PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn

danielj008
04-17-2002, 03:42 PM
Late last summer I moved into a new home, but decided to wait on the lawn until early next spring. Now that spring is here, I would like some input into my thought process of installing the new lawn. I live in West Michigan, ground is part clay/part dirt? and the lawn is currently overrun with weeds (dandelions, crab grass). My plan is to spray herbicide this week, in three weeks have topsoil brought in and have the lawn hyrdoseeded with Kentucky Bluegrass. Please give me your input on choosing a herbicide, any commonly unasked questions for the hydroseed company (I know to ask if they are licensed, chemicals used, etc.), and is there anything I can do to improve my process. Thank you.

Russo
04-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Welcome to LawnSite.

To wipe out weeds, Round-up or a nock-off product will do fine.

However, there are some things that may improve your process of growing a new lawn. First off, the Fall is the best time of year to install plants or turf. Temperatures are more mild and plants have the longest possible time to "settle" before summer stresses occur. This doesn't mean that it won't work in Spring, it's just not ideal.

Also, topdressing with topsoil can create a great medium for roots to start, but you want the roots to grow quickley into all of the soil, not just the nice new layer. I would suggest some sort of further preparation such as a thorough aeration or tilling.

Ask a local "professional" landscaper to assist you with this process, I'm in TN and don't want to give too much long distance advise. A good landscaper will inspect the soil for proper conditions such as PH and soil type.

Also ask them to set you up with a good fertilizer and weed control program if you want your new lawn to stay healthy and beautiful.

Basically, get a pro for best results on a job like this.

Good Luck!

P.S. You might type your state or city name in the search engine and find one of the good people from this site. Or type in words related to your project and surf for a little while.