PDA

View Full Version : Mower Blade Sharpening

RMLand09
07-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Just asking out there- Our crew have been trying to argue with us about the fact we sharpen our mower blades each morning before the crew takes them out. We have always done so 20+ years now. We run walker mowers and 52" walk behinds. They believe it is more cost effective to just replace new blades after a couple of weeks. We know that a sharp blade cuts the grass properly. Just looking for feedback as to a percentage of daily blade sharpeners to others who just replace when they get dull. :usflag:.

Mowbizz
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Just asking out there- Our crew have been trying to argue with us about the fact we sharpen our mower blades each morning before the crew takes them out. We have always done so 20+ years now. We run walker mowers and 52" walk behinds. They believe it is more cost effective to just replace new blades after a couple of weeks. We know that a sharp blade cuts the grass properly. Just looking for feedback as to a percentage of daily blade sharpeners to others who just replace when they get dull. :usflag:.

Do what has worked for you for 20 years...sounds like the "crew" is getting lazy about your morning sharpening ritual.:laugh::laugh:

What's happening to the quality of your cutting after the 1st week of mowing ? Is it satisfactory to you to let the cut quality suffer until new blades are mounted??

clcare2
07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Daily might be a bit much, but it depends on what your cutting. Right now I'm at three days. Spring and fall every other day. I keep the mowers on a rotation so I don't have to do everything in one morning.

I'd tell your crews so shut the he!! up and mow the grass. If they knew the best way to run a business they wouldn't work for you.

Ruben Rocha
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
I can't speak for the grass you have up where you are. But in Florida.
Changing blades each day does two things for me. In the summer at least.
Better cut appearance.
Saves time cutting the God Awful Bahia seed heads. Dull blades means double/triple cutting.

lifetree
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Do what has worked for you for 20 years ...

Daily might be a bit much, but it depends on what your cutting. Right now I'm at three days. Spring and fall every other day. I keep the mowers on a rotation so I don't have to do everything in one morning. ...

I think I agree with both of these ... do what has worked for you for the last 20 years, to an extent ... however, I also agree that everyday may be a bit of overkill !!

4.3mudder
07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I sharpen mine on the ZTR's every 25 hours. On the push mowers, roughly a couple months.

jiggz
07-22-2009, 01:00 AM
by rights they should be sharpened every 8 hours there on the machines counter.. everyday is probally overkill..but buying new blades everytime they get dull is a complete waste of money!! whats a gator these days 15 bucks a pop x 3 a machine thats 40-45 bucks..sharpen your self thell probably last a season if not longer..

there argument is totall bullshit because you have to sharpen all new blades anyway to take the thick coat of paint off thge edge. sooo yea

Stillwater
07-22-2009, 02:25 AM

how many guys do you have sharpening in the am
how many blades are being sharpened
what brand and type of blade
what are you using to sharpen
how many guys are standing around when this takes place
how long is this daily procedure
how many sharpenings are you getting before replacement
what are you paying for blades

with this info I could do a cost to benefit analysis/time study and determine for fact where this procedure lies with the bottom line.

Without this info I can tell you right now you will become more efficient and reduce overhead if you purchased enough blades to just do daily "PM" not "AM" blade exchanges and have 1 guy just sharpen the coming weeks blades at 1 time at the end of the week and eliminate the daily am sharpening, coffee and grab ass.

Stillwater
07-22-2009, 02:29 AM
there argument is totall bullshit because you have to sharpen all new blades anyway to take the thick coat of paint off thge edge. sooo yea

Paint off the edge, Your jokeing right?........

roclin
07-22-2009, 10:56 PM
In the past I would just have extra blades to change every morning or every other day. During the day I would just sharpen and balance each blade for the week.I would also wash the underside of the mowers. You never what you will transfer to the next customers lawn. Also spray bleach mixed with water on your trimmers. Kills blight.

Pietro
07-23-2009, 11:57 AM
We have a few sets of blades per machine, this way we cut down on labor. They can change blades while working, and I will sharpen them every month or so when they are down to 1 last set. Id never pay my guys to sharpen blades every day. That would end up costing me too much time and money.

ron mexico75
07-23-2009, 12:58 PM
there argument is totall bullshit because you have to sharpen all new blades anyway to take the thick coat of paint off thge edge. sooo yea[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing......are you joking?

I was never aware you had to sharpen new blades that the paint wore off very quickly and they were razor sharp from the factory.

Happy Frog
07-23-2009, 01:19 PM
It all depend on your location and the type of lawn you are cutting.

I replace/sharpen my blades after two hours of mowing because of the very sandy soil I cut.

It is not even an option for me as the blades will not cut the Bahia straws when dull.

There is a mower blades dedicated professional belt grinder which can sharpen your blade in a few seconds. It is the best system I know (and yes, I know the Magna-Matic sharpeners). If you have to sharpen your blades every morning, I suggest you look into it. That should save you a bunch of time and money.

I think sharp blades are the way to go, they make the lawn healthier over time than cutting with dull ones.

Happy Frog
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Here is the link to the belt grinder: Burr King 760 Belt Grinder (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=266368)

A1lawncaredfw
07-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Once or Twice a week is good for me!

STIHL GUY
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
you can sharpen blades more that once before they need to be replaced. sounds like you crew doesnt feel like doing this particular task each morning

roclin
07-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I think this thread is done, don't you?

Runner
07-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Actually, addressing te issueof the new blades,...Actually brand new blades are VERY dull (compared to a professional sharpening) when they first come. Not only from the paint thickness, but from the grind of the bevel itself. Sure,...there is a good tip on them, but the blade doesn't cut to it's fullest efficiency as it does when it is properly sharpened. Another thing about new blades, is that many of times, they are out of balance, as well.

Sweet Tater
07-28-2009, 05:30 PM

;);):confused: I certainly hope so, I dont think I am wrong, but I have NEVER sharpened a brand new blade before its first use.

knieme
08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Happy Frog

Do you have a brand name and model of the "mower blades dedicated professional belt grinder" you referred to in your post?

Ken

Happy Frog
08-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Happy Frog

Do you have a brand name and model of the "mower blades dedicated professional belt grinder" you referred to in your post?

Ken

Here is the link to the belt grinder: Burr King 760 Belt Grinder (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=266368)

This thing will sharpen faster than any stone grinder for two reasons:
- higher square foot per minute of grinding
- better evacuation of the heat

Another way to quickly sharpen your blades is to use an angle grinder and flap disc to quickly reshape your edges (when they are really dull) and then use a blade grinder to achieve a proper bevel angle and finish the edges.

tracyalan
08-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Both mowers get their blades sharpened every 2 weeks or sooner if needed. Have a spare blade for each in case needed.

THC
08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I like to have the trailer ready to drive away in the mourning. I sharpen at the end of the day not the beginning.

dvog
09-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I really worry about some of you guys.New blades do not have to be sharpened.They are designed and engineered to cut and last at the thickness they are made.If you make the blades to sharp,it breaks down faster.I keep the factory edge thickness on my blades.I sharpen once or twice per week,and one set of blades last for months and i cut 140 lawns per week.Razor sharp blades break down very fast.If you want to spend massive time and money messing with blades than make them razor sharp.If you want them to last forever maintain the factory edge.

Groomer
09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Dvog has it right, I can make a non-razor sharp edge last a couple weeks this time of year, springtime be another story.

Happy Frog
09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
I really worry about some of you guys.New blades do not have to be sharpened.They are designed and engineered to cut and last at the thickness they are made.If you make the blades to sharp,it breaks down faster.I keep the factory edge thickness on my blades.I sharpen once or twice per week,and one set of blades last for months and i cut 140 lawns per week.Razor sharp blades break down very fast.If you want to spend massive time and money messing with blades than make them razor sharp.If you want them to last forever maintain the factory edge.

Different region, different story.
On my turf, no blade lasts more than a few hours before needing serious sharpening.
To cut Bahia grass, you better have razor sharp blade if you want to cut full speed. With dull blades, even at low speed, you would need to double cut to avoid stringers.

zturncutter
09-07-2009, 11:13 PM
We sharpen daily here in Florida, if you do not you are wasting time and gas in this part of the country. I would tell your crew that it sounds like a good idea to you as long as they will be buying the new blades as needed.

sweetz
09-08-2009, 12:04 AM

Down here your blades need to be razor sharp. They might actually stay sharp for a few hours. Either way though, razor sharp or factory edge sharp, they'll only last a few hours in the sand lots down here.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Does a normal belt grinder work for sharpening? It may be a dumb question but I've got a belt grinder and a bench grinder. It just seems like the belt grinder would be easier than the bench grinder.

tracyalan
09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I use a belt grinder with a fine belt that I use.
I start with a grinder and smooth the ruff edges then use the belt to sharpen.
Tracy