acclaim and added a surfactant this time. That was Sunday afternoon. So far no results but says 4-10 days to take affect. we will see.

Anyone know if I can swap out the 2.1 GPM pump for the 3.8 they have available...in other words same bolt pattern/inlet/outlet etc. That way I can get to about gal per k app rate????

RAlmaroad
07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses...appreciate it.

Found the strainer. Found a leaf in the line along with some smaller debris stuck on the screen. The hose (flexible tubing) was also slightly kinked. Not sure how the leaf got in there or how the hose became kinked. Will hook up tomorrow afternoon and attempt to spray some water to see if that was it.

FYI...at 30 PSI and about 2-2.3 mph I can only get 0.667 gallons per 1,000. Tried increasing to 40 psi but the drift is insane. I also rinse imediately (within the hour) after spraying. I have had excellent results so far with the 3-way at 1.1 ounces per 1,000 and no surfactant. So far results have been zilch with Acclaim at .46 oz per k. I just made a second application of acclaim and added a surfactant this time. That was Sunday afternoon. So far no results but says 4-10 days to take affect. we will see.

Anyone know if I can swap out the 2.1 GPM pump for the 3.8 they have available...in other words same bolt pattern/inlet/outlet etc. That way I can get to about gal per k app rate????

I have a new 3.8GPM Shurflo pump that I can sell you. It has the same bolt patters as the 2.1GPM pump. You might get better results slowing down at half of the speed and put more product on weeds. It takes a little longer but great results. Also you can change out your nozzles to give you more product which lowers the pressure a little. If interested in the pump, just PM me. I've built several booms and have several spare parts.

LB1234
07-21-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a new 3.8GPM Shurflo pump that I can sell you. It has the same bolt patters as the 2.1GPM pump. You might get better results slowing down at half of the speed and put more product on weeds. It takes a little longer but great results. Also you can change out your nozzles to give you more product which lowers the pressure a little. If interested in the pump, just PM me. I've built several booms and have several spare parts.

I know...the problem is my speedometer I installed (bike speedometer) only goes as low as 2mph. Once it drops below two it just read zero. I tried welding some "set screws" the the handles of my Z but there are so many slopes were I spray it doesn't work that well.

RigglePLC
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Two thirds gallon per thousand should work fine for most weed control work. No need for excess water to carry the chemical.

Drive is a better crabgrass control. Use MSO or surfactant. Rate is about a third to a half dry ounce per thousand. Or do it the easy way and just say one ounce per 2000 sqft. (About 2 tablespoons. )

LB1234
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Went to start her up after cleaning the screens and I initially couldn't get the pump to turn on. Verified connections, fuses, etc. For craps and giggles I hooked the pump up to a deep cycle marine battery I have on our dump trailer. Fired right up. Adjusted her to 30 psi.

Hooked it back up to the Z battery and tooled around a little while at the house spraying some rinsate. Worked just fine, only 10 minutes though. Mixed up some 3-way and surfactant and went on my way. After about 20 minutes same thing happened...couldn't get the pressure to go above 20 psi.

I'm a little confused and not sure how to narrow down what is causing this. My initial feeling is the battery on the Z doesn't have enough juice to run this thing.?.?. I guess I can place the deep cycle fully charged on the Z and spray with that and see if it happens again.

any more thoughts...

gosh this is turning into a nightmare.

fastcat
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
i have a 10 gal spot sprayer on my wright stander and i have never had any probs with the battery running it.

fastcat
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
12 volts are 12 volts your lawn mower battery could be week. have you checked the voltage on it.

smurfettegreen1
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey, back when I ran a small boom spray rig, I had trouble like that to. Also on my 25 gal tank with wand spray. The pressure would drop and we would run checks on everything but the battery.
Guess what, we switched to marine batteries, because they would hold up for a long time with constant spraying. The smaller batteries, especially the ones running the cart plus the spayer could not maintain the charge.
Just a thought. Check your battery.

Have a wonderful day

LB1234
07-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Thats what I'm leaning towards.

I know 12 volts is 12 volts...but current draw could be different.

RigglePLC
07-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Check your battery with a voltmeter--fully charged it should read about 12.8. With the mower motor running on the Z it should read about 14 volts--which is the proper charging voltage. Could be less at idle. You may need a new battery--heavy duty.

GTP
07-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I've been spraying with a FIMCO for 3 years now. I got a new one this year and I feel your pain. For the last two years I was spraying on a 4-wheeler and weak batteries became a problem. I could only buy top of the line batteries to get any life out of them. I now spray from a 36-volt golf cart and I have no problems at all. Let me go ahead and give you a heads up. Replace all of the shutoff valves on the FIMCO with a metal one. You can get them most anywhere for about $5. The FIMCO's crack easily. The new strainer location is a pain the way I have my tank mounted. I almost have to stand on my head to get to it. It seems to clog alot quicker than the old style strainer that was mounted inside the tank.

LB1234
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
think what I'm going to do if I discover its the battery is just tied one in pararell with the existing.