PDA

View Full Version : Concrete vs. paver walkway

ccas
07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Was planning on putting in a paver walkway on my own. However, I'm starting to reconsider and wondering if it would be cheaper to have someone come in and make a walkway out of concrete. I'm having them come anyway to build some steps for me. What are the advantages of poured concrete over pavers (if any)?

MarcSmith
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
honestly, I can't think of any advantages of solid concrete over pavers...other than price...

concrete can crack, can stain, boring....

can be stained different colors, can have patterns stamped in it easy to install, cheap

Pavers....hardly ever crack, infinite (almost) variety of colors, patterns, styles. yes they can stain as well, but it much easier to replace one or two bricks (or just flip em over) depending on t he product and stains go away... pavers will slow water run-of in that the paver joints are permeable Ie less water going into storm sewers..

yes you do need to sweep sand into the joints every year or so(as needed) yes ther are more labor intensive to put in and thus more costly.

I would consider using pavers to make your front step rather than plain concrete...or at the very least put a paver veneer over the concrete steps so they blend together...if you end up doing a paver walkway

just my thoughts...

Lite4
07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
The only advantage to concrete is a lower upfront cost....thats it.

mapleleaf
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I've actually priced out jobs, one concrete one pavers. The pavers were actually cheaper. The reason is you pay for the cement truck to come and pour. If you are only doing a small walkway, the cost to bring the truck out & small yardage of cement actually is more expensive than getting pavers delivered. At least in my area, I'm sure others will claim their area is much different. Now if they are coming anyway for stairs, possibly the cost will be less now since you're getting more concrete in that same delivery cost.

But I agree with the others, pavers is the way to go! They will out last your concrete. What if you get a crack in the concrete, are you going to rip it up and replace, I doubt it, you'll just live with the ugliness of it all. Pavers won't crack, and if something happened to them, just pick it up and replace it. Anyone can have a plain concrete walk, but pavers make a statement, and boost your home value.

LB1234
08-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Was planning on putting in a paver walkway on my own. However, I'm starting to reconsider and wondering if it would be cheaper to have someone come in and make a walkway out of concrete. I'm having them come anyway to build some steps for me. What are the advantages of poured concrete over pavers (if any)?

yes it will be cheaper...and thats about the only advantage.

Stone Creations
08-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Go Pavers!!!!

sven1277
09-02-2009, 09:01 PM
There are only two types of concrete, new and cracked. Pavers are a better bet.

ccas
06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Follow up... I should have listened. I went with concrete for the price. It looked great for 6 month. As the thaw came it cracked. 3 big cracks. So here is my question.... Any way to fix it? I was thinking of outside tile and covering the walkway.

whosedog
06-05-2010, 02:56 PM
What no expansion joints in the sidewalk?Especially in the NE with our freeze thaw cycles. Whoever did the job,call them back.Ive got 70 year old sidewalk blocks that haven't cracked yet;tree roots move the blocks,then I lift them, grind the roots and reset the blocks.

Woodland
06-05-2010, 03:06 PM
... pavers will slow water run-of in that the paver joints are permeable Ie less water going into storm sewers...

Actually, if properly installed, the amount of permeation on a small walkway that is properly pitched is negligible. The idea behind sloping is to get water off of the pavers as quickly as possible.

ccas
06-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I have called him back. Said he was going to come out on a Monday so I left work early to meet him. He never showed and apologized 2 weeks later when I emailed and asked. He said he would come out 3 days later. Still havent heard anything and it's been a week since then.

I'm annoyed because I asked if I should prep it with sand before he poured. He said it would be fine and I didnt need to. I cant help but think that would have kept it from cracking.

There are joints in it, but one of the cracks goes right across it, another is at a corner and the other is a really long crack where there is a patio area.

whosedog
06-05-2010, 03:26 PM
My slabs are 4-6 inches thick and have a stone base at least 3-4 inches thick under that.I'm just a homeowner,but have put in some concrete by my house (driveway apron,and some blocks)with no cracking.Maybe the ground under your cement wasn't compacted enough?I read that your house was new constuction,maybe settling is occuring? Was no gravel base put down before the pour?

ccas
06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
There was no gravel base put down. I asked him if I should do that and he said he didnt think it needed it. Guess he was wrong.

jimmild
08-30-2014, 07:54 AM
I would go with the Pavers, without any doubts. Its bit expensive, but lasts long as compare to plain concrete walkway.

Jim Mild.
Premier Concrete

alldayrj
08-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Concrete rules. Pavers drool
Posted via Mobile Device

dcfas
08-30-2014, 10:06 AM
There was no gravel base put down. I asked him if I should do that and he said he didnt think it needed it. Guess he was wrong.

Doesn't seem like a pro. He should make it right, but based on his performance already I wouldn't count on it. Hope it works out for you.

94gt331
08-30-2014, 10:13 PM
This thread was 4 years ago, hopefully he got it taken care of by now.

DVS Hardscaper
09-02-2014, 07:39 PM
This thread was 4 years ago, hopefully he got it taken care of by now.

Wondering if he's still in business
Posted via Mobile Device