PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating/Calculating Back Sprayers Area

NatesLawnCareLLC
07-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to calibrate or calculate how much area I can cover with a backpack sprayer. I've used it many for spot treatments but I want to start using it for larger areas.

I've looked for info about how much area it can treat online but I've found nothing. I've tried to calculate myself and I've come up with 4 gals can treat 4100 sq ft. Does that even sound right?

The Sparyer is a Solo #475 Backpack Sprayer D475.

If anyone could help me on this matter that would be nice.

coiclawn
07-21-2009, 04:14 PM
That sounds about right to me. Not sure why you would want to treat a large area with a back pack, but I usually get about 1000 sq.ft per gallon when doing round up treatments.

NatesLawnCareLLC
07-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Client Request. They're very environmentally cautious. I'm suprised they let me even put down some chemicals at all.

ted putnam
07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Client Request. They're very environmentally cautious. I'm suprised they let me even put down some chemicals at all.

So somehow they've gotten the idea that putting down less water(carrier) means there's less active ingredient/1000??? :laugh: Interesting:dizzy:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah your about right, 1 gallon per 1k sq ft. Are you trying to broadcast with a backpack? That is what I do currently. If you are, make sure you keep your pace slow and avoid the temptation to speed your pace to finish - you will not get enough AI on the treated area.

NatesLawnCareLLC
07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah I only plan to hold the nozzle about 12" from the ground and try to keep the pumps steady along with my pace.

Thanks everyone.

lilmarvin4064
07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
yeah, 1G/1000sqft sounds about right. I calibrated my BP with a TP6506 tip and it came out to be almost exactly 1G/1000. If I go slow it is 1.5G/1000.

ArizPestWeed
07-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has a good idea on how to calibrate or calculate how much area I can cover with a backpack sprayer. I've used it many for spot treatments but I want to start using it for larger areas.

I've looked for info about how much area it can treat online but I've found nothing. I've tried to calculate myself and I've come up with 4 gals can treat 4100 sq ft. Does that even sound right?

The Sparyer is a Solo #475 Backpack Sprayer D475.

If anyone could help me on this matter that would be nice.

You never said what you are treating for

EVM
07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I think it sounds right to me. I recall getting around 1-1/2 K per gallon with a wide fan tip, not the adjustable nozzle. I walk a steady pace and mist the weeds as I swipe my hand back and forth, never had a problem with burning grass and always got great kill on target weeds with this method.

smurfettegreen1
07-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi I learned a long time ago, that it is your pace that determines how well you configure your amount. Like D A Quality Lawn said. If you do not maintain the same pace the entire time, your AI will be off.