PDA

View Full Version : reversing hose on reel

americanlawn
07-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Once we see cracks in the spray hose lining, we take it off & reverse the hose. This allows us to get more years out of our high pressure hoses. I'm talkin' 400' of (yellow) hose for turf/trees. BTW, when we do this, we also spray paint the reel so it looks nice.

Has anybody else done this over the years? Just curious, cuz there's alot of newbies here.

rscvp, thanks

a plus bob
07-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Once we see cracks in the spray hose lining, we take it off & reverse the hose. This allows us to get more years out of our high pressure hoses. I'm talkin' 400' of (yellow) hose for turf/trees. BTW, when we do this, we also spray paint the reel so it looks nice.

Has anybody else done this over the years? Just curious, cuz there's alot of newbies here.

rscvp, thanks

I "end for end" my hose every year seams to make them last longer ! I like to do it in the winter when its is winterized (blown out)

americanlawn
07-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Cool a plus bob. We blow out the hoses too when we winterize them. With ride-on's, we empty the tanks & run RV antifreeze thru the lines & tanks. We also did this with our tanker truck, but we recently sold if to Young Bros (thanks Young Bros).

RigglePLC
07-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Sure, reverse the hose from time to time, in winter. Most of the wear is in the front 100 feet. Sand off rust. Prime. Paint reel white with brush.

a plus bob
07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Do you use a leader hose (short piece of softer more flexible hose) or just a gun on spray hose ? I have never liked a leader hose but some do .

americanlawn
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Back in the 70's/80's with ChemLawn Corp, we used a leader hose. But then we were using 3/8 hose (turf). Now we use 1/2 high pressue hose w/a swivel on the end of TeeJet lawn guns.

Do you use a leader hose (short piece of softer more flexible hose) or just a gun on spray hose ? I have never liked a leader hose but some do .

Hissing Cobra
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Back when I used to work for The Lawn Company of Cape Cod, we would disassemble our entire truck over the winter and repaint/replumb/rewire the entire truck. Every pump on every truck would either be rebuilt or replaced and the plumbing would get a thorough visual inspection and any hose that was deemed in poor shape, was replaced. Sometimes, every hose on the truck was replaced!

We would also disassemble the reels and sand/paint them before putting the hose back on. When the hoses went back on, they were re-done so that they came out of the bottom of the reel instead of the top. It made the pulling of them a lot easier and the frame of the reel was used as a guide to keep it in place. We would also replace the buttons and electrical wires if that was needed, rebuild the backpacks, spreaders and the JD-9 guns. By the time spring arrived, every truck looked like it just came out of the showroom.

I miss those days 'cause it was fun for me to use my mechanical skills. I don't get to use them too much anymore.

a plus bob
07-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Back when I used to work for The Lawn Company of Cape Cod, we would disassemble our entire truck over the winter and repaint/replumb/rewire the entire truck. Every pump on every truck would either be rebuilt or replaced and the plumbing would get a thorough visual inspection and any hose that was deemed in poor shape, was replaced. Sometimes, every hose on the truck was replaced!

We would also disassemble the reels and sand/paint them before putting the hose back on. When the hoses went back on, they were re-done so that they came out of the bottom of the reel instead of the top. It made the pulling of them a lot easier and the frame of the reel was used as a guide to keep it in place. We would also replace the buttons and electrical wires if that was needed, rebuild the backpacks, spreaders and the JD-9 guns. By the time spring arrived, every truck looked like it just came out of the showroom.

I miss those days 'cause it was fun for me to use my mechanical skills. I don't get to use them too much anymore.

Sounds like a few of us got our start in then Old days of chemlawn :) INDY north branch 1989- tru-green I spent alot of time on those old water buffalos as we called them.

RigglePLC
07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Oh sure. At Trugreen we rebuilt everything every year. But--sometimes we made it worse. We ended up with kinked hydraulic hoses, leaks, and one year tanker T-10 had the sparkplug wires mixed up. We just thought it was a slow truck, top speed 55--didn't discover the problem until 9 months later.

mngrassguy
07-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Speaking of the old TG days, does anyone remember climbing into a tank to scrape the rust out during the winter? Yikes....nightmares again tonight.:cry:

BTW, yes, I do reverse my hose every year or two. I also cut off the last 5' or so and toss it.

RigglePLC
07-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Now THAT was a dirty smelly job. Inside the TruGreen tank with that big agitation shaft going through the center. Rust flakes in your eyes, nose, ears--everywhere. It sure would not be permitted these days. I never thought it did much good--rust happens regardless.