PDA

View Full Version : New Customers Mid Season

greenskeeper44
07-21-2009, 10:17 PM
What do you guys do when you pick up a customer mid season that has ton of crabgrass, goosegrass, and nutsedge because they missed the pre emergent window or the previous lawn care co didnt do their job. Do u just continue on wiht your program and tell them that the summer annuals will die in the fall with the frost or do you spend the time and money on expensive post emergents to clean up their place?

mikesturf
07-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I explain to them that I usually don't take customers mid year because of this problem. Because your previous lawn person didn't do their job, your lawn is now a wreck! I will do what I can to prepare your lawn for next year so that in 2010, it will be one of the best on the block.

r0bh3
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Break out the Drive and Sedgehammer and lay the foundation for the future!

kickin sum grass
07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
tell them that the grassy weed control is extra because you did not do the pre-emergence. No warranty if you didn't get paid. I have had no problem with this.

Heidi J.
07-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Be honest.. tell them you are not a magician:laugh: I pick up several new customers this time of year. But you have to let them know it is a process, if they are not down with that, then let them call Tru Green.:dancing:

EVM
07-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Be honest.. tell them you are not a magician:laugh: I pick up several new customers this time of year. But you have to let them know it is a process, if they are not down with that, then let them call Tru Green.:dancing:
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

tlg
07-23-2009, 06:51 PM
If you don't take that new customer some other company will. They called you for a reason. They need help! Explaining why things are as they are is also why they called you. If you can impress the customer with killing the crabgrass and nutsedge ( and charging for this service ) do it. There is absolutely no reason to not take this kind of customer late in the season.

lilmarvin4064
07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
what TLG said... :clapping:

If you're taking them on now, you should sell them a Fall renovation. And that should include weed control with removal of most grassy weeds, broadleafs, and sedges. Just plan it at least 3-4 weeks before renovation and charge them nicely for it (if they are willing to spend). These are the jobs that I like, because over the course of a few months they will see a dramatic improvement.

If the weather works with you and you are able to plant new seed early enough, You will have much less competition with the new grass. I really believe it is worth removing the weedy annuals before you seed; plus, the nutsedge will just come back anyway unless you treat it.

Anyone can maintain grass decently, at least for a short period of time.

IMO, the most impressed customers, and the best time to start renovations, begin in August.

greenskeeper44
07-23-2009, 08:21 PM
thanks guys most of them agreed to the extra cost of the treatment and understood after i explained to them why they had the crabgrass and nutsedge only had a few that said well wait till the frost kills them out so well get em next spring.